Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, I am a bit sad I rolled my 310 CCs 23/9 to 330 CCs 14/10 for $2 credit when the SP breached resistance and got to 311 Tuesday. I was expecting the stock to run up going into earnings. I followed my rule to insta-roll to next resistance as soon as it breaches my strike price to remove any emotional trading. I should have done nothing and sat on my hands.

My short calls are already +68% but they could have been +98%!

Noticeable move down on the day; therefore my trading rules (close calls, open puts on down day) leads to:
- closed the 305cc expiring tomorrow for 90%+ profit. That leaves me with a small number of Oct monthly 320s.
- open 275 csp for next Friday @ $4

Those playing it closer to the share price - that makes good sense to me. It has me thinking of splitting up some of these resources - use 2/3rds at these more distant strikes that I typically rely on and then the other 1/3rd at much closer strikes and daring some turns of the wheel. That's not a decision, just a thought.

In the context of these 275s that might have meant doing 2/3rds as many as I did, and then the other 1/3rd as 290s (or if I were feeling really over the top, 300s).

I expect more up than down these next 2 weeks into p&d. The move down today has me semi-hoping for another down tomorrow with an eye towards buying calls for p&d. That most likely won't happen though.

The up over down is a function of the Tesla story, and likely Tesla financials, overwhelming the larger macro story. I don't expect, but won't be surprised, if we see the market down and TSLA up over these 2 weeks.

Today may have been the largest money shift to puts since May; 290 is the new 300, maybe we are oversold ... haha, ugh. Who would try to leave a 285 short leg BPS on to expire tomorrow? Giving it until noon. GLTA!

TSLA-TotalGamma-22Sep2022.png

Looks like an red Friday is brewing. Good luck everyone.

I sold some 9/30 -270/250 BPS yesterday and if we keep dropping I'll STC the long legs for extra income and convert to CSPs. When I've done this before the sold long put exceeds the amount of the original BPS. I'm OK doing this to extract more $ from a "too early" trade.

Yes - looking profoundly bearish right now.

My gut told me the run over $300 would reverse and I closed most of the bps I had been managing and rolling for the past year on Wednesday (10/21 300/233). That turns out to have been a great and timely call. I am considering closing all the rest of my bps today and taking the loss as I’m afraid we’re going down another 10% from here.

Q3 earnings will be good but may not be enough to underpin the stock if enough funds press the “sell tech” button during a protracted downturn. Sigh

Sold -c350, 30 contracts for October monthly. With the way macro is trending, there is no reason to think that the stock is going to go up 20% over the next month.

Just exited these for 74% gain at about $1,243 per day. Macro still tells me we are trending down, but maybe try to play the other side ahead of AI day?

some long term Oct 21 340 CC sold 3-4 mths at ~ $5 back now have become short term and look like gonna expire/or easily managed
, so sold another tranche of Jan 23 400 CC's for ~ $5 and got me some Jan 25 350 Leaps
Quick question, what's your rationale on selling CCs when the stock is down 3-4%? I usually only like selling calls on green days as the premium is always better.

Or do you not worry as much because they are dated so far out?

I sold some 9/30 -270/250 BPS yesterday and if we keep dropping I'll STC the long legs for extra income and convert to CSPs. When I've done this before the sold long put exceeds the amount of the original BPS. I'm OK doing this to extract more $ from a "too early" trade.
Sold the +250p's for $1.75, so now $3.25 total credit for the CSP converted from BPS. Sure, I could have sold the CSP directly today for about $5.50, but yesterday when sold the BPS, the -P was at $1.69. So I'm in a better place now, starting with the BPS, than if had I sold the CSP yesterday (but not as good as selling the CSP today).