Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those unaware, @generalenthu maintains data on delta hedging requirements given changes in stock price here: https://tsla-oi.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

I believe - not 100% sure - that the table indicates that MMs need to buy 16M additional shares to be delta neutral given today's price action. Maybe someone else can confirm that I'm interpreting the data correctly.

I have a few 1000/1100 BCS for this friday as well. With a $100 spread, one option is to roll the short leg to 1050 and double the number. Is this possible to do in one roll order? I’m on IBKR, and on tws I can’t seem to adjust the quantities of the individual trades in the roll, only the total. Does that make sense?
Yes, but you'll need to set it up through optiontrader (not the rollover tool).

There’s got to be another shoe in the air… right…? Right?

The last time I felt like this was just before we dumped from the 880s early in the year. I just can’t come up with a reason to dump much now. I guess there wasn’t much of a reason then either. Hmm. I’d sell some calls at the top if 1. I had any idea where that was or 2. my butt wasn’t on fire from buying back 970s earlier today.

Reactions: Tslynk67
ok. Now I'm panicking.

We've been here before. Feb. '20 and Jan '21 both come to mind. I thought I was safe selling calls $150 OTM but apparently not lmao. (Me: "Surely TSLA won't add $150B in market cap in one week, right?!")

Technical indicators are all lighting up as overbought - so we'll see. Wouldn't be surprised to see a squeeze and blow-off given the froth.

Reactions: JustMe and Tslynk67
I am glad I only have 10x of them.

I asked the other day about what are you guys doing with your LEAPs mine should be up 100% after today and I bought them in July. I see lots of you talking about going to LEAPs right now but I don't understand the logic when the stock is at AH. The IV is low I get that but I am here considering to actually close them but I do wish the IV was higher lol. When would you guys consider taking profits on those LEAPs? I think @adiggs @pz1975 have similar LEAPs to the ones I have Jun 23 550-500s.
My general plan is to hold the leaps to expiration and sell them then. I have a pile of leaps from June 2023 to Jan 2024. I've seen @Lycanthrope talking about rolling them up to take cash out. I've also considered rolling to a longer date and higher strike to get more of them (it's the same thing really - just spending the cash to buy more/replacement leaps).

For me these are not trading assets. I bought them thinking leap covered calls, but in practice its replacement shares. I buy share replacement long dated leaps when I'm buying calls; otherwise I stay away from buying options :)

Here is the problem with spreads. As the SP gets close to the short leg, the difference between the short and long gets really large. Worse with $100 spreads than $50 (obviously). This week could get interesting..., and expensive....
This is one of those things with at least 2 points of view. The reason that I prefer the $100 wide spread over the $50 wide spread from a risk management point of view is that the wider spread behaves more like a short put. And I already have lots of experience with short puts, so that knowledge base is already in and helps me be successful with these BPS.

I do understand your point of view and its wisdom. It's just not (today) how I think about and manage these.

I opened the day almost completely out of any option positions. I was semi-expecting a pull back that I'd be able to sell a BPS into but that didn't happen. I'm definitely not opening any covered calls the way the shares are going.

I'd like to open BPS but I consider the likelihood of a regression too high, so I've decided to continue watching from the sideline. For the first time since I gave myself permission to not be in the market a few weeks each quarter, I'm really glad that I did that :). Whenever the share price settles back down there will be a new trading range to sell options around, and I can wait for that to come (whether it's a day or two, or a week or two).

I have a few 1000/1100 BCS for this friday as well. With a $100 spread, one option is to roll the short leg to 1050 and double the number. Is this possible to do in one roll order? I’m on IBKR, and on tws I can’t seem to adjust the quantities of the individual trades in the roll, only the total. Does that make sense?
Also looking at extrinsic values right now, looks like you won't be able to do that for credit, not at least on the same expiration.. right now 1000 call is $19 and 1050 is $7.70.

For those unaware, @generalenthu maintains data on delta hedging requirements given changes in stock price here: https://tsla-oi.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

I believe - not 100% sure - that the table indicates that MMs need to buy 16M additional shares to be delta neutral given today's price action. Maybe someone else can confirm that I'm interpreting the data correctly.
Somewhat right. But a lot of the open interest comes from spreads. So it tends to overestimate the actual impact. I think the real number is in the vicinity of ~30% of what's indicated here, which is still huge.

No hard evidence for the 30% number, but just a gut estimate based on movement in the past, volume, etc. Not enough data to deduce that.

Bought 50 $1,000 10/29 calls last week for $1.20... Sold them this morning at $8 and also sold $1,050 10/29 CC for $2.70. Thought I was a genius at the time... then the $1,000 calls ran up to $20+ and the $1,050 CC is now $8. I am an idiot lol...
There will always have been a better trade.
Your $1,000s netted you $44,000 in a week, pretty much my starting income as an engineer back in the day.
And your 1,050 CC are doing better than the 8xx, or 9xx some of us have.
-sincerely bigger id10t

Would you really be that mad if it did?
Depends what it climbs up to. After last years cliff, $900 seemed a good let some go point. After this week? Not so much...but ask me again in a month...