Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sending addresses from phone to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to do a search, but apologies in advance if it's already been discussed.

Is there an easy way to send an address from your phone (either contacts or yelp or google maps) straight to the car's navigation? This has been my biggest pet peeve in for the built in navigation in all my other cars. Thanks in advance.

I may not be remembering this correctly, but I think the work-around people use is to schedule a calendar event with the address. The car can sync your calendar, so people then pull the address up that way. Again, I've never done this myself, so there is a chance I may have some of the details wrong.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Thanks for all your comments. I still think a quick way to share an address from another app to the car would be best. There are times when I'm on the computer mapping out locations. Wouldn't it be great to just send it there? I used to be able to do that through the Google Maps webpage to my BMW. Or if you are at a cafe with friends, and they tell you we are going here next, send it directly to the car without having to wait to get back to the car. Yes, a minor inconvenience, but I assume it shouldn't be a difficult software improvement.

Thanks for all your comments. I still think a quick way to share an address from another app to the car would be best. There are times when I'm on the computer mapping out locations. Wouldn't it be great to just send it there? I used to be able to do that through the Google Maps webpage to my BMW. Or if you are at a cafe with friends, and they tell you we are going here next, send it directly to the car without having to wait to get back to the car. Yes, a minor inconvenience, but I assume it shouldn't be a difficult software improvement.

New Model X owner here. Just checking to see if there have been any other easier workarounds or updates since the last posts. Agree with HappyHappy, nice to be able to plan your trip from inside your house, coffee shop, etc. and have it uploaded to the car navigation. And the navigation system really needs to stop trying to drive you to the middle of the tarmac and instead of the terminals when you select an airport...

Had this on my '11 BMW 335is convertible really miss "email to car" on my Volvo. Will try the Calendar feature though when I get my X..(few more weeks hopefully.

I agree this would be a nice to have feature, and adding a calendar isn't really the same... how do you have multiple locations in a calendar request, or is there a way to have it auto generate 4 meeting invites from the maps interface? if not, it's not the same.

This is addressed with v9, the next update. In fact, they have already updated the phone app in preparation. From my Google Maps I can send a route to the Tesla app (second attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180929-141016_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20180929-141016_Google Play Store.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot_20180929-141236_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20180929-141236_Maps.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Informative
Reactions: JQS3 and Bogobec
It seems that this is coming in v9. From the release notes:

Mobile App
With this car software version, you can now do even more with your vehicle from the mobile app.

You can now start navigation in your car by using the share button in your favorite phone apps. In iOS, you can enable sharing to your vehicle by opening up the app you want to share from, tapping the More button in your sharing menu, and then scrolling to the right until you find your vehicle.

Edit: The time I looked for the article online mentioning this, and @Anzir beat me to it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzir
This is addressed with v9, the next update. In fact, they have already updated the phone app in preparation. From my Google Maps I can send a route to the Tesla app (second attachment)

I just updated my Tesla App, and it does added the share address feature. It said it just need 2018.39 or later.

EDIT: I can confirm that 2018.36.2 does not work with it yet LOL.

Nice! Only 18 months after mentioning it (and requesting in-car). Guess I gotta get in all my future requests in now so I can get them before the car is retired. :)

Actually, I do wish it were also possible to send addresses from my computer. Long distance trip planning is still easier with multiple monitors and a keyboard/mouse. Looking forward to seeing this in mid 2020.

I just updated my Tesla App, and it does added the share address feature. It said it just need 2018.39 or later.

EDIT: I can confirm that 2018.36.2 does not work with it yet LOL.
My S was just updated to 2018.39, but nothing changed in my Tesla App (I have the latest version), and there are no Tesla icons showing up in the sharing sections of the map apps on my phone. Is there something I need to do to engage the new features in the Tesla app?

Actually, I just found the Tesla icon lurking in the "more" section of the sharing pane of Google Maps and Apple Maps on my iPhone X. So, once I found the Tesla icon, I enabled it, and now all is well. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Anzir