Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, uhm, I just discovered that one of my orders went through in the wrong account. Yay margin! I think I'm going to be finding out just how aggressively Fidelity manages my margin calls tomorrow. The first two (House and Fed) call says I have 5 days to satisfy the shortfall - of course Fidelity can close stuff earlier at their discretion.

The Exchange calls - those say 2 days to satisfy that. At least it's a Friday position - I predict aggressive closing of positions, at least partially, in my near future :)

Sigh

I also need to revisit that account that didn't get any positions opened - I'm missing out on income there!

So what *is* a Fed call? When I read the description it sounds like you didn’t have the margin available to place the order, and normally E*Trade just doesn’t allow me to place orders I can’t “afford”. How can you be allowed to place an order you lack the margin for and then get Fed called after it executes? Does it just mean your margin decreased between placing the order and when it was executed or the end of the day when it was executed or something?

Reactions: juanmedina
800cc 10/1 OI (open interes) update:

monday 9/27: 12.600 (+/-)
tuesday 9/28: 17.355 [+4.755]
wednesday 9/29: 22.520 [+5.165]

The call wall at $800 has therefore nearly doubled since Monday. Volume on these calls was around 120k (!) yesterday, so lots of trading going on. The deeper into the week without $800 being breached the higher the probability IMO of closing below $800 on Friday.

I'm still holding on. Will only think of rolling if we breach $800 on volume.

800cc 10/1 OI (open interes) update:

monday 9/27: 12.600 (+/-)
tuesday 9/28: 17.355 [+4.755]
wednesday 9/29: 22.520 [+5.165]

The call wall at $800 has therefore nearly doubled since Monday. Volume on these calls was around 120k (!) yesterday, so lots of trading going on. The deeper into the week without $800 being breached the higher the probability IMO of closing below $800 on Friday.

I'm still holding on. Will only think of rolling if we breach $800 on volume.

Agreed. This call wall is the only reason I haven't already rolled the BCS side of my IC up. I'm in the red because I opened that position too early, but I'm hopeful that it still ends up profitable.

Just need Elon and everyone else not to leak some earth-shattering data till after Oct 1st. 😁

I wanted to sell some cc's at 820 and held out. I think there's a 5% chance that P&D numbers come out on Friday and if over 230,000, could cause a push over 800. If we get a big push up towards ATH, I want to enjoy the ride. Congress could crap on the parade, but shutdown wouldn't happen until Oct 18th.
I applaud your caution regarding calls, but P&D numbers seem unlikely on Friday 10/1.

The last three years P&D report never came before the 2nd day of the month.
I made a small list, but date is in European format (DD-MM-YYYY):

QuarterDate PD report
2021 Q2
2/07/2021​
2021 Q1
2/04/2021​
2020 Q4
2/01/2021​
2020 Q3
2/10/2020​
2020 Q2
2/07/2020​
2020 Q1
2/04/2020​
2019 Q4
3/01/2020​
2019 Q3
2/10/2019​
2019 Q2
2/07/2019​
2019 Q1
3/04/2019​
2018 Q4
2/01/2019​
2018 Q3
2/10/2018​
2018 Q2
2/07/2018​
2018 Q1
3/04/2018​

Just saying, P&D is not what I'm worried about in the fight for 800. But the anticipation for P&D numbers can be more than enough to rally, so again: your caution is most likely valid.

Rolled my BPS 10/1 650/650s opened 9 days ago up to 10/1 700/600s for $1. I like this strategy of going conservative 8-10 days out then squeezing out more profits as the end of the week becomes clearer.
I'm digging this concept. All things being equal, how much would you say the total credit differs this strategy vs just going directly to the more aggressive strikes 8 to 10 days out?

Exited my 1001C760 yesterday during the dip in a lagging roll strategy — wait a day or two for an uptrend to STO something, possibly out several months to $900 and 1/2 the number of contracts.

SP has opened well up today, so congrats to us on the timing (especially you on such a bold and comprehensive move!), now let's see a recovery of options prices!
In summary:
  • 9/28: BTC 01Oct2021C760 @$30.50
  • 9/29: STO 18Mar2022C900 @$55.00 (44% fewer contracts open)
  • ~$1k credit
  • will probably avoid short-term open covered calls until we see the effect of Austin/Berlin, etc. -- perhaps when SP reaches $900

Last edited:
I'm digging this concept. All things being equal, how much would you say the total credit differs this strategy vs just going directly to the more aggressive strikes 8 to 10 days out?
I haven't run that calculation but I would assume the more aggressive strikes would be a higher total credit. What this strategy is about for me is risk management. Keeping the risk about the same (around 10% probability of ITM) as time goes on by rolling up. This is allowing me to get "close enough" to the total credits of a higher strike, while sleeping better on the weekends.

So what *is* a Fed call? When I read the description it sounds like you didn’t have the margin available to place the order, and normally E*Trade just doesn’t allow me to place orders I can’t “afford”. How can you be allowed to place an order you lack the margin for and then get Fed called after it executes? Does it just mean your margin decreased between placing the order and when it was executed or the end of the day when it was executed or something?
I shouldn't be so blase or ignore about this, but I don't really understand the differences:

SMA/Fed call​

Special memorandum account/Federal call. When the margin equity in the account exceeds the federal "Reg T" requirement of 50%, the amount in excess of the requirement is referred to as the SMA. If the Reg T initial requirement is not met, a Fed call is issued against the account. Generally, Fed calls must be met within 5 business days, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.
Update frequency: Intraday

I know that most of the time, the Fed call is more generous than the House call. In fact most of the time the House call is the most restrictive.

Exchange surplus/call​

An Exchange surplus (also known as NYSE surplus) is the amount of margin equity in the account above the NYSE minimum requirement (currently 25%). If the margin equity in the account falls below 25%, this value will be reflected as an Exchange call. Generally, exchange calls must be met within 48 hours, but Fidelity may cover the call at any time.
Update frequency: Real-Time

This is the one that I didn't ever expect to see.

To be clear I still haven't received a message from Fidelity about any of these calls. I've just got negative balances that I've started managing today - I don't like negative margin balances :)

Reactions: BornToFly
I haven't run that calculation but I would assume the more aggressive strikes would be a higher total credit. What this strategy is about for me is risk management. Keeping the risk about the same (around 10% probability of ITM) as time goes on by rolling up. This is allowing me to get "close enough" to the total credits of a higher strike, while sleeping better on the weekends.
Exactly. If you can get anywhere close to the same total credit, the 2x number of peaceful sleeping hours more than makes up for it. And then there's obviously all that loss avoidance from the outlier weeks with a deeper drop than expected. All you have to do then.....is nothing!

I can't post for about an hour. Me and Ken Griffin are in an epic stare down as he tries to get me to sell my 10/1 $800c's.
Have not blinked. Gonna go take a shower while still staring Ken directly in the eye. With any luck he won't get indicted before I've finished shaving.

Early this morning (30 to 60 minutes into trading?) I had the opportunity to close my BPS for ~45% gains and I strongly considering doing so (shares roughly $5 in the green?). In fact I'd say that most of the time that is exactly what I'd do (think close --> do close). I did close some to make the negative margin balances a lot less negative :)

In this case I decided I'm far enough OTM (730 strike) and I plan to close tomorrow either way to prepare to open on Friday that I decided to let 'em run. The reason for that choice is that I think time decay is strongly in my favor this close to expiration, especially $40+ OTM and I'll have a significantly more profitable close opportunity tomorrow.

Took the "L" on my 10x 780/830 bear call spreads at a $6.5k loss. More than made up for by other gains this week, and I have zero faith in being able to close them at a better price between now and Friday, even though it's certainly possible. Well worth the peace of mind, and I would rather not get caught up in having to roll them in front of a potential freight train of a bull run.