Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940 - contact your representatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In response to this, I would love to see Tesla structure the Texas sale so that the actual sale is to a Montana LLC, as created by one of the Montana law firms that creates a Montana LLC for the purposes of registering vehicles. In this way, Texas purchasers don't pay a dime in Texas sales tax. When Texas screams like a baby about losing out on sales tax Tesla can respond that if only they could sell in Texas then they'd stop this practice and let Texas have the sales tax.

(Chances are, though, Texas would not respond by allowing Tesla direct sales but by somehow preventing vehicles registered to out of state companies from operating in Texas for more than a brief period of time or some such.)

Reactions: byeLT4
Some things to know about Sen. Kelly Hancock. He was recently reelected to his District 9 Senate seat. District 9 is a district in transition. Sen. Hancock won this district the first time with 58% of the vote. Last election he only got 54% and by 2022 when he is up for reelection the district will be up for grabs and will probably be redrawn in such a way as to pack it with Democrats to protect neighboring GOP seats. In other words, Sen. Kelly is not going to serve another term and so is probably thinking "long term" for his future. He is NOT going to be receptive to logic or reason. He is preparing for life after politics and will act accordingly.

Oh, also, Sen. Hancock was named one of the "Worst Legislators" in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine in 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
(Chances are, though, Texas would not respond by allowing Tesla direct sales but by somehow preventing vehicles registered to out of state companies from operating in Texas for more than a brief period of time or some such.)

It's already required to license a car operated in Texas more than a brief time in Texas. The Montana game isn't likely to work.

They could however register in CA first and then Texas gets nothing. However it does cost more this way - a few percent.

Some things to know about Sen. Kelly Hancock. He was recently reelected to his District 9 Senate seat. District 9 is a district in transition. Sen. Hancock won this district the first time with 58% of the vote. Last election he only got 54% and by 2022 when he is up for reelection the district will be up for grabs and will probably be redrawn in such a way as to pack it with Democrats to protect neighboring GOP seats. In other words, Sen. Kelly is not going to serve another term and so is probably thinking "long term" for his future. He is NOT going to be receptive to logic or reason. He is preparing for life after politics and will act accordingly.

Oh, also, Sen. Hancock was named one of the "Worst Legislators" in Texas by Texas Monthly magazine in 2017.
Let me guess. Future headline:

Kelly Hancock Chevy-Ford. Opening soon!

I searched through the donors up through $2500 and found that
kelly hancock took
  • $15K from John Eagle of John Eagle Auto Group
  • $10K from GM
  • $7500 from TADA
  • $6500 from Gulf States Toyota
  • $6000 from Koch
  • $5200 from Sam H. Pack (of Sam Pack Auto Group)
  • $5000 from Charles W. Gilchrist, NADA vice chair and president of Gilchrist Automotive
  • $5000 from Jeffrey C. Rachor of MSD Automotive Partners (first jeffrey c. rachor hit on google is wikileaks, amusingly)
  • $2500 from Drew Campbell retired as president of the New Car Dealers Association of Metropolitan Dallas after a 25-year tenure.
  • $2500 from Lee Chapman, President, Dallas Fort Worth Metropolitan New Car Dealers Association
  • $2500 from Tony Pack, secretary, Sam Pack Automotive Group
$67,700 total, and that's just the donors over $2000 that I could identify, specifically related to automotive dealerships (left Koch in there because they have a long-standing and well known hatred of Tesla and Musk).

Also, quite a few of the names I searched for using google came up with obituaries. I dunno if it's just a coincidence or someone willed money to campaigns or there's something funny going on.

Last edited:
I did the same routine searches for Charles Geren and came up with:
$5500 from TADA
$7500 from GM (5000+2500)
$6000 from Koch (3000+3000)
$3000 from Lee Hughes (possibly of Fred Lee Hughes used auto)
$3000 from Richard Carr (possibly of Richard Carr Motors)

so not nearly as in bed with auto dealers as with hancock.

P.S. message sent via the "email" links to my Rep and Senator, one that I typed up myself rather than use a pre-made one anyway. Pretty sure I am unable to express my opinion about Geren and Hancock without getting moved to snippiness.

Last edited:
Here's what I wrote to my state senator. After looking at his campaign website he's pretty much an anthropomorphic MAGA Twitter egg. Feel free to use and modify.

Senator Fallon:

I am a constituent writing to ask you to voice your support against, and, if necessary, vote against, S.B. 1415. I believe that this bill puts the whims of special interests over the rights of the average Texan. Based on your conservative, pro-business background and campaign, I believe that once you consider the bill, you'll see that the proposed anti-business restrictions are nothing more than veiled protectionism of special interest groups like the NADA and other auto dealer organizations. I encourage you to evaluate the bill from a perspective of a free-market conservative and recognize that it is an unnecessary further introduction of government regulations that will hurt Texans. Thank you.

I am in California, I come here from the Tesla investment forum where i learned of this legislation. I have only a few friends who live in Texas. I have informed them of the situation, they did their emails. They are not Tesla owners but have told me they hate the way the oil industry owns Texas.

Best wishes to my friends from Texas on this issue, you have folks in other states helping out.

Gene

I am in California, I come here from the Tesla investment forum where i learned of this legislation. I have only a few friends who live in Texas. I have informed them of the situation, they did their emails. They are not Tesla owners but have told me they hate the way the oil industry owns Texas.

Best wishes to my friends from Texas on this issue, you have folks in other states helping out.

Gene
Thanks for your support, but really it's the auto dealer cartel that is the problem here fighting Tesla much more than the oil industry. People outside of Texas don't understand just how politically powerful the auto dealers are. They can't stand that cars are selling and they're not getting a piece of the action.

Thanks for your support, but really it's the auto dealer cartel that is the problem here fighting Tesla much more than the oil industry. People outside of Texas don't understand just how politically powerful the auto dealers are. They can't stand that cars are selling and they're not getting a piece of the action.
Thank you. Yes. . I understand it’s the dealers. I was just stating my friends in Texas are fed up with oil dollars

Just a reminder to all Texas residents if you use this link:
Support TESLA in Texas - Auto manufacturer in U.S

it will take you to a page with a pre-written letter draft that you can modify or add to as you wish, and with entering your address it will automatically send it to your state senator and representative, as well as the governor, Sen. Hancock, and all members of the Senate Business and Commerce Committee.

Reactions: gene
There was a senate subcommittee on business and commerce meeting both on the 26th (which, according to the witness record, did not involve SB1415) and another again this morning, for which neither minutes nor witness records have been posted. The house bill was referred the the subcommittee on licensing and administrative procedures whose chair seems more on the ball than Sen. Hancock in that an actual schedule with a list of bills to be covered is included. HB2940 is missing from that list.

The senate subcommittee just has a hearing notice saying they'll meet to discuss "pending business", and that was today with no future meetings on schedule. The house committee's schedule hints that the bill is DOA, but the senate schedule hints that they're going to try to sneak it through as quietly as possible.

Regular session ends in May, IIRC. I encourage others to try to confirm or disprove my observations, or at the very least keep an eye out on what Hancock and Geren are doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Prunesquallor