Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🤷‍♂️
1636240235379.png

Gary is annoyed. He’s bad at hiding it. He knows it’s not about Elon selling his shares, it’s about unforced errors for no reason.

At best, Elon he’s playing 4d chess on shorts and doesn’t care about collateral damage, at worst it’s an “SEC violation” we have to roll our eyes at for 12 months.

I can’t stand when people just can’t hold two things in their head at once 1) we love Elon 2) twitter poll is stupid

Gary is annoyed. He’s bad at hiding it. He knows it’s not about Elon selling his shares, it’s about unforced errors for no reason.

At best, Elon he’s playing 4d chess on shorts and doesn’t care about collateral damage, at worst it’s an “SEC violation” we have to roll our eyes at for 12 months.

I can’t stand when people just can’t hold two things in their head at once 1) we love Elon 2) twitter poll is stupid

Yep. It’s Elon being Elon. Gotta take the good with the unpredictable.

For me it has, and here's how the math worked out.

Let's say you started with $10,000 invested in TSLA on Jan 1, 2020. Based upon Google Finance, that would be worth . . . $137,933.41 as of Friday close.

Now, with doing BPS/BCS/IC conservative trading of that $10,000 into TSLA options, it's pretty easy to get a 5-7% return per week, but let's say it's something even more conservative like 3% (and people here are doing multiples of that).

After the two years, you would be at $186,558.66 (assuming you take 2 weeks off per year from trading.

And year 3 . . . you would be up to $817,987.15.

Even with a modest return per week, it's exponential growth and the numbers get pretty crazy pretty fast.

Obviously if you start out with more than 10k and get a higher return than 3% per week, the numbers become staggering. Really REALLY staggering.

Out of curiosity..what per cent of your portfolio is put into play weekly?

Reactions: elasalle
Now, with doing BPS/BCS/IC conservative trading of that $10,000 into TSLA options, it's pretty easy to get a 5-7% return per week, but let's say it's something even more conservative like 3% (and people here are doing multiples of that).

Obviously if you start out with more than 10k and get a higher return than 3% per week, the numbers become staggering. Really REALLY staggering.
How do you get 5-7% return per week while being conservative? In my opinion, conservative means trading 20+% OTM, and maybe getting $1.5 premium on $200 spreads. That gives you a 1% return/week.

If there's a large dip immediately on Monday, or in the next few days, or next week, I'm struggling to figure out how to take advantage of this in my IRA where I'm zero cash and 100% TSLA and I just started making weekly far OTM CC.

I'm thinking of converting <10% of shares to LEAPS but do I

A. Sell shares outright at the dip prices
B. Write aggressive CC for big premium and hoping to get assigned

I know B is essentially me asking how do I time volatility.

Any suggestions on which Jan 24 strikes?

latest update on decision to sell TSLA in lieu of cash:

my cash/taxable acct has been 100% all-cash for a while and i ❤️ it so much

- "no longer care" if SP is up or down; no emotional roller coaster ride with the ticker

- zero margin used; no threat of margin call; no margin fees; no margin maintenance; i have nothing to do with margin

- since i am only doing Credit Spreads (ie max loss pre-defined and cash reserved for it), then Option Buying Power is a fixed value throughout the day; no need to babysit it to ensure it doesn't drop

- i can open 2x more positions coz underlying gave me only 50% buying power, but cash gives 100% buying power

- as long as i watch the delta and be far OTM, there is less stress overall watching the acct (ie the acct total value doesn't swing as wildly as the SP)

- of course, positions can still go ITM; i spend more time now looking at the "list of all positions and their P/L%" than on the ticker candlesticks; spending more time doing analysis than babysitting

The overall experience is that there is less stress managing the trading acct. Income-wise, i expected to be earning less since i am far OTM (ie part of strategy of going for very high probability of success in exchange for low credits) but the opposite is true: the doubling of contracts made up for the "lost income". Because i am freed from margin, my nightly review is now more focused on "planning what to trade next" rather than doing margin maintenance.

Being an all-cash trader instead of an investor made focusing on wealth creation so so so much simpler: compounding slow and steady profits beating SP appreciation AS LONG AS i am not greedy and i do not chase better premiums.
I moved to all cash (well, 95%) on Friday, and so far I'm loving it too (especially after Elon's tweet, smh). I probably qualify as a "big dog" investor now, as I hit my retirement target last week, and will be transitioning out of my job later this year.

Main reasons I went to cash:
I don't need the stress of long call positions, as I think we're more likely to consolidate here or go down than go up another 300 points.
I am jealous of @Chenkers crazy gains and want to start selling huge #s of Iron Condors.
Unlike @Yoona , I want to start building a stock position (I was long calls and short BPS/BCS/IC) by selling naked puts. I think long term, stock will be more stable and less stressful, and there's a 50/50 chance it will 10x from here over the next 15 years imo.

Here's my basic strategy moving forward:
30% of cash - ICs for income
10% of cash - my standard BPS/BCS strategy that's been working for me so far
30% of current cash, 30% of new cash - ATM puts trying to build a stock position
30% of cash - reserve to manage positions.

Right now I'm low in ICs, because I don't have the strategy down as far as I would like to, and higher on reserve. Plan is to add new cash proportionally to these pots and see how it goes. Hoping for lower volatility and higher realized gains each week. We'll see how this new tweet treats me, lol. Looks like I'm probably having some puts exercised (if I don't decide to roll them for credit to reduce my cost basis)!

Last edited:
Prediction: Elon tweets results of 24-hour poll and clarifies his plan => net minimal effect on SP.
Agreed with this, it's hardly like he's going to dump 19.3million of shares at open on Monday, I don't even think that's allowed for an insider

Will be something done over time in order to not impact the stock price, a clarification of this should soothe some fears

And people also forgetting that he's about to acquire a similar number of shares through his pending options, so end of the day he'll hold almost much, although the overall %age will be lower