Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no positions open right now and I am thinking about selling December $1140 covered calls for $60. Those calls have 19 weeks to expiration and they would give me $325 bucks per week which is decent IMO with a breakeven of $1200. @adiggs any thoughts? Lots of great catalyst in the near term but the macro 🤷‍♂️.
Or you could sell a December 770 put for the same amount . Maybe both?

Not an advice.

This strategy is a zero delta and zero theta play. The DITM short put is fully hedged by the synthetic short. Neither of them has any theta.
This is purely an IV play. I'll exit when the event which has caused recent massive call buying has come to passed. IV always crushes then. In this case, call IV will crush while put IV is not impacted so the synthetic short would gain value WITHOUT any movement in the underlying.
I'm sold, and gonna give this a go.
So did it
Sell -p2400 8/19
Buy +p920 jun 2024
Sell -c920 jun 2024

net credit $1533
Plan is to exit after iv crush.

margin effect: it lowered my maintenance margin by about 2k. I'm on IBs risk-based margin.

Last edited:
I'm sold, and gonna give this a go.
So did it
Sell -p2400 8/19
Buy +p920 jun 2024
Sell -c920 jun 2024

net credit $1533

margin effect: it lowered my maintenance margin by about 2k. I'm on IBs risk-based margin.
I lined up the same order on IBKR and it showed the same credit. But it listed a margin hit of 152K.

Guess I need to change my margin? But risk based.... they might not take kindly to my all in TSLA portfolio in this account.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I lined up the same order on IBKR and it showed the same credit. But it listed a margin hit of 152K.

Guess I need to change my margin? But risk based.... they might not take kindly to my all in TSLA portfolio in this account.
I hold only TSLA stock, options and cash.
But I'm in europe, risk-based margin is the only option IBKR offers here.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
FYI, I’m trying out the LEAPS rolling method outlined by @Papafox and it’s working out pretty well. A while back I bought some Sept c500s when I let some CCs get assigned. After the recent run up, rolled those up to c600s, 2 for 3, and they are now about 0.93 delta. For a net zero roll out one month requires a SP difference of about $10, while rolling out two months requires about $20, both of which are easily in the daily range of SP fluctuations. So, bought one Nov +c600 during Monday’s dip with available cash, then immediately set a sell order for the same price (well, a 1$ more since I’m greedy) for the Sept +c600. Works perfectly, executed the next day. I’ve also rolled out one month on a roughly $10 SP move. I will keep doing this daily on one LEAP at a time, in order to take advantage of the daily SP fluctuations. Something very interesting I observed today: my sell order did NOT hit, but “somebody” else’s DID at the exact same price. In addition, the SP had peaked $3-$4 higher while my order was active, and was still showing similar bid-ask spread. Since this was 0.93 delta, the premium should have jumped at least $2-$3, yet mine didn’t sell. Only six options had traded today, so this is clear manipulation in my opinion. A few minutes later the SP dumped $5 in a few seconds, so the MMs knew what was coming and refused to buy my sell. So anyway, the game’s rigged so be careful.

FYI, I’m trying out the LEAPS rolling method outlined by @Papafox and it’s working out pretty well. A while back I bought some Sept c500s when I let some CCs get assigned. After the recent run up, rolled those up to c600s, 2 for 3, and they are now about 0.93 delta. For a net zero roll out one month requires a SP difference of about $10, while rolling out two months requires about $20, both of which are easily in the daily range of SP fluctuations. So, bought one Nov +c600 during Monday’s dip with available cash, then immediately set a sell order for the same price (well, a 1$ more since I’m greedy) for the Sept +c600. Works perfectly, executed the next day. I’ve also rolled out one month on a roughly $10 SP move. I will keep doing this daily on one LEAP at a time, in order to take advantage of the daily SP fluctuations. Something very interesting I observed today: my sell order did NOT hit, but “somebody” else’s DID at the exact same price. In addition, the SP had peaked $3-$4 higher while my order was active, and was still showing similar bid-ask spread. Since this was 0.93 delta, the premium should have jumped at least $2-$3, yet mine didn’t sell. Only six options had traded today, so this is clear manipulation in my opinion. A few minutes later the SP dumped $5 in a few seconds, so the MMs knew what was coming and refused to buy my sell. So anyway, the game’s rigged so be careful.
Good strategy and well played but options are generally only called LEAPS if their expiration date is at least 12 months out.

Rolling Jan2024's three months out with this technique is way harder and requires timing the market correctly. (Believe me, I've tried. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't)

For short/mid term expirations it is of course more likely to work.

What is a dark pool print? An alias for naked shorting?
TSLA Dark Pool data found in:

edit: 9/2 c1100 OI increased by 1,678% as of 7am today. Does anyone have a clue what/why that is?
1659554519273.png

Last edited:

There are different Margin accounts. There is RegT-Margin (aka "rule based margin", which most consumers in the US get assigned to) and Portfolio-Margin (individual margin depending on your portfolio).
I was first on RegT-Margin and it behaves very similar to cash-only. Then i was on Portfolio-Margin in the UK (before Brexit), because IBKR was located there for european consumers. Then i got moved to Portfolio-Margin in Ireland - and instantly got threatened with a 2 million dollar margin-call if i don't "fix it" before the change. They even phoned me about it ;) .. I mean .. i was London-compliant, but not Ireland-compliant 🤷‍♀️
Something changed in the calculation of Spreads or risk-levels were different (2-sigma black-swan vs. 3-sigma black-swan) or whatever .. i suppose due to legal stuff in the EU/Ireland that were not applicable in London.

And i always skate barely around being margin-called (even if.. i can buy *sugar*-puts like 400p against black-swan-events for 100 bucks every week and "free up" half of my used margin) and i think they were onto me.. because the requirements got harder and harder..
TSLA stock has margin-usage of 60% or so for me (meaning 100k in TSLA only leaves me ~40k margin to "double use" in Bull-Put-Spreads or so)..

Normally i hover ~90% margin-use (if stock alone takes up 60% of your net-worth going to 90% is easy -.-)..
Under RegT-Margin Stock would take up 0 margin iirc. .. but you won't get 100% of your net-worth marginable.

AND i often end up with things in my theoretical calculations like:
- Take 100k max-loss-risk: not margin compliant
- Increase max-loss to 150k: fine with margin
- Decrease max-loss to 25k: fine with margin

Especially if i plan things like "using the handbrake": In example the whole portfolio has a TSLA-delta of 500. I want to go 300 short to take profit on the downturn (and because it is stock i can trade premarket/after-hours). Impossible due to margin. 500 would be ok, though (but too much risk if i'm "wrong" for such a trade), 60 would be ok, too.

Same with "complicated" options.

I still don't get, why they won't just take the P/L-Diagram before/after, put an integral over [-3 sigma, +3 sigma] and take the result as margin requirement.. instead of identifying combinations, pairing them up internally & have the formula break in spectecular ways ...

Maybe the other order was on another exchange that your order.
If you use IBKR you usually take "SMART" as the exchange - meaning IBKR lists it on the cheapest exchange, but pulls your order & reroutes it if (after commission) it would sell on any other exchange.. and TSLA is traded on like 20 of exchanges..

If i trade with my german banking-app I have to select the exchange everytime beforehand & they do not reroute.. like "direct-trade" (i.e. dark-pool) inside the banking institution without fees, frankfurt for ~10 bucks + %age, stuttgart for ~10 bucks + %age, munich for even more...

Maybe look after the exchange the trades happened on and if you can trade on them or your broker reroutes to them.

TSLA Dark Pool data found in:
my question was more what a "print" is .. i understand the answer from saniflash as "print means report in the public ledger at the exchanges".
my initial understanding was "whoa .. they appeared from naked-shorting inside dark pools and got reported publicly after the fact"

But thanks for the links.

my question was more what a "print" is .. i understand the answer from saniflash as "print means report in the public ledger at the exchanges".
my initial understanding was "whoa .. they appeared from naked-shorting inside dark pools and got reported publicly after the fact"

But thanks for the links.
i think our best resource on TSLA Dark Pool is @Artful Dodger

I rolled my Sold 950CCs 8/5 to 1040 19/5 for a 1$credit. This makes me less nervous for this Friday as I will be working all night on call and then 2 full days of OR and I will unavailable to roll if they get ITM. I got a small credit for peace of mind. Also, at 1050 my underwater puts emerge and this would put me in a relatively happy state of mind if my 1040 CCs get ITM. I hope I will have to roll them further out.

Last edited:
Ugh - busy week trading options here, and not just on TSLA. I've been trading some BCS on PLTR and BLDR which both were up about 8-10% on a day and appeared to be overbought. These were closed at 50% plus gains in a day.

I bought a PERI call on Monday for an earnings play (I think this small cap ad-tech is undervalued by quite a bit) and closed it out at 250% gain this morning.

Regarding TSLA, I'm sweating my 950/1000 BCS expiring on Friday. I pulled the trigger on this one too early and its down just over 200%. I still think we are due for a breather here, but I'm not willing to put (additional) money on that.

I also have some covered calls @ $890 that expire Friday in the retirement accounts. I'm debating rolling them to early September $950s for a $10 credit. Does anyone have any advice on whether it makes a difference if the roll is done before or after the annual shareholder meeting tomorrow?

Reactions: Max Plaid
Ugh - busy week trading options here, and not just on TSLA. I've been trading some BCS on PLTR and BLDR which both were up about 8-10% on a day and appeared to be overbought. These were closed at 50% plus gains in a day.

I bought a PERI call on Monday for an earnings play (I think this small cap ad-tech is undervalued by quite a bit) and closed it out at 250% gain this morning.

Regarding TSLA, I'm sweating my 950/1000 BCS expiring on Friday. I pulled the trigger on this one too early and its down just over 200%. I still think we are due for a breather here, but I'm not willing to put (additional) money on that.

I also have some covered calls @ $890 that expire Friday in the retirement accounts. I'm debating rolling them to early September $950s for a $10 credit. Does anyone have any advice on whether it makes a difference if the roll is done before or after the annual shareholder meeting tomorrow?
I strongly recommend rolling it all the way out to November 1250-1300C. You should wait it out without stressing yourself out as the final stage of the squeeze takes place. When the call buying has reversed, everything will be easier to deal with.

Why are you telling us only afterwards? Maybe some of us want to play big gains, too ^^