Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it was about 1:20pm which seems early for this type of stuff. They dipped in the money for a period but yeah, they would have ended up $20 out of the money and expired worthless. So Fidelity essentially lost me $50k without even sending a message or any type of explanation. Lesson learned but not happy about it.

This is good to know. Thanks. I thought I was cutting it close with mine. I have had TDA call me before when I was flagged and they let me know I was in danger of liquidation. I asked them to give me an hour and they let me resolve it on my own. I thought fidelity gave you until 2 like most other brokerages.

Biggest win: not freaking out during Hertz week and rolling up a month for net credit and having those cc expire worthless

Biggest loss: buying calls the end of the week after p&d thinking that it was short term options manipulation and that the market would really react to how good the results were 🤣
It’s interesting to see how the stock behaves exactly the opposite of what we expect due to MMs, max pain and any money they are out to make on push downs. I understand the stock can’t always go up but when it behaves exactly the opposite of common sense, the herd effect of FOMO buying, buy the rumor, sell the news or momentum is not always the main forces at action. That’s the reason I bought May CCs at 1200 strike price last week. In the near term, SP is impossible to predict but I give myself some time for the market to realize I am right ;)

Biggest win: not freaking out during Hertz week and rolling up a month for net credit and having those cc expire worthless

Biggest loss: buying calls the end of the week after p&d thinking that it was short term options manipulation and that the market would really react to how good the results were 🤣

That’s what you get for sinning :p

Sell options, don’t buy them (unless it’s to close a position). Option buyers have to pay money and lose most of it, especially long-term. Option sellers earn money and get to keep most of it.

Option buyers have to guess the right direction and time is their enemy. Option sellers don’t need to be right about the directon (as long as it’s not a huge move) and time is on their side.

Be the house!

you want 2 new toys? then STO 1/21 BPS x1 -p900/+p800 4 delta $118 credit

1642268867417.png

Sell options, don’t buy them (unless it’s to close a position). Option buyers lose money, especially long-term. Option sellers get to keep money.

Option buyers have to guess the right direction and time is their enemy. Option sellers don’t need to be right about the directon (as long as it’s not a huge move) and time is on their side.

Be the house!
Hey now, don't lump all calls together. Fronting $40 of time value on a year out call with 0.93 Delta for a 45% discount over owning stock is not a terrible idea (about double the delta per $). Especially if you buy it on a >$40 dip.
Unless you are also against owning stock, then you're consistent.

Never wait until expiration day. Brokerages have the right to liquidate the position if there is any “perceived” risk of being ITM.

My brokerage gives me until 2PM on expiration day, at which point they can decide to liquidate at their discretion.
This is good to know. I never knew this until reading this post

Last edited:

Sell options, don’t buy them (unless it’s to close a position). Option buyers have to pay money and lose most of it, especially long-term. Option sellers earn money and get to keep most of it.

Be the house!

Buying LEAPs has been a pretty good deal the last couple of years.

I still hold some and added a few for 1/24.
Tesla’s rate of growth is still under-appreciated and FSD-lotto can make odds of winning better.

Short term calls are more challenging as MMs can screw you if they wish regardless of fundamentals, like we’ve seen lately.
Good money can still be made if you don’t hold these calls, but sell as soon as you have a decent profit. Wins can turn into losses quickly with short term calls. I sometimes hold a few for gambling reasons, but not a significant amount.

Here’re my best performing calls.
240x. I wish I had more of them, but was buying on salary back then, no crazy options income. Of course, it’s more challenging now. Still, odds are not too bad 2 years out.

45788A02-C8F7-4D75-BB14-B2C8F87E0316.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, who knew those 1050 PUTS I sold nearly two weeks ago when the stock price was $1143 would provide such excitement!
I just finished updating my trading log and realized that way back on Dec29th, I sold 1/14 -p1050s/-c1050s straddles at $40 & $72, respectively. The calls expired worthless and puts were $0.39 ITM.:eek: I can’t believe that I was that lucky. Would have been 5% in two weeks. Of course, I wasn’t that lucky because I didn’t hold them to the bitter end, rolling out. Still, netted 5x my monthly expenses on just those profits. The calls are closed and the puts are out to 1/28. Hopefully, the puts will expire worthless, but maybe I’ll just roll out another week and pick up another $10.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Buying LEAPs has been a pretty good deal the last couple of years.

I still hold some and added a few for 1/24.
Tesla’s rate of growth is still under-appreciated and FSD-lotto can make odds of winning better.

Short term calls are more challenging as MMs can screw you if they wish regardless of fundamentals, like we’ve seen lately.
Good money can still be made if you don’t hold these calls, but sell as soon as you have a decent profit. Wins can turn into losses quickly with short term calls. I sometimes hold a few for gambling reasons, but not a significant amount.

Here’re my best performing calls.
240x. I wish I had more of them, but was buying on salary back then, no crazy options income. Of course, it’s more challenging now. Still, odds are not too bad 2 years out.

View attachment 756150

I was indeed referring to short term options. LEAPS are a different story as time is less of a factor (and they can also be used to sell short term options against).

Be the house!

So this brings up a question I had recently. If you go through the OptionAlpha video courses, one of their videos describes your "edge" as an options trader, namely, that IV tends to overestimate actual volatility and therefore options tend to be overpriced and therefore it's better to sell them than to buy them.

He then goes through a lot of historical data for various stocks/ETFs that shows this to be the case: IV does tend to overshoot real volatility in those situations. But then, he refers back to this data in later videos as "proving" that IV tends to be higher than real volatility.

This is where he loses me. He has certainly demonstrated that IV was higher than real volatility in those particular cases/time periods, but there's nothing to me *proving* that this will always be the case, or even be the case more often than not. To me it just looks like a pricing inefficiency, and my gut reaction is that pricing inefficiencies are eventually efficient-marketed in to oblivion.

So, no complaints here about the nice situation we all find ourselves in, but what makes this seem durable to folks here? Why would this pricing inefficiency stick around? Where does it originate? I see lots of folks on here talk about planning on selling options for years in to the future, but are we just just in a weird blip?

Or I guess another way to phrase this: where is our "high frequency trading" equivalent for options? Why isn't the market flooded with more options sellers, bringing prices down and removing this inefficiency?

So this brings up a question I had recently. If you go through the OptionAlpha video courses, one of their videos describes your "edge" as an options trader, namely, that IV tends to overestimate actual volatility and therefore options tend to be overpriced and therefore it's better to sell them than to buy them.

He then goes through a lot of historical data for various stocks/ETFs that shows this to be the case: IV does tend to overshoot real volatility in those situations. But then, he refers back to this data in later videos as "proving" that IV tends to be higher than real volatility.

This is where he loses me. He has certainly demonstrated that IV was higher than real volatility in those particular cases/time periods, but there's nothing to me *proving* that this will always be the case, or even be the case more often than not. To me it just looks like a pricing inefficiency, and my gut reaction is that pricing inefficiencies are eventually efficient-marketed in to oblivion.

So, no complaints here about the nice situation we all find ourselves in, but what makes this seem durable to folks here? Why would this pricing inefficiency stick around? Where does it originate? I see lots of folks on here talk about planning on selling options for years in to the future, but are we just just in a weird blip?

Or I guess another way to phrase this: where is our "high frequency trading" equivalent for options? Why isn't the market flooded with more options sellers, bringing prices down and removing this inefficiency?
Traditionally and historically options buyers are dumb retail money. Selling options has been the domain of the Lords of the Market (market makers) and smart big money, a lot of it insider money (inside the system that is WS, not insider as in companies).

WS makes buying options very easy. I can open an account for 1,000 USD and put it into options immediately (and probably lose it just as fast). The spectacular percentage returners are ALWAYS buys. Just last week bought fifty cent QQQ options expiring the same day that I unloaded for a 200% return. If I had held I would have made over 1,000% on the SAME day. This makes for fantastic advertising. It is like selling lotto tickets. 'Dumb' money tends to be looking for the huge fast returns. There is a lot of dumb money out there. Most options buyers are gamblers. They are not going away anytime soon, unless maybe it is to Draft Kings.

Dumb money is always told over and over how dangerous it is to sell options (my 'financial advisor' at CITI just told me the same thing a couple of weeks ago - and I was talking to him about covered calls!:rolleyes: ). I have an account at Citibank where despite my experience and scorching returns over the past four years (thank you TSLA) I am not allowed to sell put options unless I call and speak to a person. Ridiculous. I have a trust account I funded recently at JP Morgan and asked to be set up to sell CCs and again I was told this would only happen with a live person on the phone (WTF?! Please tell me that up front...).

WS makes selling options very hard. You have to have a relatively huge capital base, either in cash or in equity for it to be worth it. Sells can only make 100% and are liable for theoretically huge or infinite percentage losses (which you are reminded of constantly). You have to know how to manage your margin and risk or you can blow up your account and even be left owing money to the house. And even if you know all this and are good with it, see my above experience with two of the largest banks in the world (granted I can move the money... what a pain in the ass. I have other accounts...sigh).

If you talk to retail 'traders' or stock players, most of them take a while to understand selling a stock short, forget about derivatives in both directions that can be either bought or sold simultaneously. Those with more experience readily acknowledge that selling options is where the consistent money is at, but they usually feel it is complicated and dangerous. That you would be competing with professionals (which of course you are always in any trade in any direction). And then there are those few who have the knowledge, time, patience and capital base to engage in option selling full time and perhaps make spectacular returns on a regular basis over the long term. But it is NOT easy. Ask the people here.

You are right that this is an obvious inefficiency that one would think in the world of 'efficient' markets would at some point be exposed and corrected. But markets are not efficient. They only claim to be. And there is tremendous systemic stacking of the deck to keep it the way it is right now.

About to dip my toe into selling calls. Anyone here sell leaps? Seems to have people buying leaps and not many people selling them. Are shorter term call option selling a better deal in the long run?

I'm looking at selling those strike prices of 2250 or so expiring in June of next year and willing to put the entire lot on the line. Shares being called away at those strike prices = I am retiring anyways

About to dip my toe into selling calls. Anyone here sell leaps? Seems to have people buying leaps and not many people selling them. Are shorter term call option selling a better deal in the long run?

I'm looking at selling those strike prices of 2250 or so expiring in June of next year and willing to put the entire lot on the line. Shares being called away at those strike prices = I am retiring anyways
Selling LEAPs is rarely done around here. I and others have done our own analysis that shows it significantly underperforms (ie<50%) selling shorter term options, eg weeklies. You are effectively locking in a premium at a fixed distance from the current price, at the current IV. Whereas selling weekly premiums you are matching the strike prices and premiums to the current weekly stock price and IV range. This closer matching allows for much higher premiums to be achieved overall and ongoing risk management. It does take more work than the set and forget/hope of selling LEAPS, but some of us also enjoy the weekly/fortnightly cut and thrust. If you move from selling straight CC's to spreads then the premiums will typically be much greater.

The other problem with LEAPS is what is a safe price? Tesla could easily outrun the 2250 strikes for June next year. Think about what the equivalent price to that would have been 18 months ago (TSLA was around $200 then). I recall a lot of people saying they'd be happy to sell all at say $5000 (pre-split) but I expect they've changed their tunes by now. It's easier to sell Puts but then that ties up a lot of your available margin/cash that could be used for gaining higher premiums on shorter term options.

Edit: The other thing worth noting is that more than a few of us have retired anyway, simply on the back of the money we can earn selling options using our shares/cash as margin/backing. In my case I retired at the end of last year after proving to myself that I could regularly sell more in premiums in a week than my annual salary. I won't necessarily be targeting that high going forward but even 'safe' options selling allows me an extravagant retirement income.

Last edited:
Selling LEAPs is rarely done around here. I and others have done our own analysis that shows it significantly underperforms (ie<50%) selling shorter term options, eg weeklies. You are effectively locking in a premium at a fixed distance from the current price, at the current IV. Whereas selling weekly premiums you are matching the strike prices and premiums to the current weekly stock price and IV range. This closer matching allows for much higher premiums to be achieved overall and ongoing risk management. It does take more work than the set and forget/hope of selling LEAPS, but some of us also enjoy the weekly/fortnightly cut and thrust. If you move from selling straight CC's to spreads then the premiums will typically be much greater.

The other problem with LEAPS is what is a safe price? Tesla could easily outrun the 2250 strikes for June next year. Think about what the equivalent price to that would have been 18 months ago (TSLA was around $200 then). I recall a lot of people saying they'd be happy to sell all at say $5000 (pre-split) but I expect they've changed their tunes by now. It's easier to sell Puts but then that ties up a lot of your available margin/cash that could be used for gaining higher premiums on shorter term options.

Edit: The other thing worth noting is that more than a few of us have retired anyway, simply on the back of the money we can earn selling options using our shares/cash as margin/backing. In my case I retired at the end of last year after proving to myself that I could regularly sell more in premiums in a week than my annual salary. I won't necessarily be targeting that high going forward but even 'safe' options selling allows me an extravagant retirement income.
So what is the rule if thumb on safe weekly options?

I would like to see data comparing weekly (which I do) and LEAP covered calls. Clearly, the premiums are higher for weeklies, but if you take into account offsetting costs to close in case of sudden SP rises whether large or just to roll, I wonder if the gap remains over time?

In November, I needed some cash to make a distribution from an IRA so I sold 2x021822C1375 on 11/17 for $50 ($10k), then rolled down once for a $6.50 credit ($1.3), and eventually exited 1/12/22 at a $2.45 BTC (-$0.5). So I made $58 per share in 8 weeks ($7.25/week) which I think is competitive with doing weeklies at fairly aggressive strikes. Of course, this was a period of favorable high/low activity which won't always be repeated, but it seems like longer-term CC might be a reasonable element of a CC strategy.

I'm considering doing a one-year buy-write within an IRA which is a guaranteed return of 24%-40% (assuming SP rises):
  • 012023C1300 = $178.40 + $250 = $428/$1050 = 40%
  • 012023C1050 = $257.30 + $0 = $257/$1050 = 24%
+/- incremental returns from rolling.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb is that if you sold them you should have bought them and if you bought them you should have sold them.:p:p

This really depends on how aggressive you want or need to be. Let me emphasize that to do it properly you do have to devote time, a lot more time than choosing to sell leaps off a big swell. If you are happy with that potential sell price on the leap, remember that if the date approaches and the strike is in play, rolling to yet another leap with higher strike for net credit is a real possibility.

Purely from a safety perspective, 20% is a number thrown around here a lot. Insane that this stock moves as it does. Unprecedented as it is a megacap. Routine daily five to ten percent moves is nuts. But it allows for huge opportunities in selling options.

I have sold 20% OOM CCs after a spike and then had to sweat even though only three or four days left. Have been down 200% or more many times before turning profits. Of course, you can always roll, and if you are devoted and coolheaded, you can probably roll forever.

You are smart and can figure this all out with the excellent people and advice found here. It comes down to the time commitment you want to make. Do you like trading options?

Traditionally and historically options buyers are dumb retail money. Selling options has been the domain of the Lords of the Market (market makers) and smart big money, a lot of it insider money (inside the system that is WS, not insider as in companies).

WS makes buying options very easy. I can open an account for 1,000 USD and put it into options immediately (and probably lose it just as fast). The spectacular percentage returners are ALWAYS buys. Just last week bought fifty cent QQQ options expiring the same day that I unloaded for a 200% return. If I had held I would have made over 1,000% on the SAME day. This makes for fantastic advertising. It is like selling lotto tickets. 'Dumb' money tends to be looking for the huge fast returns. There is a lot of dumb money out there. Most options buyers are gamblers. They are not going away anytime soon, unless maybe it is to Draft Kings.

Dumb money is always told over and over how dangerous it is to sell options (my 'financial advisor' at CITI just told me the same thing a couple of weeks ago - and I was talking to him about covered calls!:rolleyes: ). I have an account at Citibank where despite my experience and scorching returns over the past four years (thank you TSLA) I am not allowed to sell put options unless I call and speak to a person. Ridiculous. I have a trust account I funded recently at JP Morgan and asked to be set up to sell CCs and again I was told this would only happen with a live person on the phone (WTF?! Please tell me that up front...).

WS makes selling options very hard. You have to have a relatively huge capital base, either in cash or in equity for it to be worth it. Sells can only make 100% and are liable for theoretically huge or infinite percentage losses (which you are reminded of constantly). You have to know how to manage your margin and risk or you can blow up your account and even be left owing money to the house. And even if you know all this and are good with it, see my above experience with two of the largest banks in the world (granted I can move the money... what a pain in the ass. I have other accounts...sigh).

If you talk to retail 'traders' or stock players, most of them take a while to understand selling a stock short, forget about derivatives in both directions that can be either bought or sold simultaneously. Those with more experience readily acknowledge that selling options is where the consistent money is at, but they usually feel it is complicated and dangerous. That you would be competing with professionals (which of course you are always in any trade in any direction). And then there are those few who have the knowledge, time, patience and capital base to engage in option selling full time and perhaps make spectacular returns on a regular basis over the long term. But it is NOT easy. Ask the people here.

You are right that this is an obvious inefficiency that one would think in the world of 'efficient' markets would at some point be exposed and corrected. But markets are not efficient. They only claim to be. And there is tremendous systemic stacking of the deck to keep it the way it is right now.
I know we don't have our own Moderators Posts of Merit thread here but if we did..... This would definitely make it in.
Thanks for writing this out, it encapsulates what we are doing and the why of how it can be done for a long time.