Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi takes its first business trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And another from the same youtube guy. Follows them to the freeway:

I wonder how many people who drove with them on the highway knew what they were seeing. The cabs sure look different from anything else out there so wonder if it had people scratching their heads.
My guess: Kids not using their computer and truck drivers watch trucks. Everyone else just drives (or uses computer or reads).

The Volt blocked it, but I rewatched it, trying to time in my mind how fast the semi's went onto the freeway after the right turn. After they took their right turn, they easily outpaced the Volt, and the Tesla had to really punch it to catch up. You can see part of the semi acceleration, and it is quick. The Semi's got to their max legal speed very quickly. I wonder how good their autopilot is.

I can just imagine the Tesla Semi's on a commute mountain confusing all the poor Priuses. The Priuses would pull out into the passing lane, and be going slower than the Tesla Semi's, and other people would go to the right of the Priuses then get in front of the Priuses and to the left of the Semi's, to pass. The Priuses would sit there baffled.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Troy916 and ccutrer
I never said Tesla had ever released a new vehicle by the seat of their pants. The semi isn’t a new vehicle yet, they are years away from production.

By the way, what would you call charging up a semi from two Superchargers with equipment that will never be turned into a production product (the jury rigged combo box)?

I didn’t mean anything perorative when I said seat of the pants. To me it means they have a fast iterative design-engineering cycle.
Didn't say you said that :). You said Tesla frequently does things that way, I responded by saying 'but not stuff like this'.

I'm not sure why you're so sure Tesla hasn't had a mule or two out on the road with loads already. Just because someone on reddit parsed the sentence in an odd way, doesn't make them right ... Historically, Tesla has run mules. There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't have already tested hauling, with a mule, before press cameras would be around. That's just common sense.

(And I think most engineers would not use 'seat of their pants' to describe a fast iterative design cycle. That's terminology that usually means 'didn't perform proper diligence' and not associated with good engineering practice. Agile, yes. Seat of your pants? Nope.

As far as the charging extension cord, I'd call that something they probably put together for charging the mules, using it as a proof of principle, & will get around to a production version soon enough.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if they had a mule or if they just took a huge risk and hauled a large load for the very first time this week. I was just pointing out the (what seems to me, given Tesla history) the obvious. You and reddit are free to disagree. And we'll probably never know.

Actually both of them have normal side mirrors attached right now. Cameras might not be set up and working yet. Plenty to test out in the meantime.

Black had the normal mirrors at the reveal. Federal vehicle requiments don't currently allow cameras instead. (Technically, I think the side mirrors can fold in while the truck is moving forward. Law is a little ambiguous)

From the looks of it I suspect the white Great Dane trailer (and kind of indicated by the Leasing name on the side) was leased by Tesla to help transport the batteries using this cab. Maybe to test it with third party equipment? Given the looks of the other trailer however it looks like it could be a Tesla trailer, kind of matches the cab and sleek in design but don't think I've heard about them designing more than the cabs right now but certainly within the realm of possibility I guess.

Pretty sure the silver trailer is similar to the one that was used in the Semi Reveal if not the same. The metal trim at the top and bottom sides of the trailer look to be the same with the exception that this road version one now has red reflectors all along the bottom edge. Probably a very smart safety addition for traffic approaching perpendicular to the truck.

Last edited:
Didn't say you said that :). You said Tesla frequently does things that way, I responded by saying 'but not stuff like this'.

I'm not sure why you're so sure Tesla hasn't had a mule or two out on the road with loads already. Just because someone on reddit parsed the sentence in an odd way, doesn't make them right ... Historically, Tesla has run mules. There is absolutely no reason they wouldn't have already tested hauling, with a mule, before press cameras would be around. That's just common sense.

(And I think most engineers would not use 'seat of their pants' to describe a fast iterative design cycle. That's terminology that usually means 'didn't perform proper diligence' and not associated with good engineering practice. Agile, yes. Seat of your pants? Nope.

As far as the charging extension cord, I'd call that something they probably put together for charging the mules, using it as a proof of principle, & will get around to a production version soon enough.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter if they had a mule or if they just took a huge risk and hauled a large load for the very first time this week. I was just pointing out the (what seems to me, given Tesla history) the obvious. You and reddit are free to disagree. And we'll probably never know.

Sigh.

I originally said: "While people have seen the semi around town, it hadn’t been sighted (afaik) pulling a load. This could indeed be the first or one of the very first true long distance load tests.".

When I wrote that I was referring to these two semi truck cabs we have seen. Only to these two. I think my statement is correct in that we hadn't seen either of these cabs pulling a load on the road ("around town") before Elon's instagram post.

You then disagree with me by postulating that Tesla probably would have had different mules pulling loads before. They very well may have, but that isn't what I wrote or meant. I didn't say anything about other cabs, mules or not.

In a later post you say "I'm not sure why you're so sure Tesla hasn't had a mule or two out on the road with loads already.". Just to be clear, I have no idea, nor opinion, on whether or not Tesla has had a semi mule.

Why did the trailer numbers change during the ride? Start with P5190683 and end with P4180189 ?

neuebitmap2.jpg.html
neuebitmap2.jpg | picload.org
neuebitmap3.jpg.html
neuebitmap3.jpg | picload.org
neuebitmap.jpg.html
neuebitmap.jpg | picload.org

Attachments

• Neue Bitmap (2).jpg
    Neue Bitmap (2).jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Neue Bitmap (3).jpg
    Neue Bitmap (3).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Neue Bitmap.jpg
    Neue Bitmap.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and GoTslaGo
Why did the trailer numbers change during the ride? Start with P5190683 and end with P4180189 ?

neuebitmap2.jpg.html
neuebitmap2.jpg | picload.org
neuebitmap3.jpg.html
neuebitmap3.jpg | picload.org
neuebitmap.jpg.html
neuebitmap.jpg | picload.org

Nice catch. The initial pictures were taken when the trailers were leaving the Gigafactory. Presumably the picture with the new trailer number was taken after it had dropped off the trailer at Fremont, and now it is taking a new trailer (and load?) back to the Gigafactory. It would take a long time to unload a trailer full of battery packs, so it makes sense to drop off the trailer and grab a new one that is ready to go back the other way.

Reactions: Ulmo and MP3Mike
Sigh.

I originally said: "While people have seen the semi around town, it hadn’t been sighted (afaik) pulling a load. This could indeed be the first or one of the very first true long distance load tests.".

When I wrote that I was referring to these two semi truck cabs we have seen. Only to these two. I think my statement is correct in that we hadn't seen either of these cabs pulling a load on the road ("around town") before Elon's instagram post.

You then disagree with me by postulating that Tesla probably would have had different mules pulling loads before. They very well may have, but that isn't what I wrote or meant. I didn't say anything about other cabs, mules or not.

In a later post you say "I'm not sure why you're so sure Tesla hasn't had a mule or two out on the road with loads already.". Just to be clear, I have no idea, nor opinion, on whether or not Tesla has had a semi mule.
Oh c'mon. No need for the big sigh. :)

If you go back to my first post in this thread (#8), I wasn't responding to you. I was just posting MY opinion. I'm going to let this go. I disagree with the majority of what you wrote here, but it's late, no one cares, I made my point when I first posted in this thread and I should have just not responded to you.

Reactions: Ulmo
Nice catch. The initial pictures were taken when the trailers were leaving the Gigafactory. Presumably the picture with the new trailer number was taken after it had dropped off the trailer at Fremont, and now it is taking a new trailer (and load?) back to the Gigafactory. It would take a long time to unload a trailer full of battery packs, so it makes sense to drop off the trailer and grab a new one that is ready to go back the other way.

The video shows the trucks driving west bound, so either they were on their second run or they switched trailers, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

When I spoke to the driver in Rocklin, he mentioned going "back", so I I took it that he meant back to the gigafactory after dropping off at Fremont.
I didn't feel like interogating him, they were pretty busy checking stuff out on linked up laptops and what not.
He was very clear about BOTH trucks being the smaller battery versions though.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and scaesare
Elon posted his tweet on the 7th that they were leaving the Gigafactory and Blup85's photos and these subsequent videos were seen on the 8th so suspect it was a second run. I agree about the unloading time and leaving trailors behind for that. That would make a lot of batteries going to the Factory.

Just read your post @Blup85. Thanks for the additional clarification!

Reactions: Ulmo