TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Semi takes its first business trip

Discussion in 'Semi' started by domenick, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Hey great to hear it's made it's first run with cargo. Hope it was loaded with Model 3 batteries!

2. kevinof

kevinof Member

here you go

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

No, that was an earlier spy shot I think. In particular the video you posted has no trailer.

• Like x 1
  4. Brando

Brando Active Member

#24 Brando, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Distractors would try to claim Roadster was seat of the pants - BUT that car had to pass all auto regulations before they could sell any significant number.

Roadster had classical auto development steps - prototype "mule" to show investors to get more money then 10 EP = Engineering Prototypes to test parts/designs and next were VP = Validation Prototypes to validate the factory building methods/equipment. Once those pass test the VP cars can be sold (not sure if any were) and then actual production can begin.

Marc's presentation of Tesla founding get more succinct and this is about 30 min. Well worth watching.

Elon/Tesla invites other OEMs to join in SuperCharger network - no takers.
    Elon/Tesla opens all patents - not sure if anyone is using - big secret??
    You know Madison Ave, car mags can hardly wait to (my bias, extort) get their share of Tesla revenues.
    And Wall Street want to make money - and they make money on IPO, trades and shorts so volatility is their goal, get the churn going. Elon knows some of this game - while on Honeymoon he was "fired as CEO of PayPal so others could cash out - Elon's goal to disrupt banking was gone, but lucky for the rest of us this allowed startup of SpaceX and investing into Tesla Motors and (see above video for some details).

IF you are not a psychopath, how can you not get behind Elon??
    Money/profits are needed to keep the company going - profits are required but not sufficient for Elon. Fair dealing and not maximizing profits over all other consideration is not Elon. Look how cheap he sells SpaceX launches compared to everyone else.

anyway, enough of my ramblings
    3 fine places to sell batteries - autos, storage, SEMI trucks - gives some flexibility - go Elon, go.

5. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Happened to come along the Tesla Semi today. Loaded full of batteries! They didn't want me to take any pictures of the charging equipment, but very cool to see the inaugural run!

Attached Files:

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 2
  6. Blup85

Blup85 Member

They used the coolest extension cord ever :). Looks like it can be paired with two Superchargers. Looked like a homemade open evse box :)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Cosmacelf

So they were going from the Gigafactory to Fremont, and they had to Supercharge on the way. Interesting. So much for that 500 mile range. Where did you find them?

8. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Rocklin. They were apparently the smaller battery version. Tesla Tech told me they were basically testing after a haul.

• Informative x 2
  9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Isn't the black one without the top thingy the 300 mile model?

10. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

How do you know they were loaded with batteries? Not challenging, just asking.

11. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Just what they told me.

• Informative x 1
  12. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Tech told me they were both the 300 mile range versions.

Just in conversation with the Tech. Very nice guys. I wish I could post the pictures of the plug in, but I was asked to delete them since they are still in testing.

I was there getting a tail light fixed and picking up a p85d loaner, which was blocked in a little at the supercharger but i didn't mind.
    What I found really cool was how excited the local staff was to see it. They apparently didn't know anything about it, or had seen it in person but they were just as excited to see it and grab photos of it as I was.
    All I could think was, next few years are going to be very different.. :) in transportation of goods and services..

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 4
    • Love x 2
  13. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

From Elon's Intragram post that Bonnie referenced in post #8.

14. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Over on the semi thread, we figured that the 300 mile version would need to recharge in Sacramento to make it over Donner Pass on the way to Sparks if fully loaded (220kWh, maybe 140 mile effective range loss at the peak of 7,200+ ft). The Fremont bound trip could probably do it without charging, but why risk it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. Cosmacelf

This lends support to the theory that Tesla needs a newer generation of battery to get 500 mile range. It isn’t proof, just evidence that might point to that theory.

• Like x 1
  16. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Or they want to stress the batteries more and get more cycles on them faster. (and maybe save 2170 capacity for other things). Based on volume and current 2170 specification knowledge, they can fit 800kWh in the semi which gives 500 miles range at 1.6kWh/ mile (a phyics based estimation)

• Like x 3
  17. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

That's what I was thinking. These are important tests for them. They need to know what it's like to charge the battery after using it. They can simulate and mule it, but this is also a real world test, so they want to make sure.

18. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Wouldn't want to have my car paired to those Superchargers with those big guys charging! Was wondering what kind of charging setup they would have before their intended one is available.

Thanks for reporting on this and for the photos.

19. Cosmacelf

I never said Tesla had ever released a new vehicle by the seat of their pants. The semi isn’t a new vehicle yet, they are years away from production.

By the way, what would you call charging up a semi from two Superchargers with equipment that will never be turned into a production product (the jury rigged combo box)?

I didn’t mean anything perorative when I said seat of the pants. To me it means they have a fast iterative design-engineering cycle.

• Like x 1
  20. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

On youtube:

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1