Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
rolled my 2/11 900/800 BPS to 880/780, 2/18...it's already under $860 lol. I'm gonna puke.

as @adiggs alluded to, not only gonna have to pay taxes on 2021, but if my options go to max loss that I'm using on margin, what happens then? They liquidate my shares to pay for that, then on top of that I'm paying taxes on those shares?

holy moly....

rolled my 2/11 900/800 BPS to 880/780, 2/18...it's already under $860 lol. I'm gonna puke.

as @adiggs alluded to, not only gonna have to pay taxes on 2021, but if my options go to max loss that I'm using on margin, what happens then? They liquidate my shares to pay for that, then on top of that I'm paying taxes on those shares?

holy moly....

If you're backing spreads with available margin then the negative amount is just added to your margin debt.

They wouldn't force liquidate shares unless you no longer had enough available margin to cover the options loss.
(if you don't have enough then how they handle it varies by broker- from what I've read IBKR for example just auto liquidates stuff to cover- many other brokers just issue a margin call and give the holder 2 days to settle it how they wish- choosing what to sell, depositing more $ from somewhere, etc)

I decided on eating my losses first thing this morning. That translated into a roughly $130 loss on the $150 wide spreads. While I was at it I also closed my Feb calls.

I'm left with Jun 750s that I'm selling cc against (950s this morning - nearly $20 premium). I also sold some cc at 900 on shares that I will be selling anyway though I don't need to immediately. I consciously realize that this violates my sell-into-strength rule. The 900s are a price I'd like to get for those shares (like right now - I also pondered just selling the shares at market but decided I don't need the sale for a few months for taxes, so I'll give it a little bit).

The 950s are on calls with a June expiration. I have already been planning to be aggressive with call sales against those and haven't been as aggressive as I intended. 950 strike this morning is that aggressive position, with a roll to next week available any time.

Then again $870ish might BE weakness for this week.

I am mostly cash now.

I decided to stop fighting the macro headwinds. I haven't seen anything to indicate that there is a change in the Tesla business. But the market can remain irrational longer than I, we have amazingly large economic stimulus that is coming to an end in some form or fashion, and I can't predict how the stock market will respond.

I do remember that the disconnect between economy and stock market back when the pandemic began was huge in my estimation. So large that I even bought some SPY puts as a hedge. That hedge was trivial within the larger portfolio and were just about worthless pretty quickly as the stock market rallied, even as big chunks of the households were having such a tough time of it.

Then stimulus arrived and we've been on a tear since. Now its coming to an end and I don't know how far down we can go.

Well, all my BPS are at max loss right now.

In that position, no need to rush to roll. I'm going to hold until Thursday AM to see what happens Wed with the Fed and TSLA earnings/guidance.

Good luck to all! Hopefully we weather this storm quickly.
My current strategy is to pretend I'm as calm as you are. So far.....not going well.

I don't know anything about gaps but I do know that we are currently sitting $16 lower than we were a year ago. How long do these so called "gaps" last

Insane! I just don't get it, and am really dumbfounded how illogical and irrational the markets are right now with respect to TSLA.

Also, I don't get gaps either. Was asking to see if any of the TA aficionados might pipe in. Clutching at straws might be another way to describe it...

Reactions: UltradoomY
Well, all my BPS are at max loss right now.

In that position, no need to rush to roll. I'm going to hold until Thursday AM to see what happens Wed with the Fed and TSLA earnings/guidance.

Good luck to all! Hopefully we weather this storm quickly.
I am right there with you- so might as well wait. Haven’t been posting here much. +p920/-1090 and +p920/-1020 for this week expiry and +p975/-1075 for next week. If I close now looking at a 7 figure loss. Just holding for now to see if position can be salvaged - May have to do a roll with long expiration, but will wait till Thursday to do so.

Is there any benefit to rolling earlier in the week? Does it help with the roll if the long leg is ITM?

Reactions: strago13
Is there any benefit to rolling earlier in the week? Does it help with the roll if the long leg is ITM?
There is a benefit to rolling early as time value on DITM BPS erodes rapidly as the week goes on and can get very ugly by Friday. I've rolled all my main BPS to Feb4 earlier today to reduce risk. They were debit rolls but there would need to be a major move upwards in the SP after Wednesday to counter the theta. I used Options profit calculator to calculate what SP would need to be to make waiting to roll better. In the end I decided to take a lower risk roll now rather than roll late in the week with there being a sell the news risk. Hopefully there is a good rally into next week and I can roll my BPS for credit or even close some out.

The long leg being ITM definitely helps and you will typically get a credit roll if the SP is around 50% the way into the spread or higher.

I am right there with you- so might as well wait. Haven’t been posting here much. +p920/-1090 and +p920/-1020 for this week expiry and +p975/-1075 for next week. If I close now looking at a 7 figure loss. Just holding for now to see if position can be salvaged - May have to do a roll with long expiration, but will wait till Thursday to do so.

I would assume there is more liquidity earlier in the week than say on a Friday, when it might be hard to roll. But I'm resolved to not touch these until I see how the Fed minutes and TSLA earnings play out. We've seen some nutty reversals, both ways, with this stock. If I closed the positions now, I would just be trashing my account in full.

Jan 2023, 700 strike are now $326 and 0.76 delta. So you'd leverage of around 2.5:1 with these. IV is still sort of high, there's >$100 of time value on these.. I'm sort of undecided.
I decided to wait until earnings, and then evaluate again. Should get better price for shares, and with IV crush option prices should drop.
OTOH market seems really irrational right now..

I believe is derived by the cost of the ATM call and put by adding them together. So if you look at the ATM 1/28th $940 call and put they are expecting a total move of about + or - $96.18

My understanding is “options traders are pricing in a 10.4% move” is not directional. It is derived from options prices and IV. Options traders expect TSLA to break >10% up or down.

*what he said ☝️

yesterday's prediction of ~845 vs. today's 852 bottom was eerily/spooky/ominously accurate