TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

sending a google map search from computer to your Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by medphys, Jul 25, 2016.

1. medphys

medphys Member

Anyone have any luck sending a google map search from a computer to your tesla? Only had my Tesla for a month just learning.

Thanks

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No. It's been a highly-requested feature since at least 2013. We've grown accustomed to using it on our Volvo. Shame Tesla doesn't support it: seems like the major complexities are already taken care of.

3. AndreSF

AndreSF Member

I don't think you can do that... If you are referring to not having the need to type address into NAV in the car, one way to do it is to search on the phone/computer, add a calendar appointment with the address. Assuming your phone is connected and set to sync calendar, you will be able to tap address in the calendar app in the car vs typing it in.

PS. The NAV is not Google Maps, but a Tesla app with map data from Google.

• Informative x 1
  4. medphys

medphys Member

Thanks,I sort of figured that. Tesla gave me the impression that it was google maps. So it is only the google map data.
    Thanks for the info.

5. javawolfpack

javawolfpack Member

I know I read somewhere you can embed a link in your calendar event, so could post the google search in as an embedded link and see what happens when you navigate to that link on the Tesla? Potentially if it opens google maps that might pass the data to the Tesla navigation app? I don't have a Tesla yet to try this on.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

You can put any address into a calendar event, and hope it syncs quickly, but I don't think a google maps link will do anything in the car.

You can even just put things like "Grand Central Station" in your calendar, and Tesla Nav will pick it up for nav.

7. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

We use this all the time. Great example was our unexpected family emergency road trip from Newport Beach to Las Vegas. I created calendar events for all our stops including our hotel (with Start time = hotel's Check-In and End time = Check-Out), TIABI Coffee & Waffle Bar (Groupon: the iced Espresso Frankenstein Frappe worked miracles on our 4-hour sleep deprivation), and Banger Brewing beer tasting (another Groupon).

Other possibility is to create a Favorite in the Tesla web browser for your SAVED Google Map(s) and/or Gmail which will have the Google Maps links.

8. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

I used to sent address through Google map to my BMW all the time, enter address into BMW Nav just take too much time.
    Enter address or search on Tesla Nav is so much easier, you won't miss that much after a while.

• Like x 1
  9. privater

privater 2016 Model S60 owner

Am I the only person think the virtual keyboard is sufficient enough to type address? " Sent to car " is essential to those car with tiny touch screen or none at all(Audi, bmw) Don't take me wrong, I welcome this feature to add to tesla, but I think the current solution is good enough and better than most cars I know.

• Like x 1
  10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

You can also just hold the mic button and say the address. Or the business and city and it will come up with a list. "Navigate to Walgreen in Lisle Illninois" "Navigate to <business/place> in <city state>"

• Like x 2
  11. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Agree that this is not essential given ease of voice command, huge touch screen, and the option to click on a link in a calendar event... I want their resources tackling bigger issues, like way points in navigation, the actual navigation logic, etc. :)

• Like x 3