Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issues some people are experiencing with rolling ITM spreads have convinced me even more that I’m going to stick with naked puts and calls.

I have some ITM puts (-p1030) and can roll them out by one week with nice premiums and already did so today for half of them (at $13.00 and $14.00). I’m feeling bad for those with spreads who have to go out months or even half a year to be able to roll without debit. That’s such a long time to lock up margin and lose the possibility to earn money.

Ofcourse premiums for rolling naked puts and calls will not always be that good, especially when IV is lower and/or the position goes deeper ITM. But in my experience even then it’s still possible to roll by one week for a credit at 150 points ITM. Only at 200-250 points ITM does it become necessary to roll by two weeks.

I was hoping to open some new, conservative BPS today to take advantage of an IV crush and the possibility of the FED and/or an earnings beat keeping the SP at or above current price. I'm thinking that -800/+600 is a conservative position even with a sell the news event. Any not advice? Is anyone opening any 2/4 BPS before Powell speaks this afternoon? If anyone is planning to open BPS after Powell speaks but before the ER, what is your game plan? TIA
Sold 2/4 -800/+600 @ $8.00 a few minutes ago with the SP close to $965. May open more once the market digests Powell's speech.

Write-up about this experience coming.
are you referring to that "Margin Requirements & Concentration Guidelines":

I wonder if those are IIROC (Canadian self-regulator) Rules and therefore will affect all Canadian brokers, I've tried to read IIROC docs but I could not understand concentration rules. I noticed 'margin non-linearity' in both Questrade and IBKR ... smaller accounts are fine but those with more Tesla get unpredictable margin requirements.

Last edited:
are you referring to that "Margin Requirements & Concentration Guidelines":

I wonder if those are IIROC (Canadian self-regulator) Rules and therefore will affect all Canadian brokers, I've tried to read IIROC docs but I could not understand concentration rules. I noticed 'margin non-linearity' in both Questrade and IBKR ... smaller accounts are fine but those with more Tesla get unpredictable margin requirements.
Yes.

• Informative
Reactions: LightngMcQueen
With all of the rolls from week to week for credits, strike modifications, spread mods etc., it can become very difficult to keep track of exactly how profitable or not your positions are. Does anyone have a good method for tracking this? I don't trust the P/L calculations that Thinkorswim is giving me based on my rolls. Some of my DITM short put legs are showing break even in the P/L column, and I am tempted to buy them back, but they are quite pricey and I want to make sure I am actually breaking even...

Those calculations are never correct.

I take the previous credit received, subtract .01 or .02 depending on how many contracts there are to remove the fees. And add that value to my new position plus or minus the new transaction price. So if I did a debit roll for $1, I subtract that from the previous price and this is my new trade entry price.

Example
Trade 1. Open credit 2.08, closed for 2.06 debit

Trade 2, rolled for .4 credit, new cost basis is 2.46

This closes my trade 1 for a minuscule profit after subtracting the fees. I have my spreadsheet formulas set to watch for this and mark it’s status as “Rolled” that way I can calculate my repair rate. Which this year is a staggering 65.9%. My target repair rate is < 10%