Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling your existing car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not lucky enough to already be driving a Tesla and be able to take advantage of its high value but with mine due next Friday I need to move my existing car on.

I had been in company cars for years before buying my current Passat so haven’t sold a Car for quite some time, has anybody got any recommendations for the best place to do it? I am thinking the obvious Autotrader?

I had planned to look at places like WBAC and Motorway but the prices seem to have dropped off a cliff in the past few weeks and Autotrader are advising me to list my car for about £2k more than WBAC are offering.

Is there anywhere new that’s advised?

I sold my M3LR a couple of weeks ago to WBAC, they gave me £5k more than I was being offered by Motorway and was at the top end of the Parkers private sale estimate.

I had considered selling privately, but tbh I've not sold a car privately for 25+ years and didn't want the hassle of tyre-kickers, dodgy dealers, or anything going wrong with the transaction given the value.

I fully expected WBAC to be painful, it turned out to be great - sold in under 30 minutes, money transferred quickly, and they gave me more than the online estimate as the guy said I'd been too honest when it came to wear and tear (nibbled alloys etc)!

I am not lucky enough to already be driving a Tesla and be able to take advantage of its high value but with mine due next Friday I need to move my existing car on.

I had been in company cars for years before buying my current Passat so haven’t sold a Car for quite some time, has anybody got any recommendations for the best place to do it? I am thinking the obvious Autotrader?

I had planned to look at places like WBAC and Motorway but the prices seem to have dropped off a cliff in the past few weeks and Autotrader are advising me to list my car for about £2k more than WBAC are offering.

Is there anywhere new that’s advised?
I have used WBC and Motorway and would use both again when I sell my last ICE.

Motorway looks great but their valuation sucks, for my car anyway.

Autotrader say it’s worth £15,800 and that I should list it for £16,200, and looking at what’s on there now that looks about right.

Motorway say £12,100 and WBAC say £13,400.

Motorway looks great but their valuation sucks, for my car anyway.

Autotrader say it’s worth £15,800 and that I should list it for £16,200, and looking at what’s on there now that looks about right.

Motorway say £12,100 and WBAC say £13,400.
WBAC and others need to sell the car on, with a profit, so if you need the max sale figure then AT is probably the way forward for you. My ICE BMW was brought by a dealer last week via Motorway, and they have only marked it up £4k which is similar to what the data is saying for your car

I have sold several cars om Autotrader and it has always been a good experience. I have sold cars on Autotrader for £5000 and £55,000. At the bottom end the buyers were people buying the car for themselves and at the top end it was dealers. I start with a price in my head (sensible / fair price) and I refuse until I get it or v near it . . . of course to do that I have had the luxury of not needing to sell by a fixed date. For £50 Autotrader worth a punt.

didn't want the hassle of tyre-kickers, dodgy dealers, or

Last time I sold a car privately (many years ago) the guy that came to see it took it away - whilst I was right there, and had been expecting and (thought I was!) prepared for that very thing. Very impressive job, and his accomplice that dropped him off ... Police coordinated with tracker company had the vehicle back before it had gone 30 miles ... kids dined out as Police "scrambled a chopper because we haven't got anything that could catch it" :)

Turns out it was a nicked-to-order gang from the smoke that the Police had been trying to nab for some time ...

More drama than I care to repeat.

• Informative
Reactions: Rooster6655
Has anyone here used CarWow for selling their car?

Initial impressions seem that quotes should be a little better than WeBuyAnyCar.

What have your experiences been? Do buyers try to knock loads off on arrival even with honest listings etc?

I understand it won’t be as good as selling privately, but I don’t really want to risk time wasters coming for a blast in my current car etc. I just want a nice easy process that can be completed within a few weeks after my MY arrives.

Thoughts?

For a bit of context, I tried listing as I thought it’d be like getting a quote for buying a car, however they give you a call to confirm you’re really ready to sell etc.

I left it as my car wasn’t clean, the pictures were crap etc.

I still got sent 3 offers - two were poor but the third was in the ballpark of what I’m looking to get

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Has anyone here used CarWow for selling their car?

Initial impressions seem that quotes should be a little better than WeBuyAnyCar.

What have your experiences been? Do buyers try to knock loads off on arrival even with honest listings etc?

I understand it won’t be as good as selling privately, but I don’t really want to risk time wasters coming for a blast in my current car etc. I just want a nice easy process that can be completed within a few weeks after my MY arrives.

Thoughts?
I sold my car on Carwow in under an hour. No hassle. I was going to use Motorway but I already had an account set up and I could enter the lowest price I would accept. The dealer bid more so I accepted.

I sold my car on Carwow in under an hour. No hassle. I was going to use Motorway but I already had an account set up and I could enter the lowest price I would accept. The dealer bid more so I accepted.
Out of interest, did you put a “reasonable” offer, or a highball.

For example, CarWows automated range for my car was 37-39k. So a highball would be to enter 40k.

Out of interest, did you put a “reasonable” offer, or a highball.

For example, CarWows automated range for my car was 37-39k. So a highball would be to enter 40k.
Carwow valued my car at £32,900 so I put a figure of £31,500 as the lowest bid I would accept. I’m guessing the dealer/buyer doesn’t see it and I was offered £32,300. I paid £30,000 for the car 18-months earlier, put 15k miles on it some finance outstanding, and it had some scratches/scuffs.

The same model/spec/miles were advertised on Autotrader ~£38k. Perhaps I could have got more but it had finance outstanding, some scratches/scuffs, and they would collect the car the following day.

If I was doing it again I’ll go a little higher but I was happy with the transaction.

Carwow valued my car at £32,900 so I put a figure of £31,500 as the lowest bid I would accept. I’m guessing the dealer/buyer doesn’t see it and I was offered £32,300. I paid £30,000 for the car 18-months earlier, put 15k miles on it some finance outstanding, and it had some scratches/scuffs.

The same model/spec/miles were advertised on Autotrader ~£38k. Perhaps I could have got more but it had finance outstanding, some scratches/scuffs, and they would collect the car the following day.

If I was doing it again I’ll go a little higher but I was happy with the transaction.
Your mentality sounds similar to mine. Besides just because they’re listed at that price on auto trader doesn’t mean it’s sold for that.

I’d have thought they’d have safeguards around people being silly with their accepted offer.

In my eyes as long as I get similar/a little more than a normal trade-in then I’m happy! Tesla trade-in just won’t cut it for me! 32k where everywhere else is indicating 38-39, and auto-trader listings of 40-45.

In my eyes as long as I get similar/a little more than a normal trade-in then I’m happy! Tesla trade-in just won’t cut it for me! 32k where everywhere else is indicating 38-39, and auto-trader listings of 40-45.
Exactly, they made a profit at the end of the day which is fair in my opinion and I was happy. That’s the best way of looking at it.

The offer isn’t legally binding. So you could refuse and then put it on Motorway. I don’t think it’s a problem to put it on both. The second hand prices are a little all over still but it’s a sellers market.

We buy any car has been problematic in the past for me.

Reactions: Toblerone