Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

send navigation route from phone to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had read somewhere, that it was possible to setup a route on the phone and share it with the cars navigation. I have the Tesla app on my phone and when I put in a route using google earth, on my phone, I can share it with the Tesla. However, when I go to the car, I can't see it as a route option on the car's nav screen.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and how.
thanks.

Where did it show? I shared it, went to the car and the drop down list from the navigation bar, didn't show the destination.
I assume it would have to reroute in order to add charging stops.
It should be all routed ready to go.
I use Google Maps on iPhone and share to the Tesla App all the time and it works every time.

Try a different app and location.

Like what was mentioned it just sends the location to the car and the car routes it.

I’ll ask my wife at home to look something up and send it to the car and she isn’t even in the car. Suddenly I’m on my way as I’m driving.

It should be all routed ready to go.
I use Google Maps on iPhone and share to the Tesla App all the time and it works every time.

Try a different app and location.

Like what was mentioned it just sends the location to the car and the car routes it.

I’ll ask my wife at home to look something up and send it to the car and she isn’t even in the car. Suddenly I’m on my way as I’m driving.

I didn’t know this feature existed.

Is there a specific sequence needed to make this all transfer/share with the Tesla App and then the X?

I tried to share right now a route and it shows as it’s showing in Google Maps via my iPhone but it doesn’t show up in the navigation list or already show the planned route.

Hi @djillusion ,

You have to have your X paired by bluetooth with your phone.
With the new additions to software - You may want to assign
your phone as the "primary" and there are other questions
that come up asking to share your calendars with X.

You probably have these already chosen
if not they may help.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
I had read somewhere, that it was possible to setup a route on the phone and share it with the cars navigation. I have the Tesla app on my phone and when I put in a route using google earth, on my phone, I can share it with the Tesla. However, when I go to the car, I can't see it as a route option on the car's nav screen.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and how.
thanks.
I posted this video sometime back on YouTube.
Can Your Car Do This? #4... My Tesla Does ... Sharing Addresses with My Tesla

Glad to hear it worked for you. I can't get the location over to my X. On the phone I enter the address, share it, select 'Tesla' and ??

It says 'sent to JohnX which is the car name, but when I go to the car, nothing in the drop down nav menu.

The car is connect to my WIFI so I don't quite understand, there are not many options for the Navigation program, so it's not there.

Glad to hear it worked for you. I can't get the location over to my X. On the phone I enter the address, share it, select 'Tesla' and ??

It says 'sent to JohnX which is the car name, but when I go to the car, nothing in the drop down nav menu.

The car is connect to my WIFI so I don't quite understand, there are not many options for the Navigation program, so it's not there.

i got it to work in my garage and while the X was on our WIFI. I’ll need to try it again when not on home WIFI and see if it still works.

Not sure what’s going on in your situation. But there are a few circumstances that can cause errors…
Invalid data in the address. Suite numbers etc. can sometimes cause issues.

Some apps don’t actually share the physical address. Instead they share a url.

When sharing from Contacts in iOS, my experience is that the first address shown is sent to the car when there are multiple addresses for the same contact.
If you want to share an address that is not the first one, you need to tap it so it opens up the maps app and then share from there.

Another issue I have had is sending the address to the wrong car.
We have 2 Teslas and a solar system in our app.
If I left the app on the solar system then I get an error message. (screenshot below)
8E8BD939-95E5-4D98-AB29-5A6DE892AF8F.jpeg