Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi takes its first business trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon:
"First production cargo trip of the Tesla Semi heavy duty truck, carrying battery packs from the Gigafactory in the Nevada mountains to the car factory in California.”

Not first cargo trip. First PRODUCTION cargo trip. There is no way that truck hasn't been on the road for quite awhile already. Every vehicle Tesla has ever produced ran on the roads in a mule.
Distractors would try to claim Roadster was seat of the pants - BUT that car had to pass all auto regulations before they could sell any significant number.

Roadster had classical auto development steps - prototype "mule" to show investors to get more money then 10 EP = Engineering Prototypes to test parts/designs and next were VP = Validation Prototypes to validate the factory building methods/equipment. Once those pass test the VP cars can be sold (not sure if any were) and then actual production can begin.

Marc's presentation of Tesla founding get more succinct and this is about 30 min. Well worth watching.

Elon/Tesla invites other OEMs to join in SuperCharger network - no takers.
Elon/Tesla opens all patents - not sure if anyone is using - big secret??
You know Madison Ave, car mags can hardly wait to (my bias, extort) get their share of Tesla revenues.
And Wall Street want to make money - and they make money on IPO, trades and shorts so volatility is their goal, get the churn going. Elon knows some of this game - while on Honeymoon he was "fired as CEO of PayPal so others could cash out - Elon's goal to disrupt banking was gone, but lucky for the rest of us this allowed startup of SpaceX and investing into Tesla Motors and (see above video for some details).

IF you are not a psychopath, how can you not get behind Elon??
Money/profits are needed to keep the company going - profits are required but not sufficient for Elon. Fair dealing and not maximizing profits over all other consideration is not Elon. Look how cheap he sells SpaceX launches compared to everyone else.

anyway, enough of my ramblings
3 fine places to sell batteries - autos, storage, SEMI trucks - gives some flexibility - go Elon, go.

Last edited:
Happened to come along the Tesla Semi today. Loaded full of batteries! They didn't want me to take any pictures of the charging equipment, but very cool to see the inaugural run!

Attachments

• 20180308_134938.jpg
    20180308_134938.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 20180308_134858.jpg
    20180308_134858.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 102
Isn't the black one without the top thingy the 300 mile model?

Tech told me they were both the 300 mile range versions.

How do you know they were loaded with batteries? Not challenging, just asking.
Just in conversation with the Tech. Very nice guys. I wish I could post the pictures of the plug in, but I was asked to delete them since they are still in testing.

I was there getting a tail light fixed and picking up a p85d loaner, which was blocked in a little at the supercharger but i didn't mind.
What I found really cool was how excited the local staff was to see it. They apparently didn't know anything about it, or had seen it in person but they were just as excited to see it and grab photos of it as I was.
All I could think was, next few years are going to be very different.. :) in transportation of goods and services..

Tech told me they were both the 300 mile range versions.

Just in conversation with the Tech. Very nice guys. I wish I could post the pictures of the plug in, but I was asked to delete them since they are still in testing.

I was there getting a tail light fixed and picking up a p85d loaner, which was blocked in a little at the supercharger but i didn't mind.
What I found really cool was how excited the local staff was to see it. They apparently didn't know anything about it, or had seen it in person but they were just as excited to see it and grab photos of it as I was.
All I could think was, next few years are going to be very different.. :) in transportation of goods and services..

Over on the semi thread, we figured that the 300 mile version would need to recharge in Sacramento to make it over Donner Pass on the way to Sparks if fully loaded (220kWh, maybe 140 mile effective range loss at the peak of 7,200+ ft). The Fremont bound trip could probably do it without charging, but why risk it.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and scaesare
This lends support to the theory that Tesla needs a newer generation of battery to get 500 mile range. It isn’t proof, just evidence that might point to that theory.

Or they want to stress the batteries more and get more cycles on them faster. (and maybe save 2170 capacity for other things). Based on volume and current 2170 specification knowledge, they can fit 800kWh in the semi which gives 500 miles range at 1.6kWh/ mile (a phyics based estimation)

They used the coolest extension cord ever :). Looks like it can be paired with two Superchargers. Looked like a homemade open evse box :)

Wouldn't want to have my car paired to those Superchargers with those big guys charging! Was wondering what kind of charging setup they would have before their intended one is available.

Thanks for reporting on this and for the photos.

They've never released a new vehicle 'by the seat of their pants'. There has always been a mule out testing.

Why would Elon qualify his statement by stating it was the first production?

Do you really believe that the first long distance load test would be with a recognizable cab? If the test failed, the press would be all over that. If there wasn't a mule out testing, why did major trucking companies place orders right at the reveal? For the kind of money those guys were spending, they would have needed data. Evidence. Of course that testing has been done, probably have been running tests for many months. It would make sense for them to have been running batteries between the Gigafactory and Fremont in a mule. They needed those batteries transported. They needed to test the semi.

I never said Tesla had ever released a new vehicle by the seat of their pants. The semi isn’t a new vehicle yet, they are years away from production.

By the way, what would you call charging up a semi from two Superchargers with equipment that will never be turned into a production product (the jury rigged combo box)?

I didn’t mean anything perorative when I said seat of the pants. To me it means they have a fast iterative design-engineering cycle.

Reactions: wipster