Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi-Auto freeway transition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody.

I was curious before trying it—when in the semi-auto drive mode and in a lane that exits onto another freeway, does the car continue in auto mode while turning onto the new freeway?

I’ve only had my car for a week and just want to make sure I know what to expect.

Thanks!

Hey everybody.

I was curious before trying it—when in the semi-auto drive mode and in a lane that exits onto another freeway, does the car continue in auto mode while turning onto the new freeway?

I’ve only had my car for a week and just want to make sure I know what to expect.

Thanks!

If there are two lanes exiting onto a new freeway and you are in the right lane, the car will normally stay in that lane and exit. If there is only one lane exiting, the car will normally keep going straight and not exit. This is a feature that Tesla promised up to a year ago and we are still waiting on it.

Reactions: Dana1
Ok that makes sense. So basically if I’m in a lane that can either go straight or merge, it’ll go straight. If I’m in a lane that only exits, it will exit and transition to the other freeway.

Thank for the help!!

If there are two lanes exiting onto a new freeway and you are in the right lane, the car will normally stay in that lane and exit. If there is only one lane exiting, the car will normally keep going straight and not exit. This is a feature that Tesla promised up to a year ago and we are still waiting on it.

Ok that makes sense. So basically if I’m in a lane that can either go straight or merge, it’ll go straight. If I’m in a lane that only exits, it will exit and transition to the other freeway.

Thank for the help!!

Yes, but really the current version is not doing anything to make that choice, so it could do either thing so you should be cautious since 9 times it could do one thing and then do something different the tenth. The current version really is just trying to keep you in a lane and moving forward, it doesn't take into account navigation destinations.
Matt

Reactions: swaltner
I’m not an owner just yet, but from what I understand you need to be carefully in this situation. If the line painting isn’t ideal, there’s like a one in a million chance eap will decide to drive straight into the divider. So, just a reminder, keep hands on the wheel.

I've done this a few times since our local exits and entrances are essentially just another lane on the right, with lane lines all the way. As long as you're in a lane it just keeps going. It does slow down for me now on the tight curve, but that's been semi-recent and may not always work for the curve you're on.

The only unusual problem I have with it now is when it insists on centering itself in two merging lanes once the center lane markings disappear. Watch out for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61
Tesla drives assist does the easy stuff really well, however when you get into a difficult situation it becomes less competent.

You will come to recognize those areas where you can relax and the autopilot will take a lot of the druggery out of the drive. On long stretches of highway or in rush hour traffic it can take a tremendous burden off the driver. However when the situations become more complicated, like on on and off ramps, constructions zones, poorly marked roads or when no leader vehicle is ahead of you, then you may want to take over the controls yourself.

Reactions: DR61