Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling vs. Trading In my 2013 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
We were early adopters and received our MS in February 2013 (after ordering in June 2012). So we are at the 7.5 year mark in our ownership (Vin 43XX.) We bought just about everything available on the car when we bought it, which means we have the backward facing seats for our grandkids, the 85 battery and free supercharging for life. We have about 60K miles on the car and it gets about 245 miles on a full charge, 220 on a regular charge. It's the old dolphin grey and still looks pretty nice on the outside. We thought (now in our mid 70's) that is would be our last car. However, with all the new features, like FSD, we are thinking about getting a new MS or maybe Y or 3.

Here is the question. Is it better to trade or sell our MS? Does the third seat add much value to the trade in or resale value and if we sell it privately, does the new owner get free Supercharging for the life of the car. The battery warranty ends in 6 months, but we haven't had any problems. Any sense of what we might expect to sell or trade it for? We even have a charity that we support that will take it as a donation. But, I would like to have the next owner to be able to have free supercharging if they can use it. BTW, we are in the SF Bay Area, about 35 miles from Fremont.

Thanks.

It’s always better from a financial perspective to sell privately, but only you can decide if you want to deal with the headache of doing so.

Tesla’s trade offer will be insulting. You can most likely net $5k or more selling privately or to somewhere else like Carmax / Vroom / Carvana.

You should definitely give Carvana, Vroom, and CarMax a call. They always come on top. When I got my Tesla I sold the S4 6MT to CarMax for KBB private party price;)

Local buyers can be a mixed bunch, and I do not want to have to sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne