Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monday is Russia's victory day, which is the annual big event, celebrating victory over Germany in WWII.

There's a change that Putin will declare official war on Ukraine and some degree if mobilization.
Doesn't sound like a smart move, but I would not rule it out.

If that happens, I would expect more pain in the market. So not advice, but be careful.

Monday is Russia's victory day, which is the annual big event, celebrating victory over Germany in WWII.

There's a change that Putin will declare official war on Ukraine and some degree if mobilization.
Doesn't sound like a smart move, but I would not rule it out.

If that happens, I would expect more pain in the market. So not advice, but be careful.
It is also possible that he simply declares a fake "victory" over the southeast region, claiming that he "liberated" the Russians there and established the land bridge to Crimea. Recently their offensive actions have dropped significantly and seem to be digging into defensive positions.
All I'm saying that there is a chance for positive news too ;)
1651926340374.png

Will most likely be assigned on my -p880s that expired today, non-tax account.
Yep, assigned, and it was a bit distressing that even though it was assigned around 7pm eastern time, the shares did not appear in my Fidelity account until this morning and I can't actually see history on this until trading opens Monday. It is stupid that these things don't happen simultaneously.

Yep, assigned, and it was a bit distressing that even though it was assigned around 7pm eastern time, the shares did not appear in my Fidelity account until this morning and I can't actually see history on this until trading opens Monday. It is stupid that these things don't happen simultaneously.
At Schwab, the assignment is announced on Sunday and the transaction appears on Monday. Interestingly seems later in my non-tax account.

The 20% rule has held up much better than support levels over the last two years. Read through the last 4 months on this thread.
Unfortunately, because the risk is low, so is the premium, around $2/wk (<0.25%) for a CC right now. If I was selling BPS, BCS or ICs, definitely best to stay 20% OTM. Also, if I had 10,000+ shares that premium would be plenty for me, but alas I didn’t buy 2000 shares at the IPO, so I’m selling CCs closer to 10% OTM and CSPs near ATM. As @Yoona said, CCs have worked great for the past few weeks, but I had to push my weekly CSPs out to 5/20.
Separating the long term buy-n-hold related factors, from the short term (<2 week in my world), has been one of the developments in my own approach. It's just too easy for me to see the amazing long term view of things, and get caught up in why that long term view isn't manifesting today in the share price.
This is also something I’ve learned this year with all the massive SP shocks (Hertz bump, Elon selling, Twitter, macro dumps). I’m in too much of a hurry to accumulate more shares before the next SP jump that I sell CCs too early and/or too close to ATM. Options selling is like real estate and comedy: location and timing timing timing.

So, weekly recap, charts and thoughts for next week: Challenging trading for me, too many badly-timed trades with the FOMC drop, spike, drop action. Once again lost money on BUYING calls at the wrong time, so I should just stop that craziness. Still, managed to net 5 figures which helped pay for 20 shares. A very profitable week, but now, once again, my cash is depleted and I really need a SP rise to $980+ to help my 5/20 puts. Unfortunately, I don’t think we will get that turnaround just yet, probably another 4-5 wk.

First, SPY chart shows a nice 400-405 gap from almost exactly 1y ago. We tested 405 twice, and it’s only another 2-3% down, so an easy breach. I would bet on that.

03093A51-9633-4F1A-8AF9-2E110EA8D991.jpeg

Second, the QQQ shows a nice round 300 resistant that also goes back 1+ year. We already breached the 318 line from this March and last May. Again, similar easypeasy 3% drop needed to breach 300.

F4D40785-C34C-4611-8E7A-A64066B24619.jpeg

Finally, TSLA chart isn’t quite as definitive but it looks like we have more to drop before a reversal. We filled the gap down to $844, but it wasn’t much of a touch, or gap either for that matter. Our last bounce up was only to 950+/- which definitely looks pathetic with respect to the previous month. Direction is very unclear as bears and bulls fight for control. I expect at least another week at $850-$900, then likely testing $800-$850. Be careful out there, much of the market looks “ready” for a reversal, but TSLA looks more likely still on a downward trend. With outstanding $970-$1000 CSPs for 5/20, I am definitely positioned for a rebound, so that means it won’t happen.🥵
88CE7591-17BE-4A6E-9BDF-013D0967156A.jpeg

Attachments

• 87B01515-B972-4D4E-9516-45D7A9ACBEE8.jpeg
    87B01515-B972-4D4E-9516-45D7A9ACBEE8.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 32
Not an advice, but a lot seems to hinge on AAPL as it makes up a huge weight by itself on the SPY and QQQ. So far it's holding above key-resistance, but if it breaks-down below that, the rest will drop and capitulation might come very fast, whether the other mega-caps also fall is hard to tell, based on earnings, some TSLA & MSFT, are pretty safe investments, makes no sense to sell them, AMZN, NVDA and APPL look weak short term, FB seems dead to me, but when the big ones drop, the index drops, they all drop

If I know anything, it's that I know nothing. All this is just my opinion from what I see, read, feelings, sentiment, some TA here and there... at best it's all random, at worst (and my most favoured hypothesis) it's the biggest hustle in financial history as the SEC-enabled Hedge-funds steal continually from retail and pension funds with their constant manipulations

I'm happy writing a modest number of cash-covered, naked puts at these levels below support levels. Although I would roll if necessary, I'm also OK to get assigned $TSLA, $GOOGL and $AAPL at these kinds of prices. Same for calls - being fairly aggressive, as I don't see any sustained recovery for quite a while, I'll either roll, or shock and horror, sell the underlying LEAPS if things suddenly reversed - yes, selling LEAPS is possible and covers the losses without depleting your capital - opportunities to rebuy those LEAPS at a better price will almost certainly come along, despite what some may think...

Don't lose your shirt, don't bet the farm

Bitcoin has dropped further over the weekend. NOT ADVICE, but bitcoin and the NASDAQ/QQQ have been running pretty much in lockstep the past 6+ months.

Could bode for an ugly Monday.

Also, someone in the main thread said RIVN's lockup period expired this weekend. If there is a sell-off, there may be spill-over to other EV manufs. And we know how the shorts like any excuse to pull TSLA down.

a lot seems to hinge on AAPL as it makes up a huge weight by itself on the SPY and QQQ
I find myself increasingly unhappy with the S&P 500 / SPY due to the market cap weighting. Weighting on market cap actually does make conceptual sense to me, but the consequence is that we increasingly have the S&P 10 or 20, and 480 hangers on. And those 10 or 20 are grossly overweight high tech.

What I'd like to find is an index that tracks the economy, rather than high tech.

I find myself increasingly unhappy with the S&P 500 / SPY due to the market cap weighting. Weighting on market cap actually does make conceptual sense to me, but the consequence is that we increasingly have the S&P 10 or 20, and 480 hangers on. And those 10 or 20 are grossly overweight high tech.

What I'd like to find is an index that tracks the economy, rather than high tech.

in the last 60 weeks, the 20% rule is also valid/safe

for ex: if Friday Open is 1000, next week's Friday Close is probably 800-1200

View attachment 801920
This is why I'm leaning toward selling BPS 22%+ OTM at the Thurs MMD for the following week's expiration for 1.1-1.5%.

While SP is this depressed is just as safe or safer than 20% intraweek and nets more premium.

This is why I'm leaning toward selling BPS 22%+ OTM at the Thurs MMD for the following week's expiration for 1.1-1.5%.

While SP is this depressed is just as safe or safer than 20% intraweek and nets more premium.
as if the sp is not stressful enough, i just got notice from Canada Revenue Agency (aka IRS) that i am being audited... need to submit ~90 documents going back to the past :mad:

word to the wise: make sure you have paper and electronic backup documentation of all trades, especially fees you are claiming as investment expenses

Is it dumb to try to sell RIVN BPS? I was thinking starting at $20 strike and below. For transparency I lost $10k on Rivian BPS before 😅 .
depends. I still think the 21b valuation is too high. And if people are dumping now on the market to front-run a dump from Ford that will accellerate the downtrend .. well... .. and don't forget other "market mechanisms" with such extreme swings: gamma squeeze, MM that will short-sell to amplify the drop & cover cheaper ..
That volatility is so high for a reason .. :)

Reactions: BornToFly
depends. I still think the 21b valuation is too high. And if people are dumping now on the market to front-run a dump from Ford that will accellerate the downtrend .. well... .. and don't forget other "market mechanisms" with such extreme swings: gamma squeeze, MM that will short-sell to amplify the drop & cover cheaper ..
That volatility is so high for a reason .. :)

Not touching RIVN with a 10 foot pole. Regardless of share price, their costs last quarter were ridiculous high. Unless there was accounting funny business, that to me shows they don't have the fiscal responsibility I want out of a startup trying to walk in Tesla's shoes.

Not advice.