Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi event = truck load of customer M3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yes, EV's are cheaper in TCO.
Highly depends on the ev brand....for Tesla, nope.
Tesla TCO calculations in comparison to say bmw have always been complete nonsense so far, at least for the european market, since people always calculate with list prices...which noone pays. The only one without rebates is Tesla. Everyone else here gives 20% off minimum...for company cars it can even go beyond the 30% mark......

The forecasts I´ve seen so far predict the break even point around 2022-23 based on the current batterie development speed . From that point onwards ICEs should slowly become obsolete for financial reasons alone in the mass market.

Last edited:
@Phrixotrichus I was referring to the US situation of which I have seen many calculations on Youtube and spreadsheets. I found a recent one for the model 3 vs BMW 330 which is pretty clear in favor of M3.
I´ve seen that one. List price calculation again.
Do you seriously not get rebates in the US? BMW, Audi, Mercedes, VW listprices are close to meaningless over here.
Tesla not giving heavy rebates was downright shocking when I started checking for my next company car :D
f.e. My loaded 5 series had a list price of nearly 90k...I paid just ab bit over 60. A naked Model S 75 on the other side would`ve cost me 77k, exactly the list price.

Last edited:
Until they repeatedly have Model 3s and Ys blow past them.

That’s why they all buy Mustangs and Camaros right now. They easily outsell the slow midsize SUVs. That’s why no company wants more SUVs but only sports cars!

To be part of the great vision of driving a fast car. Because isn’t that the cycle of life? Build an expensive sports car, to finance a cheaper luxury sedan, to finance an even cheaper luxury sedan, which then can finance a really expensive sports car!

But maybe I am thinking too narrow to really get it. Well, isn’t a sinus also an exponential function, only with an imaginary part? Maybe I lack @ecarfan s imagination? That’s why I don’t see the really big picture.

While I agree somewhat, what is gained by showing the car guys that can afford a roadster(a small minority, of a small minority), that ICEs are obsolete, while the regular person can't even buy a car in the category they need/want as an EV?

And if you look at the size of the global 200k+ sports car market, there is not much improvement to be had. And it isn't even like those cars are even moved that often. The average Ferrari probably has a smaller carbon footprint, than the average Prius. And given the massive battery and the low mileage those cars usually have, this won't really help clean up our planet.

So while I like the Roadster, I don't think it was really important. But it was the only car they can reveal to gain some cash, w/o hurting M3/S/X sales. If they revealed an affordable pickup, or even worse the Model Y, they could spend the next years antiselling, again.

To me the roadster is a tool to bring some much needed cash into Tesla's pockets. I's still great for all the people that can afford a 200k toy, but other than that it won't have much of an impact on anything.
Let me guess: you are not in marketing.
Neither am I, but I recognize a halo car when I see one.

Think of the Roadster as a very wise investment of advertising dollars and in Brand. The easier (read: cheaper) access to capital markets alone makes the Roadster a no brainer.

Last edited:
Let me guess: you are not in marketing.
Neither am I, but I recognize a halo car when I see one.

Think of the Roadster as a very wise investment of advertising dollars and in Brand. The easier (read: cheaper) access to capital markets alone makes the Roadster a no brainer.

Oh of course, also that. Not sure if Tesla really needed a halo car, though.

I'm generally not a fan of such halo cars, because they usually get developed once and then have to wait years for an update, like the GTR for example. But sure if Tesla thinks they need a halo car...

I don't think it had much of an effect on the stock market, but a lot of free press, even though that can usually be had with every other Elon tweet, which is a lot cheaper.

But maybe they'll sell a couple more performance Model 3s because of that, who knows.

Other than the extra $2 on the individual share, the reservation money and the effect such a halo car has on the regular cars sales, pretty minimal I guess, this just isn't really an important car to me. The semi is something really important, but when I compare the amount of coverage the Roadster gets, forums and news, and how much the Semi gets, I can only conclude that people are still more attracted to shiny things, than really disruptive things.

Of course you can twist things until even a 2+2 seater sports car for 200k seems important, but in truth it's as relevant as any other expensive sports car: not at all. No one will switch from a CR-V to a Model 3 because of this Roadster. Or to any other EV no matter the brand. And even someone who was looking at an Audi TT, won't be pushed towards a Model 3 now, if that person hasn't considered a Model 3 before.

I don't think that any logistics manager of big companies like Walmart, McDonalds etc will be at this forum (or they must be Tesla fans).
They will however be very interested to know the semi's specs and cost/mi and try them out. At forums like this one we'll only see the result at the earnings reports and such.

I don't think that any logistics manager of big companies like Walmart, McDonalds etc will be at this forum (or they must be Tesla fans).
They will however be very interested to know the semi's specs and cost/mi and try them out. At forums like this one we'll only see the result at the earnings reports and such.

I am pretty sure the amount of Tesla Semi drivers will eventually be higher, than the amount of Tesla Roadster drivers, though.