Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Semi takes its first business trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're right, that's why I wonder if Tesla will either make trailers or figure out a way to reconfigure existing trailers with regen brakes. Considerable benefits to be had in electricity generation and also trailer control in slippery situations I would think.

It isn't worth the expense. Most semis will never pull the same trailer more than a handful of times, so it would require adding regenerative braking to all trailers in order to really be effective. The system would also be useless when those trailers are getting pulled by diesel trucks, which means extra dead weight that eats into your cargo carrying capacity. Finally, most trailers just sit around for extended periods of time when being loaded and unloaded, which isn't a good use of the regenerative braking equipment.

Regenerative braking will be at least as powerful as current diesel engine braking, so I'm just not seeing a cost benefit to making the trailers more complex.

Reactions: mongo and MP3Mike
It isn't worth the expense. Most semis will never pull the same trailer more than a handful of times, so it would require adding regenerative braking to all trailers in order to really be effective. The system would also be useless when those trailers are getting pulled by diesel trucks, which means extra dead weight that eats into your cargo carrying capacity. Finally, most trailers just sit around for extended periods of time when being loaded and unloaded, which isn't a good use of the regenerative braking equipment.

Regenerative braking will be at least as powerful as current diesel engine braking, so I'm just not seeing a cost benefit to making the trailers more complex.
For independents I agree with you, but for organizations such as Walmart or FedEx, where the whole fleet could be converted, and you're running point to point, I think it would definitely be worthwhile. And some solar panels would be nice as well.

For independents I agree with you, but for organizations such as Walmart or FedEx, where the whole fleet could be converted, and you're running point to point, I think it would definitely be worthwhile. And some solar panels would be nice as well.

For a diesel tractor it helps, but I'm not seeing an ROI for electric. The times the trailer regen helps are rare. The only thing you are saving is brake pads (quick search shows <$1,000 to replace and >100k mile life). The number of trailers is greater than the number of tractors (utilization factor). Regen units add incremental maintenance cost on top of purchase price.

Reactions: Big Earl
I don't get angrier, I just get more confused...
Most of the time when that happens to me, I reread the thread and realize we are not talking about the same thing. Often I misread or misquoted.
Good peeps to hash things out with.
Using the conversation (direct message) feature is handy for off-thread meeting of the minds/ addressing typos/units.

Reactions: wipster and e-FTW
I’ll be happy if we get some safe (don’t drive and video grip) coverage from someone bored who follows it ;)
The safe part (don’t drive and video grip) can be a thing of the past. Now you can install all kind of video cameras in your vehicle for around USD 150.00 (medium price range) and take all the experience in a safe manner.

Also, with some twist of the settings, some cameras will allow streaming "live" and with a good Wi-Fi service, the whole action can be transmitted live with Facebook or many other platforms available today.

Good hunting fellas!

Tesla Semi spotted near St Louis MO, at St Charles Supercharger by @realKyleFeller

Attachments

• 2F765172-A8E5-499F-9A6F-437FA5D27175.png
    2F765172-A8E5-499F-9A6F-437FA5D27175.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
I am honestly surprised pics of these things on the highway aren't showing up everywhere... assuming that it drove that 2,000 miles and wasn't on a trailer under a tarp.

So... assuming it DID drive... what do you suppose the unloaded range is? We know it's a "300" mile truck. Does it do 2X that unloaded? 3X?

Let's say it can do 2.5X (750 miles) sans trailer... that's only 2 supercharging stops... but long ones...probably 4-6 hours?

I am honestly surprised pics of these things on the highway aren't showing up everywhere... assuming that it drove that 2,000 miles and wasn't on a trailer under a tarp.

So... assuming it DID drive... what do you suppose the unloaded range is? We know it's a "300" mile truck. Does it do 2X that unloaded? 3X?

Let's say it can do 2.5X (750 miles) sans trailer... that's only 2 supercharging stops... but long ones...probably 4-6 hours?

My calcs said power usage was half areo half rolling. If tractor section is 20k, then 8/5*300 = 480 mile range.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
My calcs said power usage was half areo half rolling. If tractor section is 20k, then 8/5*300 = 480 mile range.

OK, substantially less then...under 2X

Although the frontal profile remains the same, I assume there's some non-inconsequential drag associated with the trailer as well. Any thoughts on to what that factor might be?

If it's a 500 mile range unloaded, then that's likely 4 supercharging stops en-route... although if I uses Tesla's trip planner and select a 75KW car w/ roughly half that range leaving from the GF, it suggests 16 stops... so maybe more like 6-8 for the Semi?:
semiroute.png

OK, substantially less then...under 2X

Although the frontal profile remains the same, I assume there's some non-inconsequential drag associated with the trailer as well. Any thoughts on to what that factor might be?

If it's a 500 mile range unloaded, then that's likely 4 supercharging stops en-route... although if I uses Tesla's trip planner and select a 75KW car w/ roughly half that range leaving from the GF, it suggests 16 stops... so maybe more like 6-8 for the Semi?:
View attachment 286367

My original aero calcs were only based on tractor frontal. No idea what the trailer factor is.:oops: