Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sen. Kerry Grills AEI's Ken Green Over Climate Bill (Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edit: Just noticed he also got DNA helix on his tie. Has anyone ever seen a credible scientist dress like that?
Sadly, yes...
but they don't often talk like that.

Wonder what Dr. Green is a doctor of.
1074-shakehead.gif

Wonder what Dr. Green is a doctor of.
1074-shakehead.gif

He sure holds some interesting views: people must be moved from disaster-prone areas, electricity markets deregulated, water supply privatized ... oh my.
As to background, I am a biologist and environmental scientist by training, an economist by exposure, and a policy analyst by vocation: I've spent the last 15 years analyzing environmental policy in think tanks in the U.S. and Canada.
Finally, my beliefs are based on reading the scientific literature as well as the IPCC climate science reports, and I believe that while greenhouse gases do retain heat in the atmosphere (making Earth habitable), the heat-retention capability of additional anthropogenic greenhouse gases is modest. I do not believe in predictive climate models, or most other forms of forecasting other than simple extrapolation for very modest periods of time.

The title of this list says: "Supporting Skeptism". It is always good to be skeptical, that argument goes both ways. There is not actually any need to provide additional reasons to be skeptical. One should be so in the first place.

And the first link in that list I opened does nothing but make the point that it is difficult to make climate predictions. So would that mean that if we were blind, we didn't have to be cautious? Apparently the attitude is that in spite of this happening (for example) :

A Warming Arctic: Greenland's Ice Sheet Melting Faster than Ever - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
("Greenland's Ice Sheet Melting Faster than Ever")

we should wait and see until something is proven beyond any doubt, beyond any reason to be skeptical? Again, there are always reasons to be skeptical, so then it will be too late. Because that will never happen.

The second link I opened (actually the first in the list) spends its time making points like this:

Data from numerous sites give the impression that the Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was a real climatic episode (see reviews in Loehle, 2006; Soon and Baliunas, 2003 and below), but reconstructions from tree-ring data do not show this episode very well.

and then

Until these and other issues are resolved, it is reasonable to ask whether a reconstruction without tree ring data might produce a different result than those produced in past studies.

That's even a hypothetical.

Although 2 out of 450 is obviously a small sample, so far it doesn't seem that Sen. Kerry missed anything actually relevant to politicians who need to decide what to do now. Perhaps both articles can make contributions to the scientific study. Perhaps. However, neither of them appears to provide an even remotely substantial reason against the assertion that CO2 reduction is the right thing to do to keep a climate change from happening, or to show that this would not be necessary. The best I can tell, the scientific data is now such that the burden of proof goes to those who, for some reason, do not want us to reduce CO2 (if that is the intention?). (And even if, smog and air pollution would be obvious and obviously significantly harmful.)

Last edited:
From the link that AntronX provided is this link:

...Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study...
Scientists and economists have been offered $10,000 each by a lobby group funded by one of the world's largest oil companies to undermine a major climate change report due to be published today.
Letters sent by the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), an ExxonMobil-funded thinktank with close links to the Bush administration, offered the payments for articles that emphasise the shortcomings of a report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)...

Yea, OK

Here is some stuff from that blog:
* The Anti "Man-Made" Global Warming Resource
* The Anti "Green" Energy Resource
* The Anti Marijuana Resource
* The Anti Nationalized Health Care Resource
* Debunking 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
* Firefox Myths

Seriously Poptech, take a hike.

And with all these links to anti-resources, the subtitle of the page is "Impartial Analysis of Popular Trends and Technology".