Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senate select committee on Electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's important that the voices of owners and drivers are heard on this subject, you can send your support or opinion to Independant Senator Tim Storer via email [email protected] or to his facebook page and Twitter account @storertim
image.jpg

Great news, hopefully something will happen. I would really like to see electric buses added to this although it is probably more a state issue.

Any news on the Canberra supercharger due to open winter 2018? Is it also a store/service centre? It would be great to have an opening with lots of EV’s not just Tesla and maybe a drive to parliament house.

The trouble is that Australia isn't the ideal place to build EV's. We couldn't built ICE vehicles competitively and Tesla is proving how hard it is to get profitable when starting from scratch. Unless the government offers even more generous incentives to established manufacturers to build EV's here (and that ain't gonna happen), our small domestic market, high labour costs and remoteness will all conspire against success. The government probably figures the select committee will keep Storer out of mischief.

Reactions: Jays200
I like the idea, but IMHO I still don't understand why our government didn't see the opportunity to invest in Darwin as the epicentre of the APAC region.

We missed the boat - it is well situated geographically with diverse resources and could have been an Australian "Singapore" innovation hub. If we'd invested in building it into a world class city and provided incentives for globals to setup their regional headquarters there we could have been leaders in the region.

Now we will forever be remote (with our innovation located mostly in eastern states) and too expensive to do anything.

Shane.

Reactions: Mark E
I like the idea, but IMHO I still don't understand why our government didn't see the opportunity to invest in Darwin as the epicentre of the APAC region.

We missed the boat - it is well situated geographically with diverse resources and could have been an Australian "Singapore" innovation hub. If we'd invested in building it into a world class city and provided incentives for globals to setup their regional headquarters there we could have been leaders in the region.

Now we will forever be remote (with our innovation located mostly in eastern states) and too expensive to do anything.

Shane.
It would never have worked, for only one reason: immigration policy.
SG works because it’s an Indian and Chinese nexus, with nowhere further to move to.
With Darwin, it would have become a swinging door to Australian immigration, with no substantial business ever being done.

Reactions: baillies
BS when it goes to Federal gov, they will gives subsidies to cars running on brown coal.
It’s still better to run on brown coal:
1. You can change power source in the future without changing the fleet.
2. Industrial turbines are more efficient than internal combustion engines (that’s why power stations aren’t just a bank of thousands of V8 engines).
3. The pollution is away from the majority of people (as opposed to knee-level in front of the primary school).
4. Future advances in pollution mitigation only need to be applied to the power stations, rather than recalling all motor vehicles.