Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The psychology of channels. Let's study the current bullish channel.

Look at where the stock touched the top trendline resistance in the past 2 weeks.

The first time it touched it was a non-event. All channels need a point of origination.
The 2nd time was also a nothingburger except for the fact that it made that new high only after an unexpected news (new TWTR CEO) and after such a steep pullback.
The 3rd time was when SPY hit 6 month high on Friday.

The question is: what did it take for the stock to spike violently twice in 2 weeks? Nothing short of spectacular. These events can happen again and again but just like drugs, euphoria tends to numb the market once it's has worn off and each subsequent dose has to drastically outdo the last in order to produce new highs.

Bullish channels are a luxury. Take this one for example: every week it goes up by about $5. If TSLA simply follows this channel for the next 3 years and gains a measly $5 every week, it would end up at $930 by June 2026. Let's forget about the for/against valuation arguments for a second. What about macro hiccups? Company bad news?

Bullish channels, therefore, have a limited shelf life and the stock tends to gravitate toward the bottom of the channel over time before eventually falling out of it and it takes a tremendous amount of energy to touch the top. Every time it touches the top, ask yourself what happened? Did something fundamentally change, like a massive ER beat, or is it something else? If TSLA rallies to the top all by itself then pls, for the love of God, don't stand in front of it. On the other hand, if it is simply responding to unexpected developments that don't really have a long term impact to the fundamentals, then it's more of a flash than a freight train. This is when one should expect a semi-immediate reversal to the mean.
1684597694980.png

Can TSLA break out of a bullish channel? It sure can, but the market doesn't like it. Every time that happened in the past, the stock would eventually fall back to earth after a spectacular breakout.
1684598947743.png

In both of these 2 examples, TSLA underwent some sort of once-in-a-lifetime event. The first time was the SP 500 inclusion followed by a gamma squeeze into Q4 2020 ER. The 2nd time was a massive Q3 2021 ER beat followed by a massive short squeeze. But, eventually, the stock couldn't survive the high altitude and crashed back to earth weeks/months later.

So:
When TSLA is acting irrationally, especially after a fundamental change, get out of the way. If you're already caught dead with a slightly ITM call, roll it out 6 months or so.
Be careful with selling puts along these rallies. Don't assume it will go on forever. Once it reverses, it will reverse hard and you won't have time to react. Do still sell them as you should never fight the trend, but be conscious of the channel which will act as a magnet pulling the SP back down.

If you're caught with an ITM call within a bullish channel, identify its slope. Then you will have an idea of how ITM you can afford to be and still be able to play catchup.

The current channel goes up about $5 a week. Therefore, one way you can structure your rolls is to make sure you can roll them out for a $5 strike improvement every week. Right now a 5 DTE ATM call pays you about $5. Since the top of the channel reaches 187 by EOD next Friday, you then don't want to hold anything less than a -182.5C exp 5/26. If by EOD Friday it reaches and closes at 187.5, you can roll a 5/26 -182.5C to a 6/2 -187.5C for $0 or a small debit. This is how you can play catch up with a bullish channel. If you cannot roll to a 5/26 -182.5C, then maybe it's worth exploring other, longer dated options and bet on an eventual reversal to the mean, which means there has to be something on the calendar that will compel the market to take a more cautious stand: maybe a 1st quarterly GDP reading, an FOMC meeting, a monthly CPI release, the P&D report, etc... use these events as a potential temporary magnet for the SP and roll your calls to just before a target date if an ATM weekly roll is not affordable. This is what you should do if something like a November 2020 or November 2021 happens again. You have to do this early as the more ITM those calls get, the worse the rolls are going to get.
1684597694980.png

If you're already in the safe zone, there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Look at where the stock touched the top trendline resistance in the past 2 weeks.

The first time it touched it was a non-event. All channels need a point of origination.
The 2nd time was also a nothingburger except for the fact that it made that new high only after an unexpected news (new TWTR CEO) and after such a steep pullback.

The question is: what did it take for the stock to spike violently twice in 2 weeks? Nothing short of spectacular. These events can happen again and again but just like drugs, euphoria tends to numb the market once it's has worn off and subsequent doses have to drastically outdo the last in order to produce new highs.

Bullish channels are a luxury. Take this one for example: every week it goes up by about $5. If TSLA simply follows this channel for the next 3 years and gain a measly $5 every week, it would end up at $930 by June 2026. Let's forget about the for/against valuation arguments for a second. What about macro hiccups? Company bad news?

Bullish channels, therefore, have a limited shelf life and the stock tends to gravitate toward the bottom of the channel over time before eventually falling out of it and it takes a tremendous amount of energy to touch the top. Every time it touches the top, ask yourself what happened? Did something fundamentally change, like a massive ER beat, or is it something else? If TSLA rallies to the top all by itself then pls, for the love of God, don't stand in front of it. On the other hand, if it is simply responding to unexpected developments that don't really have a long term impact to the fundamentals, then it's more of a flash than a freight train. This is when one should expect a semi-immediate reversal to the mean.
View attachment 939503
Can TSLA break out of a bullish channel? It sure can, but the market doesn't like it. Every time that happened in the past, the stock would eventually fall back to earth after a spectacular breakout.
View attachment 939517

In both of these 2 examples, TSLA underwent some sort of once-in-a-lifetime event. The first time was SP 500 followed by a gamma squeeze into Q4 2020 ER. The 2nd time was a massive Q3 2021 ER beat followed by a massive short squeeze. But, eventually, the stock couldn't survive the high altitude and crashed back to earth weeks/months later.

So:
When TSLA is acting irrationally, especially after a fundamental change, get out of the way. If you're already caught dead with a slightly ITM call, roll it out 6 months or so.
Be careful with selling puts along these rallies. Don't assume it will go on forever. Once it reverses, it will reverse hard and you won't have time to react. Do still sell them as you should never fight the trend, but be conscious of the channel which will act as a magnet pulling the SP back down.

If you're caught with an ITM call within a bullish channel, identify its slope. Then you will have an idea of how ITM you can afford to be and still be able to play catchup.

The current channel goes up about $5 a week. Therefore, one way you can structure your rolls is to make sure you can roll them out for a $5 strike improvement every week. Right now a 5 DTE ATM call pays you about $5. Since the top of the channel reaches 187 by EOD next Friday, you then don't want to hold anything less than a -182.5C exp 5/26. If by EOD Friday it reaches and closes at 187.5, you can roll a 5/26 -182.5C to a 6/2 -187.5C for $0 or a small debit. This is how you can play catch up with a bullish channel. If you cannot roll to a 5/26 -182.5C, then maybe it's worth exploring other, longer dated options and bet on an eventual reversal to the mean, which means there has to be something on the calendar that will compel the market to take a more cautious stand: maybe a 1st quarterly GDP reading, an FOMC meeting, a monthly CPI release, the P&D report, etc... use these events as a potential temporary magnet for the SP and roll your calls to just before a target date if an ATM weekly roll is not affordable. This is what you should do if something like a November 2020 or November 2021 happens again. You have to do this early as the more ITM those calls get, the worse the rolls are going to get.
View attachment 939503

This is the best, most understandable advice I’ve read in a long time. Thank you so much! I’m guessing that lots of folks will benefit from this, and maybe no CC sold below 190 this week! Edit: if I’m reading the channels correctly, then ICs at 160/170/200/210 should be safe for 5/26. They were close to $0.80-$0.85 yesterday, so very nice return on capital at risk. Might try something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best, most understandable advice I’ve read in a long time. Thank you so much! I’m guessing that lots of folks will benefit from this, and maybe no CC sold below 190 this week! Edit: if I’m reading the channels correctly, then ICs at 160/170/200/210 should be safe for 5/26. They were close to $0.80-$0.85 yesterday, so very nice return on capital at risk. Might try something like that.
The call side is definitely safe. Not so sure about the put side, though, as the bottom of a bullish channel is naturally a stronger magnet than the top.

The call side is definitely safe. Not so sure about the put side, though, as the bottom of a bullish channel is naturally a stronger magnet than the top.
So, $20 upside and $10 downside ? Looks imbalanced. 150/160 + 200/210 looks better (but obviously lower premium).
Thanks. Eyeballing the channel looks like about $172 low for Friday. Yes, I was thinking to be a bit more aggressive on the put side, which might be a mistake. Perhaps better to be conservative and take the lower risk and premiums. I thought selling 190 CCs and those imbalanced ICs might hedge the risk. Cogitations……🤔

Looking again at the hourly chart, the turnaround seems imminent, but I’m just not 100% confident. Maybe we jump up at open and drop for a few days back to the bottom of the channel. Maybe not, and the MMD fails to materialize, and we continue up slowly, another +$5 week, just enough to drain call premiums at the same rate as theta. RSI peaked near 80 on the hourly, higher than in a long time. Stochastic too, but MACD is still low.

Probably best to just wait until the SP direction is decided by the whales, then follow the momentum. Any advice on how to predict direction in the first 30 min of trading? For me, it’s all hazy.

6E1A0C39-A4FC-4ED8-8516-BC37D3A7371C.jpeg

The question is: what did it take for the stock to spike violently twice in 2 weeks? Nothing short of spectacular. These events can happen again and again but just like drugs, euphoria tends to numb the market once it's has worn off and each subsequent dose has to drastically outdo the last in order to produce new highs.

Bullish channels are a luxury. Take this one for example: every week it goes up by about $5. If TSLA simply follows this channel for the next 3 years and gains a measly $5 every week, it would end up at $930 by June 2026. Let's forget about the for/against valuation arguments for a second. What about macro hiccups? Company bad news?

View attachment 939503
View attachment 939517

In both of these 2 examples, TSLA underwent some sort of once-in-a-lifetime event. The first time was the SP 500 inclusion followed by a gamma squeeze into Q4 2020 ER. The 2nd time was a massive Q3 2021 ER beat followed by a massive short squeeze. But, eventually, the stock couldn't survive the high altitude and crashed back to earth weeks/months later.

So:

View attachment 939503

Thank you for taking the time to write this up for us. Clear and very helpful.

If you offered a subscription service I would be from the first to sign up to show my appreciation.

If you offered a subscription service I would be from the first to sign up to show my appreciation.

I’ve always wondered why anyone would have YT subscription for stock tips, TA etc. if they are really so good won’t they make enough to not bother with making YT videos for subscribers ?

BTW - someone should start a simple option selling service. Take flat monthly fees not based on portfolio size. Just sell options once a week and monitor / roll etc. Should me minimal work and should be able to make a decent living By doing the option selling for half a dozen people. Could even be a little bit profit sharing. I’d consider one …

Reactions: Jim Holder
I’ve always wondered why anyone would have YT subscription for stock tips, TA etc. if they are really so good won’t they make enough to not bother with making YT videos for subscribers ?

Likely true for many out there. I've also found that there's a good portion of people who derive pleasure from sharing their knowledge with others. A side benefit of doing so helps them sharpen their own skills, keeps them accountable, and any extra income from subs is a nice bonus which can be deployed to trading or whatever.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
Likely true for many out there. I've also found that there's a good portion of people who derive pleasure from sharing their knowledge with others. A side benefit of doing so helps them sharpen their own skills, keeps them accountable, and any extra income from subs is a nice bonus which can be deployed to trading or whatever.
Interesting dynamic about sharing one's knowledge and teaching others -- the teacher learns at least as much as the students. Arguably more, as the effort to teach a complex topic requires articulating it out loud (whether that is actually spoken, or written, speech), and doing so requires that the idea make logical and consistent sense to yourself.

Nobody learns more than the teacher.

Or at least that's been my experience :)

BTW - someone should start a simple option selling service. Take flat monthly fees not based on portfolio size. Just sell options once a week and monitor / roll etc. Should me minimal work and should be able to make a decent living By doing the option selling for half a dozen people. Could even be a little bit profit sharing. I’d consider one …

I did this for a while for family members in 2003-2004 (payment: 25% of the profits), but I found it to be very stressful. Putting your own money at risk is a whole different feeling than putting other people’s money at risk. So despite it being profitable I stopped after a year. Too much pressure.

It was also difficult to deal with multiple accounts/logins (I cannot imagine a combined account, that’s asking for trouble). And I think it might be illegal if it becomes more than a family & friends thing.

Interesting dynamic about sharing one's knowledge and teaching others -- the teacher learns at least as much as the students. Arguably more, as the effort to teach a complex topic requires articulating it out loud (whether that is actually spoken, or written, speech), and doing so requires that the idea make logical and consistent sense to yourself.

Nobody learns more than the teacher.

Or at least that's been my experience :)
Absolutely. Thats why a lot of us are here - to contribute and learn.

But there are accounts on Twitter that are clearly trying to get more clicks, more subscribers etc. Reminds me of the old adage - Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach ;)

I did this for a while for family members in 2003-2004 (payment: 25% of the profits), but I found it to be very stressful. Putting your own money at risk is a whole different feeling than putting other people’s money at risk. So despite it being profitable I stopped after a year. Too much pressure.

It was also difficult to deal with multiple accounts/logins (I cannot imagine a combined account, that’s asking for trouble). And I think it might be illegal if it becomes more than a family & friends thing.
Yes - doing this for family is a big responsibility. I meant professionally - there are all these banks who will do this kind of thing but they want a % of the portfolio as fees. But surely there are certified financial advisors who are good traders - who can offer this service. Say at $1k per month, they would spend about 10 hours max and get $100 an hour. They would need about 20 clients to make a decent living or less if there is profit sharing involved (though profit sharing can introduce emotion into their trading).

They have to just execute agreed plans, dispassionately. They are probably going to do a better job since emotions are not involved.

ps : I started reading about it and selling options after a portfolio manager at Morgan Stanley offered they can do that for me as part of portfolio management ;)

Interesting insight into TSLA’s option chain this week. Specifically the +P85 6/16 to capture cheap Vega since TSLA is trading at low volatility:

Thanks for posting that. Interestingly, I was just looking at Friday’s largest trades and was coming to the same conclusions as that video. The bearish 3000x June -c170/+p170 trade piqued my interest the most, but also the 2171x -p180/-c180 0DTE at 15:17 (ballsy), the 2680x +c180 at 15:15 (stupid), 1879x -p180/-c180 0DTE at 11:00 (Poor?), 1649x roll at 15:24 for -c175 to -c190 Jun 16 (Smart move, though caught off-guard, TMC? @BornToFly ?;)🤣). Also, looks like lots of DITM puts were exercised (ouch), just the extrinsic value dropped to zero.

Taken together, seems like traders are positioned for a return to the bottom of the channel. Darn, wish I had sold those -c190s on Friday. Oh well, let’s hope for a quick AM spike and typical MMD to set the stage. GLTA.

245BFF7B-2CEC-4BB6-863E-51B34ABB8832.jpeg

Thanks for posting that. Interestingly, I was just looking at Friday’s largest trades and was coming to the same conclusions as that video. The bearish 3000x June -c170/+p170 trade piqued my interest the most, but also the 2171x -p180/-c180 0DTE at 15:17 (ballsy), the 2680x +c180 at 15:15 (stupid), 1879x -p180/-c180 0DTE at 11:00 (Poor?), 1649x roll at 15:24 for -c175 to -c190 Jun 16 (Smart move, though caught off-guard, TMC? @BornToFly ?;)🤣). Also, looks like lots of DITM puts were exercised (ouch), just the extrinsic value dropped to zero.

Taken together, seems like traders are positioned for a return to the bottom of the channel. Darn, wish I had sold those -c190s on Friday. Oh well, let’s hope for a quick AM spike and typical MMD to set the stage. GLTA.

View attachment 939823

I never understood those big directional bets/risks, since no one “knows” in advance how the SP will play out, it must be big institutions with the capability to absorb a loss if it goes against them.

GEX levels show -GEX magnet support to $185, with +GEX @ $173 acting as repellent, maybe we bounce between them:

1684708660428.png

(Zoom in • 1-Hr Chart)

Tomorrow's price distribution looks bullish:

1684708766119.png

Tuesday also:

1684709098117.png

Wednesday as well:

1684708874379.png

Thursday especially:

1684708930688.png

Friday:

1684708967765.png

Darkpool sentiment last few weeks:
1684709139738.png

Let's see next week if these played out as expected.

🚨

Quite eerily, the Monte Carlo price simulation shows end of June as quite bearish down to 156 o_O. But it could be just funny data. Not sure how trustworthy the simulation is. We could check back in July to see if it was accurate to any degree:

1684709218387.png

Maybe something's cooking which the big boys see and they're betting will happen.

Last edited:

View attachment 939823

I had a hard time understanding the +P85 6/16 play. Do you understand what they’re trying to do with that?

I had a hard time understanding the +P85 6/16 play. Do you understand what they’re trying to do with that?
Same. Perhaps a pre-set BTC? Isn’t June a quarterly? If they STO back in January or late December, it could have been a decent premium, maybe $8-$10. It’s so far OTM now it doesn’t make sense as a BTO. Unless the US govt fails to fund its obligations or WWIIII goes off, theta decay will overwhelm SP drops. Even a huge increase in IV shouldn’t help much, unless SP drops significantly. Maybe it’s a bet that a tornado will hit giga Austin.:eek:

Edit: What is GEX in your post above? Given all those days of predicted positive, I’m thinking about sitting this week out.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
What is GEX in your post above?

Briefly, it’s market maker’s Gamma Exposure. One major function of GEX is to imply current risk level for market makers. When a big GEX is observed in the market either in positive or negative value, it means market makers may face a considerate gamma exposure risk needs to be hedged. This is especially indicative when big GEX occurs near the expiration term or on the strike date.

Since market makers have to play the opposite against the mass traders, market makers need to trade on the underlying market or take other measures before the strike date to offset their GEX risk. Otherwise, they would lose their spreads.

Based on this analysis, we can deduce an approximate price range or key price level market makers would expect or be glad to see when the option price comes near the end strike date. In this way, we can construct a basic but effective option strategy using extreme GEX near term-to-expiration value to estimate risk level of market makers.

Together with technical analysis we may expect price movement with higher chance of winning aspect based on trading flow and option chain information.

(From Introduction to Gamma Exposure(GEX). Google and YouTube has tons more info on it too.)

If by EOD Friday it reaches and closes at 187.5, you can roll a 5/26 -182.5C to a 6/2 -187.5C for $0 or a small debit. This is how you can play catch up with a bullish channel.

What is common practice for those holding 5/26 -C185 when TSLA touches $185 during the week (likely this week we are at $183 already), roll then or wait to end of week to roll? Is there an interplay with when to roll?

Thanks.