TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Selling X back to Tesla - instead of taking delivery

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Kwilson, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kwilson

Kwilson New Member

New to this website - but it seems like the best source of information out there. We've been on the waitlist for what seems like an eternity, and our X is finally ready. However, we're now having second thoughts and not sure we need the X at this time. That said, the Tesla rep offered us $7k for our model. Has anyone heard of this? If so, how much did Tesla offer you? It seems like the way to go, but not sure if there are other options we should consider (private sale?). What would you do? Thank you in advance for your advice & input.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I do not understand what you mean by that.

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

They offered you $7k for what? More than your deposit or as a refund to your deposit which was what?

• Disagree x 1
  4. Kwilson

Kwilson New Member

$7k (to sign the car over to Tesla; for them to resell) in addition to our $5k deposit we put down. When I told the sales manager I wasn't sure I wanted it, I was told "we had options." From what I understand, the trim & color we chose is a popular one, so they'd have no problem reselling the car to someone down the list (willing to pay more?). Maybe that's how they're able to incentivize it?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Shoot, for $7k extra I would sell them the car and just place another order. :)

6. Kwilson

Kwilson New Member

My thoughts exactly! Hadn't heard of it happening, then again I'm sure very few turn down the car after having waited so long.

7. njxman

njxman Member

What are you waiting for? I'd be on the phone to my sales manager before he changed his mind. Especially because you're having second thoughts on the car.

8. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

to clarify, they are going to return your 5k and give you another 7k? I don't think so... no chance

• Like x 5
  9. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

This is really weird. They will refund you destination fee too? We are missing something from the story.

10. chrisnavline54

Yes tell me more Kwilson....... l am in the exact same position as you. My X90D has completed production and l have since changed my mind. l had put down the $2500 deposit and was sure l was going to lose it should l cancel. Reading your story, I'm super interested to see how this is going to work :)

good luck

11. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

#11 Sonny Daze, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    How are they going to make the $7k back? They already got their hands slapped for selling cars under "MSRP" are they going to give the other direction a try? If it gets registered by the buyer and then Tesla buys it back, can they sell as CPO for whatever they want without breaking any internal rules/regulations? Of course, the buyer would have to pay any sales taxes.

12. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

There also isn't a $5k deposit, so that's also off.

Maybe this is some misunderstanding about the $7,500 tax credit?

13. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

It used to be a 5K deposit and later changed to 2500.

14. mohanman

mohanman Member

If they are offering you 7K plus your 5K back, and you walk away, do it.

• Like x 1
  15. doublebo7

doublebo7 Member

Wish I was offered the same deal became I'd snap their hand off!
    I placed my $5k reservation in Jan 2015 for a RHD 90DX, delivery coming in March but since October 2016 I did make it clear that the 100D would be the model I would want.
    Not one out of my 5 DS have bothered to liaise with me so basically I've just had enough.
    £85k into my pension pot sounds a better option

16. anthony

anthony Member

Seems bogus to me.

Either a miscommunication or a customer willing to pay for your optionsto jump the line. The later being a huge stretch of the imagination.

No one pays you not to buy a Tesla.

Why would they when there are others waiting and you are in a contract.

17. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

yep.. wrong info here.
    otherwise, we may all go ahead and 'sell back to Tesla' for a profit before delivery and then just go buy another one..

18. MasterT

MasterT Member

Orange County, hmm, that's couple of hours from me. Looks like a good business opportunity

19. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Wow, first I heard of this. If you are having doubts about the order in the first place, then getting $7k extra back sounds like a no brainer.

However, as others point out, make sure to clarify your understanding is correct first and get everything in writing. You don't want to end up in a situation where you end up taking delivery and then it ends up a different situation than what you interpreted.

20. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

Sounds like maybe they want YOU to pay Tesla $7K in additional to forfeiting your $5K deposit - not that they want to give you a $7K profit on your order - that would make no sense...

• Like x 3