Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say it runs to $242 and tops out and shows breakdown signals, I can sell everything with a CB below $242 for quite nice gains, then sit out with dry powder until the fall completes, whether it’s a $10, $40, or $100 drop.
Are you doing all this in a tax deferred account or taxable?

In taxable I'd sell shares with higher cost to show a loss. In tax deferred it doesn't matter - all the shares are same with some avg cost.

Reactions: deerfield
Are you doing all this in a tax deferred account or taxable?

In taxable I'd sell shares with higher cost to show a loss. In tax deferred it doesn't matter - all the shares are same with some avg cost.

Taxable account. Since I’m re-entering the shares within 30 days (usually), I am hit with a wash-sale anyhow, so I believe it doesn’t save me much. It just pushes off the loss to next year. And I just assign the lots sold to the specific lots purchased (TD Ameritrade).

If you know differently please share.

TradyTics Options/Dealer update

Nice long/hold signal on the Dealer Greeks buildup (see red on far right, this correlates with hold/long if you backtest and look to the left too, the bigger the red and longer days it stayed the higher TSLA went, though it is not a guarantee (see Jan 22' and Mar 22'):

1684457135183.png

Tomorrow is favored bullish based on price distribution:

1684457321296.png

Monday volatility or round-trip day (fade rally or buy fade):

1684457392517.png

Tuesday bullish:

1684457449374.png

Wednesday, mixed:

1684457500840.png

Thursday volatility or round-trip day (fade rally or buy fade):

1684457544125.png

GEX Levels - Can be seen as support and resistance based on dealer GEX. Red is magnet, green repels (zoom in):

1684457927521.png

Looks like 172.50's can serve as decent support based on +GEX (green).

(Mods: If this data is not appropriate for this thread please move/delete and let me know so I won't post these kind of updates here.)

For the options "hive mind" here, any thoughts on this TSLA Jun 9th 200/215/230 Long Call Butterfly. It seems for about $3k-6K at risk (i.e. cost), the upside can be quite good.

Anything to know about this type of butterfly play with TSLA and in the current environment?
Maybe go further out to July (costs more)?
Different strikes?
Other tweaks?

I'm not asking whether to do it since we all make our own decisions, but your thoughts on this type of setup.

June 9:

1684462148660.png

July 21:

1684462182126.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue horseshoe
Well I am not liking the $185cc's I sold for next week. Added a few at $1.5 and some $187.5cc's at $1.07. The market feels bullish all the sudden and Tesla has not really gone up. Maybe it is a delayed reaction 😬. I still have 1/3rd of the shares free.

If I’ve learned anything the past few weeks, TSLA is likely to visit the $170’s at some point before next Friday, at which point it may be an opportunity for us with -C185 5/26 to BTC for green (mine is avg $1.40). If it doesn’t retrace then I’ll look at rolling mine up and out. (Finally I’m not panicking, lol)

IMG_9238.jpeg

Informative 15-min video on TSLA’s recent moves from Jan to today and the confluence of resistances at $177-$180 and what mounting $180 and staying above it may mean for TSLA going forward.

Worth a watch IMO for adding to the thought process when planning strikes and DTE these days.

Notably, over $180 watch out above with a potential powerful Wave 3 (in his EW count), with $275 and higher possible over the next several months.

IMG_9240.jpeg

IMG_9241.jpeg

Last edited:
Take a bell curve for example, most of what we see is the middle 68% which contains the -1/+1 SD plus the outer 29% which contains the -2/+2 SD, yet there are probabilities of -3/+3, -4/+4, so on and so forth...

Look at the Delta. That is the probability the option will be ITM at expiry.

Just for hygiene in our thinking (not calling out anyone), actual price outcomes in the stock market do not follow a classic bell curve distribution (though delta, AFAIK is calculated based on a Gaussian normal distribution). If you plot the outcomes, the histogram has fatter tails than a normal bell curve. If someone wants to go down that rabbit hole, Fooled by Randomness - Wikipedia

So for us this means that delta, if calculated based on a Gaussian normal distribution, underrepresents extreme outcomes to the left and to the right.

Informative 15-min video on TSLA’s recent moves from Jan to today and the confluence of resistances at $177-$180 and what mounting $180 and staying above it may mean for TSLA going forward.

Worth a watch IMO for adding to the thought process when planning strikes and DTE these days
@Jim Holder Good analysis video, thanks for posting.

Pre-market is bouncing around below the 50D SMA ($177.81) after pulling back from the after market highs (as I was expecting). Getting through that major resistance zone around $177.65 during normal trading will be the first battle (expect a pre-open/open push down) and then to see if we can close above it or even $180 with another resistance at $182. However I'm very aware of the MMaster Class we received last Friday when TSLA opened at $176, rose to the $177.3 resistance and then saw a massive pulldown all day to the MM target below $170, closing at $168.

Could we see similar again today? I wouldn't put it past the MM's but there's more FOMO and overall bullishness to contend with this week to be able to get a close below $175. If NASDAQ pulls back today they will use it to drop us lower, otherwise we could continue to squeeze higher.

Last edited:
For the options "hive mind" here, any thoughts on this TSLA Jun 9th 200/215/230 Long Call Butterfly. It seems for about $3k-6K at risk (i.e. cost), the upside can be quite good.

Anything to know about this type of butterfly play with TSLA and in the current environment?
Maybe go further out to July (costs more)?
Different strikes?
Other tweaks?

I'm not asking whether to do it since we all make our own decisions, but your thoughts on this type of setup.

June 9:

View attachment 939038

July 21:

View attachment 939039

Adding to this, perhaps worth the wait on opening this until TSLA succeeds getting over the $177–$180 resistances and closes around $182?

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this type of option play?

Going for a gamma squeeze morning over here - Bought some $185C's this morning at $0.10 each to see if we get a runner today.

No stop loss - spent a couple hundred bucks out of my sushi money to see what happens. I am out of all other short term positions - as I like to be on Friday since these are the days that can run in my opinion.

I've subscribed to Bookmap on TOS for a month. Watching it and trying to learn. Found this interesting from this morning. The first screenshot is from 9:39ET this morning. The 180 wall was 208K. In my short time watching how these walls play out, a wall this big would take quite a while to chew through. The 2nd image is from 10:12am. The wall simply vanished. Was this a marketmaker mirage?

Attachments

• Vanished-Wall2.jpg
    Vanished-Wall2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 28
Going for a gamma squeeze morning over here - Bought some $185C's this morning at $0.10 each to see if we get a runner today.

No stop loss - spent a couple hundred bucks out of my sushi money to see what happens. I am out of all other short term positions - as I like to be on Friday since these are the days that can run in my opinion.

That could turn out to be a golden move. It's starting to look mighty squeezy.

It's tempting to close the -p162.5 5/26 and -p160 6/2 after just one day with 65% and 40% profit, but I wouldn't know what to do after that :eek:
Always a good problem to have IMO. Now have similar good problem to have on the -C side as I have some 180CC/182.5CC to deal with. Will likely roll it to next week.

I was looking to close my similar -P position as you and open higher -P for next week but life got in the way.