Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all of us on this thread are responsible for about half of that 700 put wall.

maxpain.jpeg

I have 10/1 covered calls to roll this week ($760, currently $23 ITM) — is there an established pattern for say a $10 one-week roll that it’s better to roll on an SP dip, or does it make any difference? I’m guessing the difference widens with SP rising —> out-weeks show rising IV as the dates of so many catalysts get nearer?

Call wall @800 for 10/1 was around 12,600 contracts yesterday. Today already 17,355. The call wall seems tiny compared to the put walls (!) but compared to other weeks call walls of +15k are not to be scoffed at. Food for thought for those holding 800ccs.

Remember: the P&D report will not drop before the weekend. This seems the final week where it seems easier to supress the SP.

Not advice of course. This is $TSLA. For all we know we jump +10% tomorrow.

wow .. despite the insane volume on 800c yesterday, the amount of OI at the 800-strike is nearly unchanged .. wild...

I would have thought that some people would hodl those calls...
Wish I hadn’t moved so fast on the 10/1 $800s I had. I put in an “at market” sell order for Monday’s opening since my calls were 2.5x at Friday close, considering there might be a down day and only 4 DTE, but forgot to factor in a MMD and got nailed during the first hour. They shot up during the day, so I got 1/3 what I could have gotten 🤦‍♂️

wow .. despite the insane volume on 800c yesterday, the amount of OI at the 800-strike is nearly unchanged .. wild...

I would have thought that some people would hodl those calls...
"Nearly unchanged" isn't true IMO. OI for 800-strike is up 37%. It seems tiny since the put walls are insane this week, but if the OI were to rise every day till this friday we will have a pretty decent call wall. 800 was defended yesterday and again this morning. Volume mostly drops off later in the week, so I'm confident there will be opportunities to close 800ccs. (But best before EOThursday. If we get another friday like the last two, we know where this is going).

On the portfolio screen, right click on the option and it will give a link to roll the option. This opens the normal roll window where you can select dates and strikes and review margin/premium impact. If rolling a multi-leg option, click the + sign next to it and it will allow you to roll one leg or Put/Call legs in the case of an IC. You can also use Ctrl/left click then right click to select multiple options to roll or close as a strategy.
Looks like I have to roll a SHOP position. If I roll the sold put, as this is my first time rolling a BPS, do I just pick a strike next week with a credit and then add a bought put separately? Best to just close the bought put for profit?

And somehow put myself into a diagonal spread. Not sure what I'm actually hoping for at this point.

Last edited:
I bought back my ill-timed c770s for a loss on the dip this morning... kept looking at rolls or considering assignment... but I don't have much confidence in down or level weeks just now. Seemed better to take the hit and move on.
Sometimes it helps to BTC during the MMD, then do the STO in the next 24 hours after the SP recovers (have to have a cash cushion). Not advise.

Looks like I have to roll a SHOP position. If I roll the sold put, as this is my first time rolling a BPS, do I just pick a strike next week with a credit and then add a bought put separately? Best to just close the bought put for profit?

And somehow put myself into a diagonal spread. Not sure what I'm actually hoping for at this point.

On IBKR TWS you simply roll the whole spread to the new date and strikes you want. IBKR makes it one operation.