Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Senda POST (or GET) command from the Tesla browser or other way from the UI, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, for my Home Automation I use Home Assistant, in which I programmed some relay that can be activated with a POST URL. For activating them I have an Android app that does that (HTTP SHORTCUT), which works great.

I press a button on my smartphone and I can open from a distance (a distance too far for the RF433 remotes) the gate, the garage and some lights in the parking, before me arriving at the destination.

Since Tesla UI already has it all, is there an app (or perhaps the browser itself) that can send POST URL on the Internet?

If all you need is to open these as you approach, you can do that thru the homelink function in the car that sends the signal based on GPS position.

No, the RF is too far away when I want to open the door, if I use homelink I will need to wait half a minute before it opens both doors (plus I need to press other buttons for the lights) , I prefer to do it 1 minute before arriving which is around 500 meters before, and the range of the RF is not enough.

It does need to be from the Internet

Reactions: DerbyDave
I can’t answer your question directly, but I use hubitat and use a simple GET for the Maker API. Can send any command to a device or fire an automation. Works great. See if your automation will fire with a GET and just put in a bookmark.
If your POST is more complicated where you need to insert/update, the consider what action you are doing and maybe create multiple URLs where the data is updated by the URL or use an internal web server (if your using HA, likely you have the hardware to host the server).

I can’t answer your question directly, but I use hubitat and use a simple GET for the Maker API. Can send any command to a device or fire an automation. Works great. See if your automation will fire with a GET and just put in a bookmark.
If your POST is more complicated where you need to insert/update, the consider what action you are doing and maybe create multiple URLs where the data is updated by the URL or use an internal web server (if your using HA, likely you have the hardware to host the server).

No the POST command is fixed, never looked into the possibility to do it with a GET URL (perhaps there is a way to do it, not sure)

YES it does, there is a cool addon called "Limited Guest Access" that does just that, creates GET URL links, that once visited on the browser they launch the command requested. Pretty pretty cool.

Is there a possibility on the TEsla UI to have sort of WIDGET (like Android widgets on the smartphones) on the home page which once pressed are launching the favourite (linked to my GET URL) of the browser?

Basically a WIDGET that says "OPEN THE FRONT GATE", once pressed it launches the URL in the browser

Is there a possibility on the TEsla UI to have sort of WIDGET (like Android widgets on the smartphones) on the home page which once pressed are launching the favourite (linked to my GET URL) of the browser?
You would need a web server to host the page. However, doesn't Home Assistant have a web based dashboard? I don't run HA but found this:
Dashboard Install and Configuration — AppDaemon 4.0.5 documentation
which seems like it would do the job (not a recommendation as I found it with just a Google search). Heck, HA may have a native dashboard like Hubitat but I don't know. Now since HA or Hubitat is behind your home firewall, you would have to setup port forwarding and make sure your security is set, but that's pretty trivial from a networking standpoint.

Still, all this work is pretty silly when voice commands or automation should work just fine. Just use Siri or Google (need a home hub for Siri) for one time use or use location detection if you want that action done all the time.

You would need a web server to host the page. However, doesn't Home Assistant have a web based dashboard? I don't run HA but found this:
Dashboard Install and Configuration — AppDaemon 4.0.5 documentation
which seems like it would do the job (not a recommendation as I found it with just a Google search). Heck, HA may have a native dashboard like Hubitat but I don't know. Now since HA or Hubitat is behind your home firewall, you would have to setup port forwarding and make sure your security is set, but that's pretty trivial from a networking standpoint.

Still, all this work is pretty silly when voice commands or automation should work just fine. Just use Siri or Google (need a home hub for Siri) for one time use or use location detection if you want that action done all the time.

Yes appdaemon dashboard is a solution, but do not want to maintain an addon to do a dashboard with one or max two commands.

Security is set with port forwarding and Nginx, pretty secure system, I use it since many years. I can access alll my automations from my phone/webbrowser outside of my home just fine.

Voice commands are ok if they work well, but sometimes I just prefer to push a button on the screen.

Automation? How would you do that?

Last edited:
I've used Postman to send POST requests to REST apis, I use it on the Tesla api to get a token. Unfortunately it's only available as a native app now. Look at this where someone uses javascript directly in the url bar: Is it possible to do a post request from browser URL . Maybe you could bookmark something like that?

yes that's a solution, did you try it on the TESLA webbrowser?

BTW whats the Tesla webbrowser Chrome, Firefox, proprietary??

Automation? How would you do that?

Actually this could work since the Home Assiistat has a device tracker, so it knows in real time the position of the car.

But how do you solve the fact that you need to open the gate when you arrive at at GPS position near home? Because you get to that position in two ways, (in my case at least): when I arrive home, and when I go away from home (I pass at the same GPS coordinates both ways)