Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi event = truck load of customer M3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
200kwh battery inside of a car smaller than the Model 3? 600mile range in a car smaller than the model 3?

There is no way Tesla ran out of battery real estate in the model 3 that will keep it from 500 miles.

And so many people yelled at me here for making this very comment 8 months ago here. I KNOW Tesla can get more batteries in the Model 3. There is no way the roadster can get twice the distance of a Model 3 being a smaller car.

Reactions: CTreast
And so many people yelled at me here for making this very comment 8 months ago here. I KNOW Tesla can get more batteries in the Model 3. There is no way the roadster can get twice the distance of a Model 3 being a smaller car.

Irrelevant. You miss the point entirely. Model 3 is suppose to be AFFORDABLE for as many people as possible, thus you don't pack it with 200kWh of batteries because if you did that it wouldn't be AFFORDABLE. Give it a rest.

Irrelevant. You miss the point entirely. Model 3 is suppose to be AFFORDABLE for as many people as possible, thus you don't pack it with 200kWh of batteries because if you did that it wouldn't be AFFORDABLE. Give it a rest.
Listen,

The base can still be $35K. Max it out at $75K with 200kWh......

Get the one most affordable to you. My suggestion isn't getting rid of the affordability.

Just like the Model S price range. It doubles from the lowest to the highest.

Think. Stop feeling and think.

Listen,

Get the one most affordable to you. My suggestion isn't getting rid of the affordability.

Listen,

That's not Tesla's plan. You want more range, get the LR option battery for $9k making the base price $44k. You want more range than that, then put down a deposit tonight on a Roadster or Semi and wait 2-4 years.

Think. Stop feeling like Tesla should do what you want and think.

Reactions: Runt8 and Pkmmte
Listen,

That's not Tesla's plan. You want more range, get the LR option battery for $9k making the base price $44k. You want more range than that, then put down a deposit tonight on a Roadster or Semi and wait 2-4 years.

Think. Stop feeling like Tesla should do what you want and think.
I'm not simply talking about range. I'm talking about acceleration and the like. Tesla's plan? Tesla can do whatever it wants. That does not stop me from thinking about what I would want.

Tesla said that it maxed out all of the battery real estate in the Model 3. My question is: How did the new roadster get twice the range of the Model 3 and its smaller?

That makes me think that the Model 3 did not use all of its usable real estate. It does not matter what Tesla's plan is. Can you answer the question...if not please let someone else answer and stop trying to change the topic to me and attempting to insult me because that's a waste of time.

Did they fill what would have been the frunk ( the roadster doesn't seem to have the seams for a frumk) and the extra space under the trunk of the Model 3 with batteries? There are 3 motors in the roadster.....how did they get the real estate to do that?

2 parts - 1) what makes you think they are using the same batteries in the Roadster, 2) the Model 3 was designed to be cheaper, not cutting edge.
I don't know if its the same batteries.

I would suggest that the baseline Model 3 that is being sold right now for $49K and the next one for $35 to continue, however the one for $100K with the Roadster setup could ASO be offered. That way the affordability level won't have to change. Right?

That's what they did with the Model S when it started of with the 60kWh no P or D. Now look at the price of the P100D. I don't see a problem.

I'm just perplexed that Tesla could get 600+ mile range out of the little car while at the same time.....using all of the real estate in a bigger car up and getting HALF the range. Its just perplexing.

Maybe Tesla will be able to software unlock another 150 miles on current Model 3's someday......just as they just did a software unlock with the Model S's recently that increased their range.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
Listen,

Listen to me, the Model 3 will NEVER fit a 200kWh pack.
It might NEVER fit even a 100kWh one.
If you want to delude yourself, be my guest, but if you want to have thoughts that are possible, realize that unless Tesla manages to hugely improve Lithium Ion cell density, even a 100kWh pack for a M3 might never happen.
320 mile range is sufficient. The Model 3 will not be allowed to have range that much better than a MS/MX.
Until Tesla manages to put something like a 150kWh pack on a MS/MX, there will be no 100kWh M3.
The 200kWh pack alone is likely to be sold for around $60k (when it needs replacement), including Tesla profit.
You are dreaming...

When will we see the P200D model S/X? :)
Exact same problem. Too big, too heavy, too expensive. Probably a 150kWh MS/MX is as hard as a 100kWh M3.
Its been explained that the new Roadster has that much range as a consequence of its performance goals. It needs that many cells to generate the needed current for that much performance and it was a brand new designed tuned for that goal.

Instead of talking pack size, lets talk range. A 450 mile MS/MX will likely require a total/near total redesign of MS/MX, which I think is unavoidable over the next 5 years.
But it might make more sense to make charging a little faster and perhaps 350 miles range @ 70mph (5-6 hours highway driving), enough for a full morning/afternoon drive. With the ability to fully recharge in 1 hour. 5 hours driving for 1 hour recharge is very reasonable (very few drivers can drive all morning or all afternoon non stop anyways). 350 miles is even likely by just using 2170 cells and a few extra cells than today.

Last edited:
Listen to me, the Model 3 will NEVER fit a 200kWh pack.
It might NEVER fit even a 100kWh one.
If you want to delude yourself, be my guest, but if you want to have thoughts that are possible, realize that unless Tesla manages to hugely improve Lithium Ion cell density, even a 100kWh pack for a M3 might never happen.
320 mile range is sufficient. The Model 3 will not be allowed to have range that much better than a MS/MX.
Until Tesla manages to put something like a 150kWh pack on a MS/MX, there will be no 100kWh M3.
The 200kWh pack alone is likely to be sold for around $60k (when it needs replacement), including Tesla profit.
You are dreaming...
You are not answering any of my questions. Therefore....not listening.

If I'm dreaming fine, but how about answering my questions?

The Roadster only needs to seat 2 people and two torsos. And I don’t think it has a lot of trunk space. So sure anyone can put more and more batteries in a car.

At some point it’s a one seater you have to crawl in trough the sun roof... but it would have an awesome driving range.

Also, 3 years of battery technology, but I think it’s mostly more modules. stuffed in.