Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940 - contact your representatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that the TxDMV has kind of "grandfathered in" Tesla even though one might argue they are in technical violation of existing law. One would think this would become more solidified with more owners (and hopefully more service centers) in the future.

It’s a lot harder to disenfranchise voters than to have outlawed it in the first place.
The existing language is ambiguous and all parties are fearful of taking it to court, as it's not obvious how that would turn out.

I anticipate the House-side language for HB2940 will be amended by committee to match the Senate-side.

That WAS worth listening to. Yeah, it was interesting that Rivian was there and seemed to have a pretty cordial relationship with Hancock. The testimony from Tesla was basically "You fixed the problem. Thanks". Good job to all the Tesla owners that were there.
Senator Hancock remains the only Texas Senator to sponsor pro-Tesla legislation *and* get it to committee hearing, so that's saying quite a bit.

Reactions: arcus and SpiceWare
Senator Hancock remains the only Texas Senator to sponsor pro-Tesla legislation *and* get it to committee hearing, so that's saying quite a bit.
Do you happen to know what bill it was? For that matter, does anyone know the specific bills that have been drafted (not necessarily passed) in order to support or hinder Tesla? I'm curious about who's doing what and what language was used and what the objections have been.

Do you happen to know what bill it was? For that matter, does anyone know the specific bills that have been drafted (not necessarily passed) in order to support or hinder Tesla? I'm curious about who's doing what and what language was used and what the objections have been.
You can find the bill numbers discussed in posts in the Texas thread here in 2013, 2015, and 2017. Search or just scroll through the thread titles. Then you can look up the text and outcome of those bills from previous sessions on TLO just as you would bills from the current session. The committee hearing videos are archived too but I think they're too painful to watch, with the legislators asking hostile questions to Tesla witnesses and fawning all over the dealers from their districts.

There is a good one from 2013 though where Elon testified and said something to the effect of “If supporting little league is a requirement for selling cars in Texas, tell me how much it costs and where to send the check”.

Last edited:
Since Tesla can't sell cars in Texas, and therefore can't do the titling and other paperwork, I still have not paid the registration fees nor sales taxes on my Model 3s purchased in Feb and Mar. The Tax Office won't take Mfrs. Certs other than in person. Gov. Abbott has granted a 60 day grace period to start as soon as the current foolishness is over.

So I am earning interest on the funds Texas should have had months ago.

On a recent trip to New Orleans, I was stopped for the out of date Dealer Tag (Which I laminated and sized to that of a license plate). I showed the ossifer copies of the Mfr Cert and Bill of sale, and a copy of the Gov's Pronunciamento, he laughed and then spent another 20 minutes asking questions about the Tesla.
May have made a convert. Hope so, Louisiana is not a very Tesla Friendly state, alas. No Superchargers in New Orleans, but the Holiday Inn Causeway Blvd has 4 chargers. Free to use if you ask. Nice folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: wreighven
Interesting post @drdumont. I was able to register and pay my taxes on my X (took delivery mid-March) some time in June by going to the Collin County Tax Assessor's office in Frisco (was able to schedule an appointment). Got my plates then and there. Is that option not available where you live? I see by your location you're "near" me.

Last edited:
@ wreighven:
Indeed. Alas, I am in Coppell, Dallas County. The Dallas County Tax Assessor's office immediately set Condition Panic Aboard Ship and closed everything about the time I took delivery of the 2nd Model 3, before I got the paperwork package.
As a matter of fact, they delivered EV The Blue Bunny to the door, the guy was - no kidding - wearing scrubs, a face shield, and holding a plastic wrapped IPad, My wife had to sign with a proffered plastic wrapped stylus. He then handed me two Tesla cards wrapped in plastic, and took off. The steering wheel was plastic wrapped, and he had sprayed and wiped the screen and elsewhere.
Note: They really dropped the ball, they could have used those paper strips I used to find on the toilet seats every time I checked in to lodging. "Sanitized for Your Protection".
The Collin County folks took a much more conservative stand, didn't panic, and now have your tax dollars.
I am selling EV The Good Ship Venus in order to purchase a Model 3 Long Range etc, and white interior. So whoever purchases mine will get a "New" car, with the Manufacturers' Cert signed over, rather than a title.
P.S. - I still work every day downtown, have made a couple of out of state trips and am Covid Free. A little common sense and caution is indicated here.

Reactions: wreighven
@ wreighven:
Indeed. Alas, I am in Coppell, Dallas County. The Dallas County Tax Assessor's office immediately set Condition Panic Aboard Ship and closed everything about the time I took delivery of the 2nd Model 3, before I got the paperwork package.
As a matter of fact, they delivered EV The Blue Bunny to the door, the guy was - no kidding - wearing scrubs, a face shield, and holding a plastic wrapped IPad, My wife had to sign with a proffered plastic wrapped stylus. He then handed me two Tesla cards wrapped in plastic, and took off. The steering wheel was plastic wrapped, and he had sprayed and wiped the screen and elsewhere.
Note: They really dropped the ball, they could have used those paper strips I used to find on the toilet seats every time I checked in to lodging. "Sanitized for Your Protection".
The Collin County folks took a much more conservative stand, didn't panic, and now have your tax dollars.
I am selling EV The Good Ship Venus in order to purchase a Model 3 Long Range etc, and white interior. So whoever purchases mine will get a "New" car, with the Manufacturers' Cert signed over, rather than a title.
P.S. - I still work every day downtown, have made a couple of out of state trips and am Covid Free. A little common sense and caution is indicated here.

Dallas County is open now though, right? I'm just curious if i need to get over there within 30 days of delivery or I can hold off as well.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong and they're closed and I see the registration waiver. So I guess I'll wait till I absolutely must go in as well.

Dallas County is open now though, right? I'm just curious if i need to get over there within 30 days of delivery or I can hold off as well.

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong and they're closed and I see the registration waiver. So I guess I'll wait till I absolutely must go in as well.

Put the tax money into the stock market. Buy Tesla stock. By the time this crap is over and you can pay the taxes you probably can buy another Tesla with the profits.

Reactions: KRG21