Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I was also thinking of waiting until Thu/Fri for my “core CC”, but might do half today if price holds just in case of an IV and SP drop towards Max-Pain ($138) after ER.

To sorta half-way play the possibility of an SP drop or rise tomorrow, today sold 1/3 of my usual weekly contracts: 3Feb$160 @ $3.23. May use these proceeds on Fri/Mon to roll 3Feb$125 buy-write out to a better strike improvement than a simple roll could accomplish.

Wrote Jan27 160c for 1.83 @ SP ~145.5 Should have been 1.88, but rushed and went long before realizing my mistake and lost a few cents to correct. :(

Going to play this two ways: if SP pulls back, I'll close it before end of day. If SP goes up, I'll see what happens after earnings. Bought my trading shares at $121, so I'll live with the gains if they get assigned. Mantra for this year is, don't be too greedy. It's been harder to do than it sounds...

Edit: Also considered strike 150, but decided not to in the unlikely case that earnings blows everyone away.

Last edited:
MP moved up to 138 today... looking at the open interest, it's hard to imagine the Hedgies letting it go above 150 this week, even above 140 they start to lose bigly, going to be interesting whatever happens

1674676142718.png

I wonder if those are uncle Leo's p160's

1674676227878.png

Bought my trading shares at $121, so I'll live with the gains if they get assigned.

Isn't risk of assignment tomorrow night? Meaning, tonight's announcement is at 530 , isn't that after when that possibly ends? Otherwise, i better get rolling or closing.

EDIT: May as well save a post and write this here. Slightly more puts than calls as of 3PM ... options volume (where contracts > 500)

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 3.08.25 PM.png

Last edited:
MP moved up to 138 today... looking at the open interest, it's hard to imagine the Hedgies letting it go above 150 this week, even above 140 they start to lose bigly, going to be interesting whatever happens

View attachment 899747

I wonder if those are uncle Leo's p160's

View attachment 899753
Remember, Hedgies / MMs don't always rule the roost. Only almost always. We have seen them get their clocks cleaned with TSLA.

I STO 58x -C @ 170 for 1/27 (Friday). Option chain says 92% chance OTM. Got 0.73 ($4,234).

We have resistance at 149.96, 156.33, 160.03.

Is 170 crazy (+$24 move) between now and Friday (2 days)?
In my mind yes.
We are already up huge since the lows.
Another 20% seems unlikely in two days.

BUT last months we unusual as well, so who will tell…?

Anyone know if OptionCalc factors in IV and IV crush automatically?

Here’s a link to the 1/27/23 -C170:

It shows green tomorrow, even if the price stays the same (145). That seems a bit odd, though perhaps that factors in IV crush?

E4028BAC-B91F-47EE-AC57-88BD768D1750.jpeg

Reactions: ShareLofty
Isn't risk of assignment tomorrow night? Meaning, tonight's announcement is at 530 , isn't that after when that possibly ends? Otherwise, i better get rolling or closing.

EDIT: May as well save a post and write this here. Slightly more puts than calls as of 3PM ... options volume (where contracts > 500)

View attachment 899760

Not following the logic, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

Theoretically, assignment can occur anytime the option holder (the buyer of the options) wants, but in practice it usually happens after expiration which is Friday (two days from now). Most option holders don't assign early because they'd lose whatever time value is remaining on the options.

Reactions: intelligator

It shows green tomorrow, even if the price stays the same (145). That seems a bit odd, though perhaps that factors in IV crush?

View attachment 899767

I highly doubt it calculates IV crush without the option to input a volatility date.

Reactions: ShareLofty

View attachment 899767
You need to adjust IV yourself on the page.
Not surprising a call would lose value if time passes and the stock price stays the same (all Theta, no Selta). Which means green if you wrote it.
Screenshot_20230125_155515_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: ZeApelido