TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sending addresses from phone to car

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by HappyHappy, Jan 17, 2017.

1. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

I tried to do a search, but apologies in advance if it's already been discussed.

Is there an easy way to send an address from your phone (either contacts or yelp or google maps) straight to the car's navigation? This has been my biggest pet peeve in for the built in navigation in all my other cars. Thanks in advance.

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I may not be remembering this correctly, but I think the work-around people use is to schedule a calendar event with the address. The car can sync your calendar, so people then pull the address up that way. Again, I've never done this myself, so there is a chance I may have some of the details wrong.

• Like x 1
  3. tdjvfr

tdjvfr Member

Yes, scheduling a calendar event on your phone and adding the address works once the car syncs with the phone.
    I've done it a couple times.

• Like x 1
  4. scsmx

scsmx Member

I am also surprised by how well the voice recognition works with addresses.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

If your phone is connected and you have addresses in your phone's contact, you can access contacts through the X's phone function & tap the address - the navigation software will take it from there!

• Informative x 4
  6. mikegre

mikegre Member

I agree. Using a voice command to input a navigation destination is just about flawless.

• Like x 1
  7. HappyHappy

HappyHappy Member

Thanks for all your comments. I still think a quick way to share an address from another app to the car would be best. There are times when I'm on the computer mapping out locations. Wouldn't it be great to just send it there? I used to be able to do that through the Google Maps webpage to my BMW. Or if you are at a cafe with friends, and they tell you we are going here next, send it directly to the car without having to wait to get back to the car. Yes, a minor inconvenience, but I assume it shouldn't be a difficult software improvement.

8. pakman00

pakman00 Member

New Model X owner here. Just checking to see if there have been any other easier workarounds or updates since the last posts. Agree with HappyHappy, nice to be able to plan your trip from inside your house, coffee shop, etc. and have it uploaded to the car navigation. And the navigation system really needs to stop trying to drive you to the middle of the tarmac and instead of the terminals when you select an airport...

9. scsmx

scsmx Member

You can use EVTO-Tesla app to plan your trip. It can add the waypoints to your calendar which can then be used by the Navigation system. It also does a good job predicting range.

10. Rossy

Rossy Supporting Member

Had this on my '11 BMW 335is convertible really miss "email to car" on my Volvo. Will try the Calendar feature though when I get my X..(few more weeks hopefully.

11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Make sure the address is added into the Location field of calendar if using iPhone.

• Like x 1