Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm still learning the spreads and reading all your posts, thank you for the wealth of information and examples. Can you please weight in if I'm understanding this correctly for Nov 21:
-1 $1270P
+1 $1265P
Credit $4.65
Max gain: $4.65, Max loss (1270-1265)=5-4.65 = 0.35
is that right?
Something like this:

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Reactions: riverFox and ABC2D
Hi all, I'm still learning the spreads and reading all your posts, thank you for the wealth of information and examples. Can you please weight in if I'm understanding this correctly for Nov 21:
-1 $1270P
+1 $1265P
Credit $4.65
is that right?
That is correct - it is also $100 in the money on both legs a week out.... when we are already up almost $275 in the past 2 weeks.....
Not sure I would make that trade but if you do it - please let us know how it goes.
Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: Tslynk67 and ABC2D
-1 $1270P
+1 $1265P
Credit $4.65
is that right?
Pretty much, though it seems that the credit has gone down, so risk has gone up. (And the option calculator shows that there is a greater than 70% chance that it will be below $1265 and you will be at max loss.)

Reactions: ABC2D
I'll say again that % loss is mostly under your control. Barring a significant gap up/down against you, you can close the position at any time. Given the big leverage of spreads, I can't see any reason personally to allow a 50% loss (by which I assume you mean 50% of the max loss, not 50% relative to premium gained). I'm not sure there is a perfectly absolute rule though like "always close at 100% loss (relative to premium)" but something along those lines is I believe likely much better than getting in a position where you either are forced to take a huge leveraged loss or find yourself having to tie up capital rolling positions for little to no gain and hoping to get out. You can always re-open positions, and if the stock moves hard and fast against you you will get an even better position.
You are correct - that was a 50% of max loss for the position (actually had 3 of them in different accounts, that went for 40-70%), not of the premium received.

Stuff I learned:
- you are absolutely correct; I do have a lot of control over how much loss (%) that I take. I was pretty new to spreads at that point and I made the mistake of taking too big of a position with too small of a spread, not enough knowledge, and not enough smaller positions to start gaining that knowledge and experience.
- I didn't have as clear of an understanding of just how much I have control I have over the loss. BTW - Even with our relatively small steady weekly gains, I bias towards being ready to take larger % losses to give positions time to run and be rolled / managed. If I'm netting 2% / week and take the occasional 20% loss then I'm still ahead each quarter (not as much as I'd like, but still good by any other standard). 20% realized p/l losses are really rare - like 2 this year rare and I'm getting a lot better about lowering even from there.
- early days for me on spreads - I had WAY too narrow of a spread for how close to the money I chose my short call to be. Like $20 wide spread ($$ $$ dancing in my eyes) and the share price went through the midpoint so fast my head was still starting to spin. So I went with the 'take the loss' management choice when it turns out a 1 week roll for time would have been a max win (frequently the case; it's the infrequent cases that can wipe you out though depending on position sizes and management).

Closest to ADVICE I have based on my own learning - establish a small spread position that is hyper aggressive and designed to go ITM and need to be managed. With shares around 1170 that might be an 1150 put (start at least a bit OTM so you see the share price moving into your position and gain that experience also). One might do a range of different spread sizes - pair that 1150 up with an 1130, an 1100, a 1050, a 950, whatever width spreads that sound good to you. One of each of them maybe. Or some small very total position size that is big enough to keep your attention, and small enough that if they all turn into max losses it won't matter.

You may find that you need to run these aggressive spreads for a few weeks or more to have them go ITM. That'll be fun (high % gains), and should not turn into an effort to make more by making the positions bigger - the purpose is education and experience in a controlled sandbox type of circumstance, not the rate of return.

I did something like this a year or so back where I took an ATM cc and kept running it ATM until it assigned (took a few tries). I was consciously and intentionally running the wheel, including going through assignment each way. The Wheel strategy has always been one of my backups / management choices, and I learned that I was fine with shares to cash (put assignment), but did not like the cash to shares assignment (call assignment). What I didn't like was being out of shares and into cash, as I was constantly worried about the shares taking off and me not being ready. The emotional side of that particular strategy didn't work for me, which made it much less likely that I'll ever do that again :)

That is correct - it is also $100 in the money on both legs a week out.... when we are already up almost $275 in the past 2 weeks.....
Not sure I would make that trade but if you do it - please let us know how it goes.
Thanks and good luck!
I couldn't find the original post. The thing about what we're doing and to keep in mind - the positions we take are defined gain and open ended loss. Or with the spreads very high but now defined losses. As this trade illustrates we can dial our risk between likelihood of loss and impact of loss.

In this case the likelihood of a max loss is high (shares under 1265). If we clear that bar then the likelihood of a max gain is also high ($5 wide spread - don't need to exceed the max loss by much). So you're highly likely to lose the .35 credit and thus low impact. That also means low impact on the gain side (.35) so a really big position size won't melt away very fast, but it'll be melting (frequent small losses).

As the larger picture is collecting value through time decay (the extrinsic value goes to 0 as we approach expiration), this position is selling very little time value and thus has little to gain.

Maybe this isn't the right topic for this thread, but does anyone know of a Options trading simulator?

Something like SimCity game where you can build a portfolio and then make changes and have time speed up or slow down or pause? Maybe something like it puts you in different scenarios/time periods randomly so it uses real stock market data and you can pick to know whether you know when you are or not (Black Monday 1929, 1987, 2008, TSLA boom of 2020, Evergrande, etc). Then you can practice managing your IC/BPS/BCS/Butterfly and you rolls/flips/buy/sell strategies?

I know there are "paper trading" portfolios where you can trade against the real market, but I wanted something where you can speed up/slow down the time aspect to be able to learn/practice quicker. Please just ignore this post if you guys think it is off topic.

- I didn't have as clear of an understanding of just how much I have control I have over the loss. BTW - Even with our relatively small steady weekly gains, I bias towards being ready to take larger % losses to give positions time to run and be rolled / managed. If I'm netting 2% / week and take the occasional 20% loss then I'm still ahead each quarter (not as much as I'd like, but still good by any other standard). 20% realized p/l losses are really rare - like 2 this year rare and I'm getting a lot better about lowering even from there.
I think it really comes down to how often something like closing at 100% premium loss happens "errantly". If you are netting 2% per week and take an occasional 2% loss, you can do that 10 times before you have reached the equivalent of the 20%. So if you have two 20% losses per year, you could have twenty 2% losses per year. Furthermore, a new position within the same week at potentially a better price can recover the 2% or a significant portion of it.

I wish I had some good backtested data to support my hypothesis, but the backtesters out there are not generally as flexible as I would like.

Maybe this isn't the right topic for this thread, but does anyone know of a Options trading simulator?

Something like SimCity game where you can build a portfolio and then make changes and have time speed up or slow down or pause? Maybe something like it puts you in different scenarios/time periods randomly so it uses real stock market data and you can pick to know whether you know when you are or not (Black Monday 1929, 1987, 2008, TSLA boom of 2020, Evergrande, etc). Then you can practice managing your IC/BPS/BCS/Butterfly and you rolls/flips/buy/sell strategies?

I know there are "paper trading" portfolios where you can trade against the real market, but I wanted something where you can speed up/slow down the time aspect to be able to learn/practice quicker. Please just ignore this post if you guys think it is off topic.
Tools for doing this stuff better is absolutely on-topic. There is back testing software that is easier and harder to use. It's not quite the same thing as you're asking about but the idea is you can develop your trading system and then let it run through time using the actual data (actual end of day data for the one I found and thought I'd use a lot, and then didn't).

But it isn't a trade on Monday and flip the days forward until you decide its time to trade again; make your trade, etc.. I don't know of anything like this, but it sure sounds interesting.

-1 $1270P
+1 $1265P
Credit $4.65
is that right?
it also carries a risk of early assignment, since hardly any theta and deep itm.
And your short strike might get assigned, and you hopefully will have enough time to exercise the long or sell those shares.. but it's not for certain.
That will not happen automatically.

Those of you trading weeklies on Fidelity just got your commissions cut in half. Saw this when I set my $.10 sell order for a CC.

Warning: (146039) Fidelity is pleased to make this trade commission-free! All online buy to close option orders executed at $0.65 or less are now commission-free.

money.gif

Thinkorswim has an "OnDemand" feature which lets you jump to any point in the past and use real option pricing and lets you pause or speed up time. I have used it to "backtest" scenarios, like selling an ATM put or spread on Februrary 8 and trying different ways of recovering from that. That has allowed me to become more comfortable with what rolling choices are available, but it lacks the pit of your stomach feeling @adiggs stresses is so important, and I agree. It's good for learning mechanics but not stress.

I am really torn about my Jan 2024 $1500 strike CCs. I sold them last week for $164, expecting a pull back, and a plan to buy them back at a profit. Instead, they are now at $295 (80% loss). The fact that yesterday's drop isn't continuing today is making me less confident that we are going to have a drop below $1000 and an opportunity for me to buy them back without a loss. So time for another poll.... I expect the SP to be $3000+ in 2024. Taxable account. Do I

1) Let them expire in 2024 and take my $1,500/share and cry about what could have been.
2) Wait until 2024 and then slowly roll up/out.
3) Sell 10% of the shares now to buy them back and eat the loss.
4) Buy them back using most of my cash without selling shares (and then rely more on margin for my BPS).
4) Do something else (like buying Jan 2024 800 strike LEAPS)?

I'm starting to lean toward #4

reasoning inside head:
- 2+ yrs of anxiety is definitely absolutely not worth it for me
- i don't care for the loss; my YTD capital gain is already too much anyway
- if i BTC now, i can earn more in 2+ years (through compounding) than the loss
- 2024 sp is probably more than 3000
- take the loss and move on; 5 yrs from now, i won't even remember this loss