Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi-new 22 LR owner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

So I've got my '22 LR S for ~a month now and wanted to check in with other owners to see if some of the things I've been running into are normal/things I need to get used to, or issues I should be pushing my SC to fix instead of letting them gaslight me like they've been doing, haha.
  1. Turning the yoke sounds kinda like semi-smooth paper being moved around, if that makes sense. It's not consistent/at every turn angle so my guess is that it's not working as intended (I would expect it to make no noise and just be smooth, like the 3's wheel or.... any other car). I brought it up to them and they "made adjustments" and they basically just changed where it makes the paper-y noise.
  2. Regardless of comfort/standard/sport steering, I get way more feedback from the road with the yoke than I'm accustomed to. Even if I have it on something like comfort, going on northbound 101 (for you Bay Area folks) in either of the left-hand lanes feels like I'm constantly fighting the car to keep the damn thing straight so it ends up feeling fairly unsafe/I start getting anxious.
  3. Car/suspension feel excessively floaty regardless of comfort vs sport suspension modes at all kinds of speeds, but usually in what seem to be fairly flat and straight roads and I end up feeling like I don't have as much control. This in combo with the above makes me scared to drive the damn thing sometimes. My guess is this is literally just how air suspension works and is something I just need to get used to lol.
  4. Can't open the trunk via button on the car, keyfob doesn't work at all, handles don't present whenever I go down to the car in the morning, solution is to tap one of the door handles so the car gets woken up.
  5. likely related to ^ but in the opposite direction: car will not stay asleep for more than an hour at any given time. My Teslamate instance shows it constantly cycling between being asleep/awake every hour on the dot, causing a bunch of vampire drain. Turning off Teslamate resulted in the same behavior the next morning + equivalent battery drain, so I'm not expecting that Teslamate is the culprit here.
  6. When the trunk is open, on the far left/right edges where the trunk liner meets the tail lights, there seem to be massive gaps between the plastic liner and the body of the car where you can easily find a bunch of dirt/debris piled up in there (and, case in point, last time I took my car to the SC they indeed left a bunch of garbage in there 🙃). Attached image is of the right-hand side.
  7. Is there a known dead spot in the headlights on like the left third/quarter of light? The headlights generally look fine (aside from the terrible blue shift at the top end), but there's like one notch of dead light that's to my left while I'm driving where, it's not a huge deal, but it's enough that I've occasionally needed to double-take small things in that area at night.
Please let me know if I'm being a big baby and I will shut my mouth and continue enjoying the car for everything else, haha.

Attachments

• PXL_20220416_013236036.jpg
    PXL_20220416_013236036.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I have had my MSLR for 3.5 weeks now (EOQ delivery) in the bay area and can only share the same suspension point with you. No matter if I put it on comfort, auto, or sport it feels the same. There is another thread floating around about that issue across other owners. The suspension doesn't make me feel like I'm floating, but actually the opposite like I'm planted to the ground. This might be because I came from an SUV before that made me feel much more floaty.

The rear trunk liner and not being able to open the trunk with the button seems to be a major miss in Tesla and should be fixed.

For door handles to present, I also have to be very close to my vehicle for it to present via phone key. I almost have to just stand there for a few seconds for it to react.

That being said, I have other issues with my car that are serious enough for the SC to decide (appt this Fri!), so you're not alone with your car

Reactions: Jabbahop
1 sounds like a problem
2 usually people think it’s stuck in to firm
3 feels fine on mine
4 don’t carry the stupid fob, so don’t know
5 not running any apps, and that’s the first thing SC will say. Mine sleeping fine
6 that’s messed up, get it fixed
7 I’ve read others with same complaint. I see a slight shadow. Doesn’t bother me, just part of the design.

I’m 1 month 1000 miles.

1. likely related to ^ but in the opposite direction: car will not stay asleep for more than an hour at any given time. My Teslamate instance shows it constantly cycling between being asleep/awake every hour on the dot, causing a bunch of vampire drain. Turning off Teslamate resulted in the same behavior the next morning + equivalent battery drain, so I'm not expecting that Teslamate is the culprit here.
Interesting, I have the same issue on my 2017 MS. Some people reported no sleeping issue (backed up with data from TeslaFi/TeslaMate) on their 2021/2022 M3 so I thought that the issue has been fixed on newer cars.

The thread is Huge amount of wasted energy caused by undesirable sleep patterns using smart chargers if you're interested. There are screenshots from me and other people a few posts below, showing the symptoms (or lack of it).

1. Never noticed any sound on the yoke.
  2. Steering feedback seems similar to my prior S and other luxury cars I’ve driven. I mostly use Comfort. Maybe one of your tires is damaged or manufactured wrong? I’d try another S if you have a chance and compare. You can TM me if you want to compare it with my 2022 S (also in the Bay area).
  3. Air suspension doesn’t seem quite as tight as my prior S with the coil, but nothing I’d consider an issue.
  4. The trunk needs repair. Not right.
  5. Remove your ODB connection and see what happens. I did some extensive Vampire testing last month on my S and a variety of other Teslas. Here’s my report: Vampire Drain – TeslaTap
  6. Mine has no major gaps like yours. It’s not the smoothest transition, but I think yours is not right. I have no rectangular “hole” as I see in your picture.
  7. Haven’t noticed any dead spots in the headlight pattern. You might get two or three pairs of very dark sunglasses together and look directly at the headlight. There are multiple LEDs and perhaps one is dead? Also, do you have the new matrix headlights – they started in those built in March 2022. Mine is the prior style.

Reactions: vanhtu1987
That trunk picture looks nasty, I wouldn't accept a $100k car looking like that. I only paid like $40k for my used S a few years back and I wouldn't have accepted it if it looked like that when I went to pick it up.

Honestly I'm surprised by how bad the paint looks in that closeup too- I have less orange peel on the front bumper that I painted myself, and that's before sanding. And the metal itself looks wavy- almost as if it's the metal that is out of place, rather than the plastic.

1. Remove your ODB connection and see what happens. I did some extensive Vampire testing last month on my S and a variety of other Teslas. Here’s my report: Vampire Drain – TeslaTap
He used TeslaMate so wouldn't need an OBD device for the info.

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Model S might consume more power during sleeping than the 3 & Y, but it could be misleading since the 3 & Y are generally more efficient during driving. I'd expect that the power consumption of the 3 & Y (especially the Y LR) to be much lower.

It'd have been nice to quote the power consumption e.g., Watts instead, since miles/day depends on the EPA figure & battery capacity, which vary on each model.

My car uses 30W on average (0.72kWh/day), which equates to 2.16 miles/day (3 miles/kWh) or 2.88 miles/day (4 miles/kWh) which is quite close to your finding. The Y LR, on the other hand, consumes 1.2 miles of range/day. With its EPA figure of 330 miles of total range & 75kWh of usable energy, that indicates that it'd consume 11.3W on average, which is pretty good and is much better than the S.

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Model S might consume more power during sleeping than the 3 & Y, but it could be misleading since the 3 & Y are generally more efficient during driving. I'd expect that the power consumption of the 3 & Y (especially the Y LR) to be much lower.

It'd have been nice to quote the power consumption e.g., Watts instead, since miles/day depends on the EPA figure & battery capacity, which vary on each model.

My car uses 30W on average (0.72kWh/day), which equates to 2.16 miles/day (3 miles/kWh) or 2.88 miles/day (4 miles/kWh) which is quite close to your finding. The Y LR, on the other hand, consumes 1.2 miles of range/day. With its EPA figure of 330 miles of total range & 75kWh of usable energy, that indicates that it'd consume 11.3W on average, which is pretty good and is much better than the S.
Percentage wise S/X should be lower. Most of all the computer stuff that is on is exactly the same. But S/X has a much bigger battery. So it should be less percentage (less miles) lost. Same watt hours though.

My S refresh sleeps fine. As did my X and my 3.

Percentage wise S/X should be lower. Most of all the computer stuff that is on is exactly the same. But S/X has a much bigger battery. So it should be less percentage (less miles) lost. Same watt hours though.

My S refresh sleeps fine. As did my X and my 3.
The percentage could be less on the S/X compared to the 3, but the miles loss figure might not since they are based on the EPA, which depends on both the driving efficiency and the battery capacity: having a larger battery does not necessarily translate to more range, so quoting the range loss/day makes it a bit more difficult to compare between cars, although I could see that it makes it easier to understand intuitively.

My S also sleeps fine based on consumption figure from other people, but it looks pretty bad on the graph :) and this would only be brought to light if people bother to run a monitoring app (which then Tesla blames to be the cause).

Hi all!

So I've got my '22 LR S for ~a month now and wanted to check in with other owners to see if some of the things I've been running into are normal/things I need to get used to, or issues I should be pushing my SC to fix instead of letting them gaslight me like they've been doing, haha.
  1. Turning the yoke sounds kinda like semi-smooth paper being moved around, if that makes sense. It's not consistent/at every turn angle so my guess is that it's not working as intended (I would expect it to make no noise and just be smooth, like the 3's wheel or.... any other car). I brought it up to them and they "made adjustments" and they basically just changed where it makes the paper-y noise.
  2. Regardless of comfort/standard/sport steering, I get way more feedback from the road with the yoke than I'm accustomed to. Even if I have it on something like comfort, going on northbound 101 (for you Bay Area folks) in either of the left-hand lanes feels like I'm constantly fighting the car to keep the damn thing straight so it ends up feeling fairly unsafe/I start getting anxious.
  3. Car/suspension feel excessively floaty regardless of comfort vs sport suspension modes at all kinds of speeds, but usually in what seem to be fairly flat and straight roads and I end up feeling like I don't have as much control. This in combo with the above makes me scared to drive the damn thing sometimes. My guess is this is literally just how air suspension works and is something I just need to get used to lol.
  4. Can't open the trunk via button on the car, keyfob doesn't work at all, handles don't present whenever I go down to the car in the morning, solution is to tap one of the door handles so the car gets woken up.
  5. likely related to ^ but in the opposite direction: car will not stay asleep for more than an hour at any given time. My Teslamate instance shows it constantly cycling between being asleep/awake every hour on the dot, causing a bunch of vampire drain. Turning off Teslamate resulted in the same behavior the next morning + equivalent battery drain, so I'm not expecting that Teslamate is the culprit here.
  6. When the trunk is open, on the far left/right edges where the trunk liner meets the tail lights, there seem to be massive gaps between the plastic liner and the body of the car where you can easily find a bunch of dirt/debris piled up in there (and, case in point, last time I took my car to the SC they indeed left a bunch of garbage in there 🙃). Attached image is of the right-hand side.
  7. Is there a known dead spot in the headlights on like the left third/quarter of light? The headlights generally look fine (aside from the terrible blue shift at the top end), but there's like one notch of dead light that's to my left while I'm driving where, it's not a huge deal, but it's enough that I've occasionally needed to double-take small things in that area at night.
Please let me know if I'm being a big baby and I will shut my mouth and continue enjoying the car for everything else, haha.

1. Mine has that sound but it is consistent.
2. I definitely have a difference in my settings.
3. Mine is not floaty. I have the 21" wheels. Some of it is getting used to air but it should not feel like a boat.
4. There are known key fob issues. They gave a 2nd set and have all four programmed but they do not all work 100% - they said there is a software issue they are working through. Also, make sure batteries are strong.
5. If phone key or fobs are too close to the car, it will not sleep as well.
6. That plastic piece is off. Not hard to take it off and reinstall yourself. Try that and see if you can put it right.
7. I have the "old" lights and cannot answer.

Not being a baby at all. Just come with these things at an open mind and no drama. You paid a lot for this car so enjoy your way.

1. Mine has that sound but it is consistent.
2. I definitely have a difference in my settings.
3. Mine is not floaty. I have the 21" wheels. Some of it is getting used to air but it should not feel like a boat.
4. There are known key fob issues. They gave a 2nd set and have all four programmed but they do not all work 100% - they said there is a software issue they are working through. Also, make sure batteries are strong.
5. If phone key or fobs are too close to the car, it will not sleep as well.
6. That plastic piece is off. Not hard to take it off and reinstall yourself. Try that and see if you can put it right.
7. I have the "old" lights and cannot answer.

Not being a baby at all. Just come with these things at an open mind and no drama. You paid a lot for this car so enjoy your way.
On your #5 answer, I've tested the fob near the car (2 feet away), and after one minute if there is no activity, the car powers down. Haven't tested the phone though! Perhaps in earlier software, having the fob nearby kept the car awake. My test was with 2022.8.2 last month.

• Informative
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Will just comment on the suspension issue. I felt it was too floaty and almost no difference in the modes. They claimed it is normal at my service appointment. Their comment was to manually adjust it all the way from one extreme to another and you will see a difference. I'll just say compared to my other cars that had adjustable suspension, from soft to hard was a VERY noticeable difference. If there is even a 5% difference I'd be surprised.

Despite that the car still sticks very well when driving a bit more aggressively. Just takes a bit longer to settle than I'd like.

1. I am also having the weird clicking/paper noise coming from the yoke, the noise trigger whenever I am on uneven road.
2. Having the exact opposite. I am getting no feedback from whatever setting that I change.
3. Also exact opposite, feels like it stuck in sports mode, and almost as stiff as my old GSF with fixed suspension even in comfort mode.
5. Same issue. I lose about 1-2% charge per night, which is a bit insane IMO. That is nearly impossible to leave a car on long vacation.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Let's say you lose 4 miles/day (which is a bit high). At a starting charge of 400 miles, that would leave you with more than 3 months before the battery is depleted. Clearly, a bigger problem is if you have to drive 100 miles to the airport (and 100 miles back). So you'd only have 200 miles to work with or about 50 days leaving it uncharged. I don't think I've ever had a vacation of more than 14 days in my life (maybe I live a sheltered life!) ✈️

Thanks all for your responses, these are super helpful!!

Yeah mine on average right now is using anywhere from 50-120W(!) overnight which, while still small, is enough that if I ever left it at an airport or went on vacation for a couple weeks that would be enough to cause me some concern. 14%/week adds up over time if I'm paying for that electricity - and PG&E ain't getting any cheaper lol. Anecdotally, running it without Teslamate sees similar range drops overnight but I know Tesla will likely ignore that and blame me anyways.

For the suspension stuff, I've got the 21"s as well and it definitely feels like a boat (to the point where if I have it on AP I get nausea reminiscent of seasickness which ain't great), so I'll see if I can get the SC to check on that. I had a 3 SR+ before, so I'm used to standard coil suspension. I've had a couple friends ride in the car as well and all of them noted the suspension as well (with some of them being very familiar with air suspensions themselves), so good to know.

For the trunk not opening, I should clarify further: it's regardless of keyfob or phone key. The car's trunk button doesn't work, the handles don't present themselves (forgot to mention that), in addition to the keyfob buttons not working. The only "fix" for that is for me to touch the handles on the car to which it then springs to life.

For the lights, I have the new matrix-based lights
Note that I have the new matrix headlights and have those same dark spot notches and is known thing.
so thanks for pointing that out - it's a bit annoying but I'll live with it.

On your #5 answer, I've tested the fob near the car (2 feet away), and after one minute if there is no activity, the car powers down. Haven't tested the phone though! Perhaps in earlier software, having the fob nearby kept the car awake. My test was with 2022.8.2 last month.
Yeah mine is currently on 2022.12.3.1 but was having issues since the first SW I had unfortunately.

My car is now currently in the shop getting wrapped, but once I have it back next week (then the following SC appointment the week after I think), I'll see what they end up doing. I might try and change the appointment to a different SC, but we'll see. Would also definitely be down to compare S's for those in the Bay to see too, haha.

For additional reference on vampire drain:

1651194832624.png

And the last 7 days of vehicle states:
1651194876746.png

Yeah mine on average right now is using anywhere from 50-120W(!) overnight which, while still small, is enough that if I ever left it at an airport or went on vacation for a couple weeks that would be enough to cause me some concern. 14%/week adds up over time if I'm paying for that electricity - and PG&E ain't getting any cheaper lol. Anecdotally, running it without Teslamate sees similar range drops overnight but I know Tesla will likely ignore that and blame me anyways.

For additional reference on vampire drain:

View attachment 798611

And the last 7 days of vehicle states:
View attachment 798612
I noticed a few things:
1) The time your car spent before going back to sleep appears to be longer than mine, which is most typically 16 minutes. Here's mine for comparison:

1651195775179.png

TeslaMate shall keep the car awake for at least 3 minutes before stopping polling and allowing the car to go to sleep again (which takes 12 mins of being idle), so I do trust the 16 mins-wakeup periods.

2) Something quite odd is going on with the Vampire Drains reporting: there was no data reported from 23 to 25/04 at all, which would have been interesting to see, since it appears the car was not driven during that period.

It's also worth noting that depending on outside temperature, the car would need to expend some energy to keep the HV battery in the right temperature range. 80W is on the high side for me but not too uncommon. Here's mine:

1651196517323.png

I think the 04/23 - 04/25 was when I turned teslamate off to see if vampire drain was any different iirc, so that's likely why (though, if that's the case, I'm not sure why the state data is still there? now I'm starting to question when I turned it off)

Temp-wise it hasn't gotten below 50F/10C here + it's garage-kept, but yeah under any other circumstances I'd expect that drain to be higher to account for that. But interesting that yours is having the same regular wakeup intervals when, at least compared to my previous 3, it's supposed to be a solid bar of sleep for the entire night for the most part.