Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm frustrated with myself, because I should have rolled everything during the pop yesterday. I literally left millions on the table by waiting until today.

Not advice and not trying to add salt to the wound but I hope this is useful to some folks. IMO the market dynamics and the quick moves in the market require more active trading. I have been glued to the monitor this week. It is a tough environment where you cannot just place your trades and forget about them. The other problem I think, which I'm getting better at, is that we are always so bullish about Tesla. So we think our positions will eventually recover. Long term it makes sense but markets are dumb in the short term.

When this week started I was looking at max loss on a number of positions(around 350K). If I had left those positions as is I would have ended with a 320K loss and counting...not life changing or anything but would have meant I needed to climb out of a big hole.

Actively trading the ups and downs of the stock this week allowed me to limit that loss for 85K. Other than the BPS position that I just opened most of my open positions are naked puts that are ITM and honestly OK with getting assigned. It was a full time job to be able to get out of the mess. Sold calls, sold BCS, legged etc you name it and I did it.

We closed our first max loss position (two -1050/+960 1/28 contracts) a few minutes ago, wiping out double all of our 2021 gains (3 months worth), and we're still sitting on losing positions with the account showing we're down 40% versus what we started with. Two trades were rolled out to 2/4 and the 1/28 -950/+850 is still sitting - likely trying to roll later today or first thing tomorrow (perhaps at a debit). Really need to start fresh as managing these losers is becoming a downer.

Edit: BorntoFly - totally agree with your comment about trading and moving on at yesterday's pop. If we'd have closed everything, we'd be down 1-2% and writing safe BPS with today's drop.

We are obviously in an SP downturn from AH of early Nov21 and early Jan22 (~30%), and IV is down after last night's ER. I'm thinking this is a opportunity to do something clever with my LEAPs under the "rule" that delta increases with lower prices, and I have confidence in an uptrend from now to Jan 2024.

I'm allocated to approximately 50/50 Shares and Jan24 LEAPs 1000/1200/1400 (ATM on average at time of purchase) -- latter having declined ~50% from early Nov21. Does it make sense for long-term returns under the uptrend assumption to roll these LEAPs closer and down in strike?

I can roll for small credits to Jun 23 800/950/1100. My general plan is to consistently roll LEAPs to maintain an allocation approximately equal to shares allocation, so this idea would be a swing trade of some kind, right? Thanks for any suggestions to consider by more seasoned LEAP investors who probably look at this question as pretty basic.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I managed to roll the rest of my -p1030s by one week to 2/4 and got $10.50 for them. Yesterday I got $13.50 for the other half, so my bet that we would go up after earnings, if only for a few hours, didn't pay off.

But I'm still not unhappy with the premium, given that the position was 120 points ITM at the moment of rolling. And there was a danger of assignment, as the extrinsic value dropped from $15 yesterday to $1 today, so I had to act fast. I probably won't be taking that risk again, so close to expiration.

Did you roll these down or just out?

I am trying to figure out what to do with my 940's and 950's (these were already rolled down and out to 2/4 and 2/11 respectively). I fear this dip could last quite a while.

I'm allocated to approximately 50/50 Shares and Jan24 LEAPs 1000/1200/1400 (ATM on average at time of purchase) -- latter having declined ~50% from early Nov21. Does it make sense for long-term returns under the uptrend assumption to roll these LEAPs closer and down in strike?
You generally get more Delta at the cost of Theta when doing that (if IV for the expiries is similar).
If the expected uptrend times Delta > the higher intrinsic value, then this is a good trade if you assesment is correct.

If the SP won't behave, it can be bad, obviously.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
We are obviously in an SP downturn from AH of early Nov21 and early Jan22 (~30%), and IV is down after last night's ER. I'm thinking this is a opportunity to do something clever with my LEAPs under the "rule" that delta increases with lower prices, and I have confidence in an uptrend from now to Jan 2024.

I can roll for small credits to Jun 23 800/950/1100. My general plan is to consistently roll LEAPs to maintain an allocation approximately equal to shares allocation, so this idea would be a swing trade of some kind, right? Thanks for any suggestions to consider by more seasoned LEAP investors who probably look at this question as pretty basic.

I think LEAP Bull Call Spreads might be a good option. I have been converting a lot of my IRA options to spreads. Here's a great blog post by Frank.