Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how it effects margin / if you get a margin call if for example you have 100 puts at a strike of $1000 then premarket all of a sudden you have 2000 puts for a strike of $50 and the price firmly below the $1000 strike.

IBKR doesn't do margin calls. It just liquidates positions so I'm worried the way it calculates options and margin freaks the backend systems out and liquifies long term short contracts when they multiply by X (split number) but the strike prices don't update.

If it's IBKR's fault, I'm sure you'll have a case to sue them. With that threat on their shoulder, I highly doubt any broker would mess up the updating of the strike price. They might fail to deliver the shares to you on time (I didn't see my split shares until a few days later), but they won't margin call you due to a mistake on their end.

Reactions: MikeC
Does anyone know how it effects margin / if you get a margin call if for example you have 100 puts at a strike of $1000 then premarket all of a sudden you have 2000 puts for a strike of $50 and the price firmly below the $1000 strike.

IBKR doesn't do margin calls. It just liquidates positions so I'm worried the way it calculates options and margin freaks the backend systems out and liquifies long term short contracts when they multiply by X (split number) but the strike prices don't update.

If it's IBKR's fault, I'm sure you'll have a case to sue them. With that threat on their shoulder, I highly doubt any broker would mess up the updating of the strike price. They might fail to deliver the shares to you on time (I didn't see my split shares until a few days later), but they won't margin call you due to a mistake on their end.

I don't believe you would get a margin call. Fidelity account last time simply changed all positions to "pending update" for a few days.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
I don't believe you would get a margin call. Fidelity account last time simply changed all positions to "pending update" for a few days.
Thanks guys. That at least gives us peace of mind. It's a pretty big broker so I have to trust they have a system in place. Lol I can also see how not getting your shares until after a few days can be concerning. There would be posts on message boards asking how come their share portfolio just dropped by a huge amount lol.

Thanks guys. That at least gives us peace of mind. It's a pretty big broker so I have to trust they have a system in place. Lol I can also see how not getting your shares until after a few days can be concerning. There would be posts on message boards asking how come their share portfolio just dropped by a huge amount lol.
Last split shares showed up, but the new value didn't correct itself until after some time.. for a couple of days I was rich 😂

• Funny
Reactions: juanmedina
Haven't posted here in a while - decided to reply because of experience in this and because some of the responses annoyed me.

Contracts split exactly same way as shares. Last time TSLA split 1:5 - every 1 share became 5 shares @ 1/5 the SP.
For options, each contract became 5 contracts at 1/5 the strike price. For e.g. if you own 1 contract with strike price 1000 - this becomes 5 contracts with strike price 200

Last time many folks posted about odd strike prices becoming less liquid. For TSLA, this was of no consequence. The options volume is so high, none of the strikes are illiquid.

For e.g. - check the Options for June 2022 - there are strike prices starting from 1 onwards. I own may of these odd strike calls which were LEAPS purchased >2years back.

The only thing you should know is that it may take several days for accurate strike prices to show up in your account after the split. Fidelity took over a week for the correct number of options and their strike prices to show up
Hi @EV forever I was wondering what trades you’ve been doing lately and how it’s going.

Reactions: UltradoomY
due to low volume, i decided to open quick Iron Condor 4/22 873-1125, maybe close it on Wed (or not)
1650371149270.png

i think mid-BB and 100SMA will protect me, as it did the last 5 days

1650371631350.png

1650372655101.png

Last edited:
Yeah, Sorry I don't speak stupid as fluently as you do.
This should be moved to the other thread. I am more used to see these comments in the other thread. I don’t know which Emoji to use for this post.

on another side note, I called many times Nation Bank brockerage to get my margin rate down from 3.75% to anything more descent and they offered me 3.00% if I transferred over 3M in assets from my IBKR account. I told them but IBKR is offering 1.05% on US funds over a certain amount. Their response: “But we can assign you a private director to your account which you can join anytime via email or direct line, IBKR doesn’t have a good customer service like we do“. Now, who would be ready here to pay an extra 20k-30k in interest fees annually for a private account director?

Last edited:
I'm curious if some of you are playing earnings this week, and if so: how.

I currently have no expirations before May 20th, and many of those are sold puts so I'm hedged more bullishly than bearishly.

If we'd see a buy the rumor SP spike today or (more likely) tomorrow, I think I'll sell some covered calls (I think 4/22's, only 4/29 if premiums are way too low) to try and (ab)use the IV crush this Thursday/Friday.

Would love to pick strikes above $1150 at least, but more preferably above $1200. (20% out from current SP)

GLTA

Would love to pick strikes above $1150 at least, but more preferably above $1200. (20% out from current SP)
I'm currently trying to sell CC's @ 1150 but waiting for a decent rise. They peaked at around $3.20 yesterday but are currently only around $2.50. I have an order in at $3.00 but will move up/down as needed depending on the days action. Happy to also wait till earnings are out if it comes to that.

Edit: Sold the CC's at $3.00 when the stock first hit $1030. I also sold 1150/1200 BCS for $1.65 (should have been $1.85).

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to sell CC's @ 1150 but waiting for a decent rise. They peaked at around $3.20 yesterday but are currently only around $2.50. I have an order in at $3.00 but will move up/down as needed depending on the days action. Happy to also wait till earnings are out if it comes to that.
@2.70 now. (i.e.: watching with you)

Nobody seems particularly concerned about getting steamrolled here. Remember.....MM's don't care about TSLA going up or down, they care about money out of the options market.

In January the wider options market get crushed when it was assumed TSLA might never drop below 900/1000 again. Now everyone's sitting here thinking 900 is more likely than 1200.

Watch out!

I'm not selling anything short term in these next two weeks until I see some clear directional movement early next week. Even then I'm looking out for a period of extreme volatility.

Nothing wrong with only making .25% in the next 5 trading days if it saves you from losing shares.

Earnings week:
Fortunately I opened my BPS positions (900s and 850s) last Friday when we had a down day. The rumors of Giga Shanghai returning online started so I wanted to hold some positions knowing there’s a good chance of up days next week before the earning. Now my positions are all 80% plus profit. I’m looking to close out these positions before Wednesday as the risk reward isn’t worth it.

Next 2 potential moves:
I believe with Giga Shanghai News and the positive earnings I may want to open new BPS positions 15% OTM for next week already. Since I truly like to sell on strength hoping we have a down day tomorrow.

OR

If Macros were terrible than I already made my play for the earnings week last Friday and would just sit out. Fortunately I don’t think this is the case hopefully and I’m not likely leaning towards this. Am I missing something thinking macro isn’t all that bad?