Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He needs to clearly spend some time with the valueanalyst lol. Unbelievable that the guy still keeps pushing the Tesla will 3X in 2022 tag line.

I know what a joke. The 200 level is around $154.... another -35% possible but it sounds so far fetch in mind. I am having a terrible day I was just told I need to go back the office 😖.

Closed the first two at midday today at 30-day lows, and SP $272. The $325 is a buy-write at cost that I’ll hold for awhile. Looking to resell after the dust settles on the P/D.

Only remaining covered calls are 111822-c$360 (another buy-write at cost).

Closed the 18Nov22-c$360 at $0.86 after a 2/3 plunge today, ~80% below STO (profit was less since it was a roll). Can’t make myself pull the trigger on Apr23-c$325 since they lost only 1/3 and are still $20; looking for down and in possibilities.

Reactions: corduroy
TSLA dropped from $900 to $300 (pre-pre-split) during the covid crash, so it's definitely possible. There's not much support if we break $200.
The earnings difference between now and 2.5 years ago is massive. The fact that it is even being discussed shows how screwed up the SP is right now.

The earnings difference between now and 2.5 years ago is massive. The fact that it is even being discussed shows how screwed up the SP is right now.
Very true, but I think given TSLA's meteoric rise there are a lot of "investors" who are willing to let the stock go if we hit certain levels for their stop losses.
For some reason I don't remember how I felt during those times and at least the recover was so swift and nice. I hope that happens again. Are you buying puts? I have zero hedging right now.
No, I already closed my puts last week. However, my $250 CC for October 21 are looking really good now. Rolling them to $230 for this Friday.

Sold BPS 210/190 for 10/7 at $0.66 right after the open. Will close if I get the 50% gain today, which is now looking unlikely.

TSLA dropped from $900 to $300 (pre-pre-split) during the covid crash, so it's definitely possible. There's not much support if we break $200.
There's support in the form of my recently paid off HELOC. P/E of <40 at current growth rates with a handful of options attached (FSD, Optimus, etc)... it's just too cheap to ignore. The market would basically be valuing Costco higher with a 13% CAGR.

Very true, but I think given TSLA's meteoric rise there are a lot of "investors" who are willing to let the stock go if we hit certain levels for their stop losses.

No, I already closed my puts last week. However, my $250 CC for October 21 are looking really good now. Rolling them to $230 for this Friday.

Sorry, what?!?! If you're selling ITM CC's (pre-ER), why not sell your shares instead and sell CSP's to buy back in?

It wasn't quite that low.
All intra-day numbers:
Low of $279.30 January 2019
High of $969.00 February 2019
Low of $350.55 March 2019
High of $869.85 April 2019
monthly high/low chart Aug 2018-Aug 2019
SmartSelect_20221003_123202_Sheets.jpg

Sorry, what?!?! If you're selling ITM CC's (pre-ER), why not sell your shares instead and sell CSP's to buy back in?
Because then I would realize a lot of capital gain on my shares. Most of my shares have cost basis of $20-60. With options I take the short term capital gain/loss, and I can always roll when the trade goes against me.

I -am- surprised at how easily the explanations get manipulated to tell a really bad story. The article that came up in my news feed on Fidelity quotes JP Morgan Chase.

The lines that I remember (since I'm not easily finding a link):
- logistics hurdles (because they've already hired all of the available transport - they are somewhat being forced into this unwinding)
- possible demand destruction (because they built them, and they (consumers) didn't come)
As I recall China demand was down so some China production needed to be exported to places like Australia. Of course reduced demand in China isn't good especially with recent promotions like 50% off FSD and insurance discounts. Some think Tesla will need to reduce prices in China.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I'm stuck. Closing 383.33/333.33 December bps would be a huge loss. Rolling to better strikes , none of which will expire worthless , doesn't yield enough extrinsic for the roll to be worth the while... already under a dollar. Gut feel is this downturn in price may be short but also realize it can continue to spiral. On two spreads, both legs are ITM. The third is right around the corner.

I had already spoke to Fidelity about rolling one side , creating calendar spread. No-go, given that these were opened as spreads.

Any thoughts before I bite the bullet and take the loss?

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 1.52.29 PM.png

I'm stuck. Closing 383.33/333.33 December bps would be a huge loss. Rolling to better strikes , none of which will expire worthless , doesn't yield enough extrinsic for the roll to be worth the while... already under a dollar. Gut feel is this downturn in price may be short but also realize it can continue to spiral. On two spreads, both legs are ITM. The third is right around the corner.

I had already spoke to Fidelity about rolling one side , creating calendar spread. No-go, given that these were opened as spreads.

Any thoughts before I bite the bullet and take the loss?
Being fully itm makes this very tough. Can't see prices at the moment but would rolling 6 months minimize the loss and buy some time to recover?

Reactions: intelligator
What a load of nonsense... STO 10x 10/7 -p240 @$6.1

And yes, I have 10x 10/7 -p280 in play which I plan to let exercise (unless there' a reversal)

I can't imagine selling on this "news", anyone with any basic understanding of the reality knows it's not a "miss", it's algos/shorty/gay-bears. F**** 'em!

Unlikely but it wouldn't shock me to see a day 2 of this manufactured sell off. They are not letting the stock price get anywhere close to the 10% number(238.74) which would trigger the short sale restriction or uptick rule.