Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we might stay in the channel until the channel starts reflecting less than 50% gain per year.

From Sep 2020 til now (Sep 2021) the channel gave 2.3x gains

From now till Sep 2022 it will give 58% gains (in line with Tesla’s growth)

From Sep 2022 til Sep 2023 it only gives 36% gains

So as long as tesla maintains its growth rate there should be a breakout to the upside before the end of 2023, but maybe not before the end of 2022

All of this ignores PE multiples, changes in fundamentals, etc. But could give an idea of how trustworthy the channel is over time

(Still hoping for a Q3/Q4 breakout though, higher earnings growth than production growth could make this happen way sooner)

Last edited:
Trade is now at net debit, but its not a big deal to move up the short put side to 735-740 for a similar play.

It should be free money unless P/D is a complete disaster.
Looks like it was pretty much for even, not credit or debit. Assuming that's correct, the money is only from 800C, the SP should spike enough to offset IV crush for you to make money. In other words, by saying free money, are you saying you are very confident that we will see a jump past $800 before Oct-08?

I use about 35-40% of the available excess margin liquidity in my accounts to sell options. This leaves a big buffer that I can use to adjust positions if needed.

A lot of us in here started out just selling CC against shares and Puts against cash. Over time much of this has moved to still selling CC but in addition selling BPS and IC in particular against margin or cash depending on the account setup. The reason to migrate to spreads is they allow far greater return on investment and ability to grow an account quickly.

In terms of risk, there have been concerns about big negative moves either forcing a loss or ending up in long term rolls for little account gain. However over time we have also become more knowledgeable in how to manage risk and get out of difficult situations more quickly and cheaply. For example the risk of getting a DITM call or Put exercised is very low as long as you roll early enough that the time (extrinsic) value is high enough that it makes no sense to exercise early. Rolling early can often allow you to roll for a credit, thereby earning more premium. Similarly we've learned to adjust ITM spreads so they close out more quickly. Either increase their number or spread width to get the sold strike OTM or say convert BPS's to BCS's or IC's of equivalent value that can go OTM. These approaches typically require extra margin, which is why it's important to keep a decent buffer.

Combine these management tools with strategies that minimise the risk of things turning sour (eg selling weeklies outside of OI Put/Call walls) and you can begin see some excellent results. In my particular case I've gone from returning a few tenths of a percent return each week to consistently averaging 4-5% return against my entire account value each week over the last 2 months. In terms of losses, I've only had 3 weeks this year that were losses with the aggregate of those losses being just 0.4% of the total option premiums earned to date.

But it's important to take it in small steps, trying things out gradually and safely until you gain experience and increased confidence. There's a huge learning curve to do this consistently but thankfully a lot of what you need can be found in this thread and through learning from what others are doing.
I am trying to understand the margin requirement, and changes to margin requirements you have been through while you were on this options journey.
Do you mind sharing which brokerage these accounts are with? Again asking from margin impact point of view, are these accounts heavily concentrated in TSLA, do you have portfolio margin?

I am trying to understand the margin requirement, and changes to margin requirements you have been through while you were on this options journey.
Do you mind sharing which brokerage these accounts are with? Again asking from margin impact point of view, are these accounts heavily concentrated in TSLA, do you have portfolio margin?
IBKR, 100% TSLA and TSLA Options, Portfolio Margin.

Going back a few months I was constantly rolling DITM Puts from earlier in the year and battling a low margin buffer that would occasionally go into negative territory. I was finally able to clear the DITM Puts with the rising share price and also by converting them to OTM spreads. Over the last couple of months I've had a clean slate and so have been able to grow the excess margin so that I can now generate premium returns keeping a decent margin buffer in place (60-65%).

IBKR does occasionally change its margin requirements and this has probably helped sometimes, although it can be difficult to track. I've just received a bulletin in the last 24 hours from IB (spoiler below) saying they will increase margin scanning by +/_1% after Oct1. This could reduce my available margin but I'll have closed out all short term option positions this week and so will be able to reassess next week.

"The risk-based margin methodology calculates margin requirements by analyzing the potential worst-case loss a portfolio can suffer over a given period (typically one day). The methodology uses a series of hypothetical market scenarios that reflect changes to underlying price and, in the case of options, time decay and changes to implied volatility as well.

These scenarios comprise a “risk array”, which is a set of numerical values that indicate how a particular underlying/contract will gain or lose value under various conditions. Each condition is called a risk scenario. Each risk scenarios represents a gain or loss that particular contract will experience for a particular combination of underlying price change (i.e., price increase up 15%), volatility change (i.e., implied volatility down 75%), and decrease in time to expiration (each, a “scanning range”).

Effective after the close of regular trading hours in New York on Friday, October 1, 2021, IBKR will increase our scanning by +/-1% to all risk arrays.

The effect of this change on the margin treatment is NOT expected to result in a margin deficit in your account U****, based upon calculations at the time of our initial review. However, as market conditions and/or positions and equity within the account may have changed since the time of the initial study, you should examine your portfolio and determine if these changes will create any capital (margin) deficiencies in your account.

Consistent with our stated policy, accounts that are unable to carry a position under this new margin requirement are subject to liquidations to bring the account into margin compliance.

Please contact your local Client Service center if you have any questions regarding this notice."

Now, this is not advice....but I am pretty sure that IV will NOT come down after tomorrow because the P&D report is not the only binary event happening in the next week.
The IV will stay high and possibly continue to increase until the Annual Share Holders Meeting after hours next Thursday.

Play your cards appropriately but I do not see anything happening with the P&D report tomorrow, it will be Saturday at minimum.

I also look forward to a day when Tesla stops sending out the P&D report as it is not material to them or us anymore.
We lose a week each quarter from higher IV but it helps the mission in the long run.
Sort of what I'm expecting from P/D. I did notice that IV on the 10/8 puts was 50s ATM, and low 70s for the strike I was selling. Heaven on earth has to be high IV with low daily changes in the share price as we've been seeing for the last few months. :)

How do you feel about the narrower spreads at lower strikes. Say instead of 1 600/-700 spread, going with 2 625/-675 spreads. Same midpoint however longer for the stock to get to the short leg. Running that model with AH option prices gets you $889 for the 100 spread and $868 for the two 50 spreads. (Fees taken into consideration). The return is slightly better on the 100 spread however your chance of needing to manage the 50 is a lot less.
This is an interesting idea. It's not something I've thought of doing.

In exchange for a reduced need to do any management at all, you are also trading in a shorter 'travel' from max gain to max loss. On the $50 wide spread you achieve max loss at $625 instead of $600. The total of the max loss is the same as you've opened 2x of the $50 wide spreads.

I haven't thought much about it, so my opinion is still weak :)

But I do have a couple of observations that will go into my thinking about this. The first is that one benefit of the $100 wide spread, is that one of my management choices is to roll into 2x the contracts with a $50 wide spread. That should get me a pretty hefty move in the short strike even when I'm pretty deep ITM. The downside, and there always is one, is that when I cut the spread in half and double the contracts, is that now I lose money 2x as fast :)

The second is that I've got a profit generation management choice available that I've used one time. If/when the long put gets cheap enough (basically free) -- think in terms of 2-4 days to expiration -- I can roll up the long put so its $50 away. That cuts my margin reservation in half, and allows me to double up on the number of positions.

In both of these rolls, the committed margin stays the same. I'm just levering up when I think it's safe (or necessary; I still need to think I'm getting out after the roll).
What has been most successful as an exit strategy for BPS from all of your experiences when they end up ITM? Thinking of trying out BPS vs naked/uncovered puts but want to be comfortable with exit strategies first in the event that the sp drops and they end up ITM, given that I would likely be doing a higher number of contracts. With put selling so far I have been comfortable rolling down/out if I get caught pantsdown. I plan on starting far enough OTM that it hopefully wont be an issue but want to be prepared in any event. Do brokerages usually allow rolling of long/short puts independently? Do you have to roll the whole spread? I imagine rolling the short puts out and or down while STC the long puts might be a decent option. Definitely want to avoid assignment. Am I missing something? Would love to hear what has worked for you. Thank you all for the wisdom btw, this thread is amazing :cool:
Several thoughts :)

I don't know about most successful, but I do know that my first preference is a straight up roll. I.e. - if I had -650p/+750p and the shares moved down to $725 and I decide to roll, then my first preference is something like adding a 1 week to expiration, and moving down to 630/730 or something like that. With this sort of roll I'm buying time, but I haven't changed my rate of gain / loss dynamics. I also didn't bring any new margin to the table, so my defined loss hasn't changed.

Rolling the 2 options independently won't be a thing unless you have enough cash to break up the position that way. Generally speaking you'll need to close the short options, and then the long options. The margin on the short options goes through the roof when their insurance goes away. This is also the magic of the roll ticket - by putting all of the changes from the old to the new, your broker can see how your account risk profile changes. There isn't a risk of a market move on you while you're in the middle of doing the individual trades that leaves your broker holding the bag.

The closest to advice I have is to do some small trades and give it a whirl. If you want to force yourself into a roll dynamic, then sell a put spread or put that is ATM. Maybe the 670/770 put spread for a week from Friday. It'll have a nice premium but with only 1 it's not a lot of money on the table ($10k) and to lose it all the shares need to drop below 670. What you hope happens is that the shares trade down to 760 or 750 and your spread goes deeper and deeper ITM, and you need to manage it.

Of course the shares might go up, your big premium spread earns a lot of money, and you need to try again for the week after. (Darn :D).

Or do it as a 730/770 for a smaller spread size. Or do 1 of each.

If you haven't done any, then I'd really suggest starting small and far OTM. If you've been selling puts, then you can use the same logic for choosing the sold put, and add on the more distant insurance put, and just like that you've turned a short put into a put credit spread aka bull put spread. Along these lines, the main reason I've been doing wide spread sizes is that the resulting position behaves almost identically to a short put, and that's what I have over a year of experience with. I like the way short puts work :)

Either way you're looking for experience and insight into the mechanics and how the BPS premium changes with time and the share price. You're also looking forward to some experience with the mechanics of rolling.

And maybe most important (MHO) you'll get to experience some of the emotions that come along with the trade. I've done a few of these test type trades, mostly making money, that I decided I wasn't going to repeat. I made money but I also put too much energy into the trade, or worrying about something that could happen, or ...

I've also done test type trades where I really liked how the trade evolved (the BPS is a recent example).

The basic margin requirements on a BPS are straightforward. With portfolio margin and concentrated positions and stuff it gets more complicated, but it only gets more complicated if you're trying to lever up even further. For a $100 wide spread size you have $10k at risk. The margin reservation is $10k. This is best seen in an IRA, where that $10k/contract is subtracted from cash and goes into a Pending bucket. It stays in that Pending bucket until you close the position - that Pending position is how your broker knows that in the worst case, you can fund closing the position.

For myself, I rely on this basic margin approach even in my brokerage where I have actual margin available. I'm already getting leverage from the BPS (i.e. the $100 wide spread lets me sell 7 600/700 BPS vs 1 700 strike put). Further lowing my margin reservation from $70k in this instance to say $35k (half way point - chosen to make the math easy), and now I can sell 14! Of course I also have that margin reservation change as the shares move, and that could be pretty unhappy making.

There are others here making far more sophisticated use of margin than I that can provide better info. I like reading and learning about it, but I find that I've already got plenty of leverage from buying DITM leap calls, and selling wide put spreads.

A lot of quarters as in 1Q & 2Q?

Naah, before that.

Teslas post-Model-3-rollout first profitable quarter I heard that about Q3 18- (finally it'll be obvious the mass market car is turning the corner for the company!)

Teslas second-in-a-row profitable quarter I heard that about Q4 18- (it'll be so obvious it's profit from here on!)

Teslas first post-model-y-rollout profitable quarter I heard that about - Q3 19 (Model Y ramp in the bag, it's clear sailing to the moon now!)

Teslas second-in-a-row profitable quarter post Y I heard that about Q4 19 (repeat of Q4 18 really)

Teslas 4th-in-a-row profitable quarter I heard that about Q2 2020 (a whole year of profit! MOON BABY!)

Plus, obviously the last couple as well... (OMG 1 billion profit, how is the stock not eleventypepsi dollars now?!)

Until it absolutely slaps them in the face with unmistakable numbers. Pretty sure these 3Q & 4Q numbers can't be ignored or mistaken.

To folks who are paying attention it's been unmistakable for a while.

The market makes it pretty clear a lot of people simply aren't interested in paying attention-(some have deep financial interest in not doing so) especially when you're sure they will HAVE to pay attention.

Naah, before that.

Teslas post-Model-3-rollout first profitable quarter I heard that about Q3 18- (finally it'll be obvious the mass market car is turning the corner for the company!)

Teslas second-in-a-row profitable quarter I heard that about Q4 18- (it'll be so obvious it's profit from here on!)

Teslas first post-model-y-rollout profitable quarter I heard that about - Q3 19 (Model Y ramp in the bag, it's clear sailing to the moon now!)

Teslas second-in-a-row profitable quarter post Y I heard that about Q4 19 (repeat of Q4 18 really)

Teslas 4th-in-a-row profitable quarter I heard that about Q2 2020 (a whole year of profit! MOON BABY!)

Plus, obviously the last couple as well... (OMG 1 billion profit, how is the stock not eleventypepsi dollars now?!)

To folks who are paying attention it's been unmistakable for a while.

The market makes it pretty clear a lot of people simply aren't interested in paying attention-(some have deep financial interest in not doing so) especially when you're sure they will HAVE to pay attention.
It's true that TMC optimism has generally preceded SP rallies, therefore I'm always careful 'betting' on events like P&D, ER, etc.

However, the direction we anticipate does happen, just not when we expect it to. With Model 3 ramp/Tesla becoming profitable it took a while before WallStreet "got it" but when we mooned, we mooned. From October 2019 to January 2021 to be precise.

The difference now is that the ATH from last January has set a bar as in : "after Q4 2020 the stock was already worth that much" (since there were some who bought at that price). Every succesful quarter we don't reach ATH, the value gap between the current SP and ATH becomes greater.

It's possible we keep trading in the $550-$850 range for a long time, but the longer the base, the bigger the breakout.

Personally I do believe the information gap between WallStreet estimates on Q3/Q4 and the true numbers (which will be stellar) is wider than ever and therefore upward pressure on the stock is inevitable. No guarantuees of course, and I'm not gambling on the short term, but there is nothing wrong with using our information advantage to anticipate possible SP moves.

Macros are the greatest threat short term.

EDIT: next to macros, the ramp of Texas and Berlin will matter. If Q4 contains no production in either new factory, that might cause negative bias on the stock.

Macros are the greatest threat short term.

EDIT: next to macros, the ramp of Texas and Berlin will matter. If Q4 contains no production in either new factory, that might cause negative bias on the stock.
I agree strongly with both points.
The first is why I'm happy this morning futures look good. ( I'm short BPS)
"S&P futures vs fair value: +21.10. Nasdaq futures vs fair value: +20.30."
TSLA
Extended hours
$778.01+2.53 (+0.33%)

Reactions: UltradoomY
Why i think a runup COULD happen?
Look at the open-interest in the options market for this & next weeks:

there are nearly no "call walls" that we had before. Not compared to the insane amount of puts we see currently.

For the last months they were always very distinctly visible to the eye (like: big 650 red spike, big 750 green spike - both about equal high).
So i think that market maker will not put up much resistance (only until they can close ore cover their positions), when volume shows up & bids the price higher.

So i think this is 1 obstacle removed. We still need a catalyst (p&d, shareholder meeting, earnings, possible stock split .. any of these could be it).

But well.. i've been wrong in the past (and it cost me a lot of money -.-) - so take my opinion with a grain of salt .. :)

Why i think a runup COULD happen?
Look at the open-interest in the options market for this & next weeks:

there are nearly no "call walls" that we had before. Not compared to the insane amount of puts we see currently.

For the last months they were always very distinctly visible to the eye (like: big 650 red spike, big 750 green spike - both about equal high).
So i think that market maker will not put up much resistance (only until they can close ore cover their positions), when volume shows up & bids the price higher.

So i think this is 1 obstacle removed. We still need a catalyst (p&d, shareholder meeting, earnings, possible stock split .. any of these could be it).

But well.. i've been wrong in the past (and it cost me a lot of money -.-) - so take my opinion with a grain of salt .. :)
I agree and went and looked at all the data on max-pain. No real walls until 3/18/22, which is interesting, as it is a $1000 wall.

And I get that all this data will change dramatically, but it is also helpful to understand the data as it exists today.

OI 3_22.png

What is everyones strategy for next week? Are you selling puts / bps today or waiting until market open Monday? Pending the report, I am tentatively looking at the same 700 puts or a 650/550 BPS.

Personally, I think I am going to wait until Monday morning to sell for 10/8 since it seems likely we will get the P&D report either COB today (unlikely) or over the weekend premarket Monday.

In terms of timing I feel like the tomorrow will provide the best opportunity. Short term traders trying to close their positions before P&D and the usual MMD Friday.

I’m actually planning to buy some calls with a 3-4 week expiry. I just read on teslashaghai Twitter account that Tesla sold 52K cars in China for the month of September.

Buying some ITM calls for Nov 19 expiry. Volume too low and shorts getting trapped imo. Also adding to 690/610 BPS Oct 8th expiry.

I closed up my 800 strike calls expiring today @ .65 (free commission threshold). I'm sure there will be a better price on offer later, but I wanted to clear the decks in case of a rise later in the day. I'm also looking to open some new 630/730 bps today. I don't know if I'll get my price, but this is a play on buy-the-rumor, sell-the-news for me. I anticipate some degree of IV drop and for the shares to be flat to up, so I see 10/8 BPS premiums being a lot lower on Monday than today. (This and $5 is good for a cup of coffee)

The rising value of the USD relative to EUR took me from positive margin usage to negative. (I.e. I had enough fixed margin selling BPS a week ago, but those same margin requirements in USD are worth more in EUR therefore I need more cash balance to hold the positions).

No big deal in this case, I was closing out some BPSes today anyway (expiry today) but it is a good reminder to leave me some more margin buffer for unexpected macros.

What is everyones strategy for next week? Are you selling puts / bps today or waiting until market open Monday? Pending the report, I am tentatively looking at the same 700 puts or a 650/550 BPS.

Personally, I think I am going to wait until Monday morning to sell for 10/8 since it seems likely we will get the P&D report either COB today (unlikely) or over the weekend premarket Monday.

Waiting till Mon/Tue for me. I tried the sell Thurs/Fri last week, and what happened in my case was that I could have actually gotten better positions and made more, or had less stress if I had waited.

Not advice.

If you wait for Monday to sell puts/put spreads, you must be assuming either there will be a price drop (sell the news) or an IV spike. Otherwise you'd be better off selling at a low today (since IV is already reasonably high) and you won't get as much premium for a given put if the price jumps up on Monday.

People seem to feel there's more often an IV crush, though, and production/delivery estimates outside the street seem to be trending high... So if IV doesn't spike then waiting until Monday is betting that either bulls are wrong about P&D, or that it's amazing yet still leads to sell-the-news.

Or... maybe you're talking about selling calls?

Anyway, I'm not selling calls and not waiting for Monday, FWIW.

I closed up my 800 strike calls expiring today @ .65 (free commission threshold). I'm sure there will be a better price on offer later, but I wanted to clear the decks in case of a rise later in the day. I'm also looking to open some new 630/730 bps today. I don't know if I'll get my price, but this is a play on buy-the-rumor, sell-the-news for me. I anticipate some degree of IV drop and for the shares to be flat to up, so I see 10/8 BPS premiums being a lot lower on Monday than today. (This and $5 is good for a cup of coffee)
Part of the reason for me not waiting on my BPS sales (yesterday and today) is that the prices on offer already constitute a really good position in my eyes. I sold some yesterday around 9.20. I figured there was a reasonable likelihood I could get a better price and I did (11.50) with today's sales. But I also figured there was a reasonable likelihood that I was already looking at the best price for the 630/730 put spread I wanted to put on for 10/8, and at $9 apiece, that is a great weekly result for me.

Bird in hand thing - take the $9 and don't worry about whether something better will come along. Heck - it could easily be the case that Monday will have an even BETTER price available, but it could also be the case that it won't. Either way I like the positions - now I'm ready for the share price to turn around!

IV will definitely be lower Monday for Oct8 options then today. The shareholder meeting may keep it up some but binary financial events like P&D are the big drivers of IV changes. I’m planning to sell very OTM put spreads (maximum sold put $700 I think) for Oct8 before close today to take advantage of the high IV.

You are making my reconsider my previous statement . . . at least in regards to opening the BPS side of the IC before Monday.

Reactions: Discoducky
If you wait for Monday to sell puts/put spreads, you must be assuming either there will be a price drop (sell the news) or an IV spike. Otherwise you'd be better off selling at a low today (since IV is already reasonably high) and you won't get as much premium for a given put if the price jumps up on Monday.

People seem to feel there's more often an IV crush, though, and production/delivery estimates outside the street seem to be trending high... So if IV doesn't spike then waiting until Monday is betting that either bulls are wrong about P&D, or that it's amazing yet still leads to sell-the-news.

Yup, just opened 645/745 BPSes at $13.50 net credit, expecting IV crush on Monday...

Same spread sold the previous week, much nearer the money too, only got me $10 net credits, so pretty happy with 13.50s at ~20 bucks OTM for the short leg.