Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mention naked puts but then call them fully cash secured, but then talk about using available margin, so I’m a touch confused about whether or not you tend to sell cash covered puts or naked puts (margin covered)

Also the last bit you said I think is very important and that is to make sure you leave margin room to manage positions in creative ways. I generally start the week opening positions covered by about 30-40% of my margin for that reason
Sorry about the terminology confusion :)

WHen I was doing so, I sold cash secured short puts. They were technically margin but I did the math and didn't sell more than my cash would back. As a result the available margin fluctuated with the share price. Including some situations where it looked to me like I was fully cash secured but the house surplus was starting to get mighty thin. Almost like Fidelity was reserving more than a theoretical loss would take (I didn't understand is the real answer).

I realize that I don't precisely know what the term naked put means. It's a sold put and for me its cash secured - I've been using the term recently to refer to short puts that aren't part of a spread.

A naked put simply means you do not have cash on hand to buy the shares at the strike if assigned. Nothing more.

The thing that confused me for a long time about margin is that even if you don’t have any margin usage you still have a margin maintenance amount for every position.

Reactions: Tslynk67
A naked put simply means you do not have cash on hand to buy the shares at the strike if assigned. Nothing more.

The thing that confused me for a long time about margin is that even if you don’t have any margin usage you still have a margin maintenance amount for every position.
That's not what a naked put is.
A naked put is when a put option is sold without any offsetting positions.

Has anyone tried Double Calendars?

I was looking into it today and it seems like a cousin of the Iron Condor - both are delta neutral and gain from theta decay, but the double calendar gains as IV increases rather than decreases.

It seems like this could be a great strategy paired with credit spreads or IC's to hedge vega. And if the stock makes a big move, at least IV will pop which should soften the blow. It also looks like better risk reward than an IC with those two profit peaks at 800 and 745 and less chance of max loss.

Having strikes in two different expirations makes me nervous but it seems promising

1632706342601.png

I think the 529 is a great vessel to guard against dads who think options are cool…. And think, junior is going to Harvard this week, let’s buy some leaps baby….. fast forward to end of week with parent researching trade school options…. “Sorry son, I know you worked hard these last 12 years, but what the world needs now are electricians not electrical engineers….”
Coming from an electrician, we do need a lot more electricians. And the pay is fantastic too.

This happened to me as well, though with naked puts. Or maybe I got hit on the other side :)

My 'solution' that helped a lot, was the really really wide put spread. For me that was a $200 wide spread. I chose the short put as if it were a naked put (and still do), and then added a long put that was $200 further OTM. You'll find that the insurance put is probably under $0.50 and will never be worth very much. The overall position will evolve like a naked put until $50 or maybe even $100 ITM. You'll manage it as if its naked, it'll generate most of the same premium as if its naked.

But it'll also be defined risk and thus in an IRA (or how I do naked puts in brokerage) you can do 3-4 of these vs 1 naked put.

The way I'm getting leverage into my account are a series of defined source positions. They show up as margin, house surplus, maintenance excess, etc.. But the positions themselves come from defined risk positions, and thus the maintenance excess / house surplus changes very slowly with the share price, and rapidly with positions coming and going.

In particular I'm buying DITM leaps for lcc's (and have stopped selling cc's against my shares - I HAVE sold off a fair number of the shares, but with the leaps I've netted out at about +50% share equivalents).

I hold large cash balances that I use to back bull put spreads instead of naked puts. I'm using $100 bps these days - I occasionally shrink the spread width, but mostly not. This enables me to sell 7 bps instead of 1 700 strike naked put. And thus the wide spreads - I'd be too likely to sell 14 of the $50 wide spread vs. 1 of the naked puts; the income increase is outstanding, but the risk starts making me uncomfortable. I'd probably be better off returning to the $150 or $200 wide spreads, not because they are a particularly good use of the leverage, but because it acts as a better brake on my 'but but, moar!'.

For me it was naked puts in the Feb/March timeframe. The shares had rocketed up and briefly touched $900. I figured $800 or so was safe, and being aggressive with the puts was important as the shares were heading to the moon, and the put income was helping offset the call losses (I was struggling to keep the cc's up with the share price). Overall income was outstanding.

Then the shares reversed back into the 700s and I didn't roll the puts down NEARLY aggressively enough. Suddenly the calls were all OTM and in great shape, while the puts went deeply enough ITM that there were no longer good rolls available. Since I had just the week previously had a good roll (sm. net credit, $5 strike improvement) while $80 ITM I figured it was just a matter of time to catch back up (because clearly, the shares were going to turn around any day now).

That didn't happen and I lived with those DITM puts for 5ish months before finally resolving them (via bull put spreads!).

Or then - there was the time, back in June, where I added on a call spread to a put spread for the small additional premium. It looks totally safe to me and it was 'free'(*)! It was also a narrow spread ($20 or $40) and it went ITM to 50% ITM and looked like it was going to 100% (insurance call going ITM), and it all seemed to happen in the same day. I was new enough to spreads that I didn't have enough experience on how to manage, and just bought my way out around 50% loss, rather than waiting for a 100% loss.

(*) Where 'free' cost multiple $10k of $.

That's made me really gunshy of call spreads :)

With the naked puts --
What I did right - the puts were fully cash secured, so there was no margin call coming for me.
What I did wrong - didn't roll down aggressively enough, didn't take the loss early enough.

With the call spreads--
What I did right (I think). Take the loss before it got worse. I should have taken it sooner - and that only counts because I had that thought at the time and didn't act on it. Broadly speaking I'm finding that if the conscious thought goes through my brain to close a position for early/small profit vs. hold for later/big profit, act now; or whether its act now to close a position for an early/small loss vs. hold and hope for recovery, act now and take the early/small loss.

The pattern is the same - when I consciously think "close now, or later", then the decision has been made and close now.

Now that I'm doing $100 wide bull put spreads, if the same situation as the naked puts arises I'll be looking at a ~max loss. Ergo - don't let it happen. The things that I see:
1) when the shares are near a local low ($700 is that level right now as I see it), then I can be more aggressive with the put sales. Actually I'd love for the shares to hang out in the 720-760 range for like, forever.
2) when the shares are near a local high, get way way more conservative with the put sales. I may still be selling 730ish level puts even when the shares are going past 800, where I've sold some 730 puts recently when the shares were high 740s.
3) when not near a strong support, assume that any pull back is going to keep going, and roll down for max strike improvement and minimal credit to get to that strong support.
4) AND THEN - be ready to take the loss. An early loss is likely to be relatively small in % terms (it'll be high in absolute $). But it'll also easily be covered by previous sales and/or the next few sales. I've experienced this already with an early loss on call spreads back in June. The % loss was in the 40-70% range (ouch) and the month still made good income. Don't let a single position generate a significant setback.

All of this goes back to the wide spreads. With a $100 wide spread I've got a big range in which to manage them.

Another approach is to use no more than 1/2 of the available margin on whatever size spread one likes, where one of the management choices is to bring more leverage into the position to fund a really big move in the strike. So have the margin available to expand a $50 wide spread to $100 wide spread (or sell 2x of the $50 wide spreads) to improve the short strike and recover a position that is moving against.

This is some great advice my friend.

I've learned several important lessons on vertical credit spreads, they are challenging but amazing. Perhaps the most recent discovery over the weekend is learning why the emotional aspect is so challenging: BOTH the profit and loss accelerate unfavorably with changes in the underlying. Meaning you are more likely to chase the underlying when winning (something very dangerous when leveraged in a spread)... and more likely to panic before necessary when the stock price approaches your sold strike. Doing nothing (which is normally the best thing) is like trying not to put your hands out to brace yourself when falling... The fear tax of exiting a spread not yet ITM has been far more expensive than the greed tax of overchasing end of week profit while booking profits.

Naked means there is no cash supporting it. Cash secured is there is cash or margin to back the purchase.

Edit: added a source

I think he’s wrong.

My Series 7 was decades ago but i remember it the way Investopedia defines it. I will also say when I write a Naked Put with plenty of cash in my account Etrade calls it a Naked Put. Even when I’m sitting at my desk fully clothed. Well, I have my underwear on at least.
Usually.

What Is a Naked Put?​

A naked put is an options strategy in which the investor writes, or sells, put options without holding a short position in the underlying security. A naked put strategy is sometimes referred to as an "uncovered put" or a "short put" and the seller of an uncovered put is known as a naked writer.

I think he’s wrong.

My Series 7 was decades ago but i remember it the way Investopedia defines it. I will also say when I write a Naked Put with plenty of cash in my account Etrade calls it a Naked Put. Even when I’m sitting at my desk fully clothed. Well, I have my underwear on at least.
Usually.

What Is a Naked Put?​

A naked put is an options strategy in which the investor writes, or sells, put options without holding a short position in the underlying security. A naked put strategy is sometimes referred to as an "uncovered put" or a "short put" and the seller of an uncovered put is known as a naked writer.
Various sites define it different ways, but it would seem a little weird to me to call a cash secured put a naked put. But just because I think it’s weird doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Reactions: JustMe
I think he’s wrong.

Usually.

What Is a Naked Put?​

The definition is in everyone’s options agreements they signed with their brokers. Naked is you don’t have the cash to cover the purchase. You have (usually) 1/5 the cash to cover.

919CFE07-ACDF-45E2-B79C-A1783DD49AEC.jpeg

I agreed on the knowledge, but I think last week was an anomaly. Everything pointed to a sub-750 close, even on Friday, pre-market and the first hour of main, it was still the case, then something changed and $TSLA started rising very fast, on low volume, against the macros and sector

From what I've read, the most plausible explanation given (here, as it happens) was that is was a gamma-squeeze based on heavy c770 buying, who can predict that? For the usual 9 out of 10 weeks, this doesn't happen, when it does, you've made so much money the previous 9 that you take it on the chin, do what you have to and move on
……or roll for a small credit. 👍

Reactions: JustMe
The definition is in everyone’s options agreements they signed with their brokers. Naked is you don’t have the cash to cover the purchase. You have (usually) 1/5 the cash to cover.

View attachment 714829
I think we've both become obsessed with this definition LOL But these discussions can be a kind of mind exercise . Kind of like Sudoku.

I think you're reading into that form some. It does not define it as much as point out restrictions. Linking Level 2 permission to write cash-secured puts to explain what writing uncovered options are in level 3. That's defining what a naked put is with making a few assumptions.
The first article you linked was to a blogger on Seeking Alpha. I linked to Investopedia. Neither are legal or regulatory entities.
I did find a link to a FINRA Series 3 licensing exam prep site where they gave this definition of a naked put: " a put option written by an investor who has no position in the underlying product."
I also found an an investment attorney's website where he discussed a FINRA case and used this definition: "The technical definition deems a put "naked" or "uncovered" when the option seller does not hold a short position in the underlying security, leading to a risk of losing the difference between the put option's strike price and value of underlying security at the time of the option's exercise."

What matters to me is what do we mean when we are using the term naked put in our discussions?
If someone posts “ I STO 10 x 10/1 735 Puts “ I think most see that as a naked put.
How they got permission to do that trade whether covered by shorting the underlying , using cash or using margin isn’t really that relevant. If it is, usually someone asks how they write their puts, whether using cash or margin
The position is the same as far as it’s P& L and risk of loss goes. Of course the use of margin could also add the risk of a margin call.
At least that’s how I see it.

Has anyone tried Double Calendars?

I was looking into it today and it seems like a cousin of the Iron Condor - both are delta neutral and gain from theta decay, but the double calendar gains as IV increases rather than decreases.

It seems like this could be a great strategy paired with credit spreads or IC's to hedge vega. And if the stock makes a big move, at least IV will pop which should soften the blow. It also looks like better risk reward than an IC with those two profit peaks at 800 and 745 and less chance of max loss.

Having strikes in two different expirations makes me nervous but it seems promising

View attachment 714759
Player around with such an idea & landed on:
Screenshot_20210927_155404.png

Edit: Changed image to one with actual quote-details, POP, etc. pp.

Last edited: