Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940 - contact your representatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Received this from Tesla in Texas -
---
Recently, Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940 were filed with the intent to restrict Tesla service centers in Texas. These bills want to ban a manufacturer’s ability to provide vehicle service to customers directly and could therefore limit customers’ access to service in Texas.

If you believe Texas should not prohibit your right to choose where you service your vehicles, please take a few minutes to contact your legislator and ask them to oppose Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940.

---

This bill alters the transportation code which prohibits vehicle manufacturers from operating dealerships by adding language that defines the business of a franchised dealership as including the following activities for a manufacturer's vehicles:
  • buying
  • selling
  • exchanging
  • servicing
  • repairing

----

Support TESLA in Texas - Auto manufacturer in U.S

Whose website is that? It's not Tesla's. The contact email on that page is [redacted]@capresults.net which does seem to be a public affairs company.
Good question. I just discovered that thanks to the EU privacy laws, whois is no longer useful as a tool to verify the legitimacy of internet domains. No idea who that information you type in ends up going to.
slow clap, EU.

Also, thought I'd mention that I have a pre-paid service plan. If the state were to interfere with my ability to get the service I already paid for, I would consider that theft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prunesquallor
I actually think it is good that the bill is going to be introduced, as it will push Tesla to find an actual solution to the problem, and raise awareness of how stupid the law is. Hopefully FTC, etc. is going to be involved.

As someone living in Texas, I’m going to support Tesla, even if this will introduce some inconveniences to me in servicing my car.

Reactions: bollar
Last night Senator Hancock claimed we were being misinformed.
post-3056-0-06694000-1552796374.jpeg

I replied this morning that his bill was quite clear and that we'd like to see him live up to the Free Markets rhetoric found on his website.
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 8.59.36 AM.png

His position is we're supposed to "wait until the bill actually got a hearing" before commenting, and apparently the actual contents of the bill are not considered "facts and basic research" in regards to the article at electrek.
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 3.03.25 PM.png

Reactions: Prunesquallor
Nice job. It’s pretty hard to refute that language. I’m going to keep a copy of your highlighted sections in case I ever hear that "all this bill does is..." stuff.

I don't tweet, so I’m going the route of emailing the appropriate legislators and shopping the Electrek story around. I don’t see anything inaccurate in it given the language you highlighted.

It is good to hear (if true) that they are working with Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiceWare
Received this from Tesla in Texas -
---
Recently, Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940 were filed with the intent to restrict Tesla service centers in Texas. These bills want to ban a manufacturer’s ability to provide vehicle service to customers directly and could therefore limit customers’ access to service in Texas.

If you believe Texas should not prohibit your right to choose where you service your vehicles, please take a few minutes to contact your legislator and ask them to oppose Senate Bill 1415 and House Bill 2940.

---

This bill alters the transportation code which prohibits vehicle manufacturers from operating dealerships by adding language that defines the business of a franchised dealership as including the following activities for a manufacturer's vehicles:
  • buying
  • selling
  • exchanging
  • servicing
  • repairing

----

Support TESLA in Texas - Auto manufacturer in U.S

My wife told me about this! If she's heard about it, at least it's not something that can be snuck through.