Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi event = truck load of customer M3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, what an event. Mind blowing. These Tesla events make my day. I'm glad to be part of the EV movement!

The semi is certainly something to want to be apart of.... but then they reveal a sports car. The company is concerned about
climate change and the future.... and they can't meet a deadline... yet they expend all of this time, energy and by the way a huge
carbon footprint to put a $250,000 car out there. This isn't going to make a difference, it will have the opposite effect on the environment.
What is mind blowing is revealing something to the public... and oh by the way you can't get one for 2 years (which is a lie)
where's the pickup? If you want to make a difference, we'd be placing orders for those already.

The semi is certainly something to want to be apart of.... but then they reveal a sports car. The company is concerned about
climate change and the future.... and they can't meet a deadline... yet they expend all of this time, energy and by the way a huge
carbon footprint to put a $250,000 car out there. This isn't going to make a difference, it will have the opposite effect on the environment.

In the end, we are humans, and humans have a need to be wow'ed once in a while. What's wrong with a little fun (sports car) to promote the company and provide something green and fun at the same time? I see it as a powerful statement of what is doable, and oh, by the way, we're doing it.

Reactions: pilotSteve and TEG
You seem to be here just to say that everything Tesla does is awful, lying, or counter to their mission... why are you even here?

-Jim
I would love to know why he spends so much time here. I generally don't like to put people on my ignore list because I feel like I miss vital parts of the discussion, but I've come to realize that his posts don't actually contribute anything meaningful.

And so many people yelled at me here for making this very comment 8 months ago here. I KNOW Tesla can get more batteries in the Model 3. There is no way the roadster can get twice the distance of a Model 3 being a smaller car.
The 200kWh battery in the Roadster is based on future projections. This car is not available now, and might be in 2020. It's also $200k for the base.

Sure, Tesla might be able to increase battery density in the Model 3 in 2020, and probably will. Will they offer a 200kWh battery? Probably not. I doubt there's a market for a $150k Model 3.

I'm not simply talking about range. I'm talking about acceleration and the like. Tesla's plan? Tesla can do whatever it wants. That does not stop me from thinking about what I would want.

Tesla said that it maxed out all of the battery real estate in the Model 3. My question is: How did the new roadster get twice the range of the Model 3 and its smaller?

That makes me think that the Model 3 did not use all of its usable real estate. It does not matter what Tesla's plan is. Can you answer the question...if not please let someone else answer and stop trying to change the topic to me and attempting to insult me because that's a waste of time.

Did they fill what would have been the frunk ( the roadster doesn't seem to have the seams for a frumk) and the extra space under the trunk of the Model 3 with batteries? There are 3 motors in the roadster.....how did they get the real estate to do that?

Garlan, don't worry wk057 should eventually be able to take care of your need for a larger battery if Tesla doesn't. HSR Motors Just because Tesla can build something doesn't mean you should. They can leave it to the aftermarket guys like Jason.

...then they reveal a sports car. The company is concerned about
What is mind blowing is revealing something to the public... and oh by the way you can't get one for 2 years (which is a lie)
where's the pickup? If you want to make a difference, we'd be placing orders for those already.
  • Meeting a deadline has nothing to do with their efforts at driving a sustainable future, it might delay it but that's about it.
  • You, and no one else here either, has any idea what the carbon footprint of the new Roadster is or will be.
  • Not everyone wants to drive a model 3, so they make different vehicles to meet different people's wants and needs. The new Roadster meets the needs of the people that want a car that does that sort of thing and will do it in much more sustainable way than a comparable ICE car.
I doubt the cells exist today for the new roadster to get 600 mile range. I'm told everything Musk says is aspirational.......

Fixed.
He's not an idiot. he knows that these projections will not be met. So he's lying, don't sugarcoat it.
Why do you think he's lying? The model met the range predictions, why can't the Roadster?

The semi is certainly something to want to be apart of.... but then they reveal a sports car.
I think showing the Roadster is pure genius. So many people still think that it's impossible for an EV to beat an ice muscle car. I already saw a 'carguy' who regrets to have bought an Audi R8! There will be many like him after this event.

Roadster is the Tesla Star, the best of the best, showing ICE's are growing obsolete quickly. This changes peoples minds, just like the Tesla semi does (and model S/X/3).

Right now the majority still believe gasoline cars are better than EV's. Tesla is proving in every department people need to change their ideas.
That is the message of this event: EV's are already incomparably better then ICE's and the gap is growing every day for years to come.

Last edited:
^ This.

Elon from the beginning had a vision to make a fast, sexy looking EV that shows the industry and the people that it can be done and lead the way. The roadster started this mission and we've seen the MS, MX, and M3 to fill out the secret plan. I think the roadster 3.0 (or whatever it's called) was simply Elon wanting another shot at what he intended the original roadster to be. The original roadster had a fair amount of compromises because Tesla was a startup. But now Tesla is a force to be reckoned with. Tesla's resources today, and in the foreseeable future (particularly once the M3 sales start to produce cash) are massive. Now Elon can do the roadster in a way that truly does what he wanted, and is without question a "hardcore smackdown to gas-powered cars". It's off the charts!

Last edited:
The Roadster only needs to seat 2 people and two torsos. And I don’t think it has a lot of trunk space. So sure anyone can put more and more batteries in a car.

At some point it’s a one seater you have to crawl in trough the sun roof... but it would have an awesome driving range.

Also, 3 years of battery technology, but I think it’s mostly more modules. stuffed in.
I think some of the range issue may be the cross-sectional area of the car. If range is (mostly) determined by driving at highway speeds then the number of people (and thus the weight) is largely irrelevant since, once that mass is accelerated to cruising speed, it becomes irrelevant and what matters is the aerodynamic drag. The drag is linearly proportional to cross-sectional area and drag coefficient, and goes as the square of the speed. So, at a constant cruising speed, the *relative* range is dependent on Cd and area. If the product of the Cd and x-sec area for the roadster are half of the M3, then the range doubles. I suspect the roadster has a smaller frontal area and is, maybe, a little slipperier (I made up that word) that extends range. It may also have more advanced Li+ cells too and utilizes more interior volume for more of them.

Fixed.
He's not an idiot. he knows that these projections will not be met. So he's lying, don't sugarcoat it.

Actually, not sure who you are talking about. Elon generally does hit his targets although not always on time. If he says he has the 600 miles on a 200kWh pack I am not sure what evidence you could have to disprove it. Teslas are already over 330 miles. Within 3 years I would naturally expect 500+ mile packs and at least 125kWh packs. Remember, we're already on the 100D series. That's a 20% increase from the 85s of 2013. This isn't a stretch at all.

My surprise is that Tesla said that they ran out of real estate and couldn't put more batteries in the wheel base of the Model 3. Now they have a car that is some 20% smaller and doubled the battery density. What?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk responded to a tweet with new information on the Model 3 battery, saying it will not exceed a capacity of 100 kWh due to the size of the wheelbase.

Elon Musk: The Model 3 Battery Will Be Below 100 kWh

geesh man.....can't we get something realistic? <---- see above post.

My surprise is that Tesla said that they ran out of real estate and couldn't put more batteries in the wheel base of the Model 3. Now they have a car that is some 20% smaller and doubled the battery density. What?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk responded to a tweet with new information on the Model 3 battery, saying it will not exceed a capacity of 100 kWh due to the size of the wheelbase.

Elon Musk: The Model 3 Battery Will Be Below 100 kWh

geesh man.....can't we get something realistic? <---- see above post.
When they start delivering Roadsters, let's talk about this. Until then, we know the options available.

200kwh battery inside of a car smaller than the Model 3? 600mile range in a car smaller than the model 3?

There is no way Tesla ran out of battery real estate in the model 3 that will keep it from 500 miles.
Is this the question you complained I (and others) haven't answered ?????

Elon SAID there isn't room inside a Model 3 for even 100kWh pack today.
The Model 3 design is COMPLETELY different than the new Roadster.
The new Roadster might be crammed with batteries from bumper to bumper. Or its pack might be taller.
Just because you want something, doesn't mean its logical, possible or economical.
The new Roadster costs US$ 200-250k.
Its goal is to put the roadster back as the top Tesla car.
The Model 3 is at the bottom of the heap... And there it will stay until an even cheaper Tesla is introduced.
Remember, the Model 3 is supposed to be cheap to produce. You are pretending high end features can be introduced without breaking that principle.

Nobody answered it because as I said before, you're dreaming. The reasons why this is impossible have been answered in other posts.

I know someone, a private entrepreneur, who is working on new battery technology (one of many) that will make today's technology look like a model T. Looks like these new batteries will be ready for prime time in 2-3 years. Your question answered and resolved. Let's move on.

Is this the question you complained I (and others) haven't answered ?????

Elon SAID there isn't room inside a Model 3 for even 100kWh pack today.
The Model 3 design is COMPLETELY different than the new Roadster.
The new Roadster might be crammed with batteries from bumper to bumper. Or its pack might be taller.
Just because you want something, doesn't mean its logical, possible or economical.
The new Roadster costs US$ 200-250k.
Its goal is to put the roadster back as the top Tesla car.
The Model 3 is at the bottom of the heap... And there it will stay until an even cheaper Tesla is introduced.
Remember, the Model 3 is supposed to be cheap to produce. You are pretending high end features can be introduced without breaking that principle.

Nobody answered it because as I said before, you're dreaming. The reasons why this is impossible have been answered in other posts.
Listen everyone. I'm really only quoting one statement that is only being responded to .....not answered. A response and an answer are not the same thing.

Elon said that there isn't enough battery room in the Model 3 for any more batteries. I don't care about price or anything. He didn't say that there isn't enough financial room for more batteries. He said that there is no more physical room. How can that be when the roadster is smaller with twice the battery size. I'm not asking for speculation.....I'm asking for an answer which no one seems to have. If you don't have an answer then don't respond. Don't speculate. Just wait to answer if you don't have THE answer......not a possibility. I'm cool with that.

There isn't much else going on in the Model 3 world....just let the question marinade if it has to.

Reactions: Pkmmte