TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sending the wrong message? Coal powered?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenT, Oct 9, 2015.

1. GreenT

GreenT Member

Came across this car charging in Georgia recently.

I did a double take when I read the license plate frame.

Is this owner sending the wrong message?

Attached Files:

2. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

How do you define "wrong"?
    That may be the exact message the owner intended.

Many take pride in using local fuel, rather than sending some of our money out of the country, or at least region, hurting our economy and national security, not to mention soldier's lives.

Their are many different reasons for driving electric.

3. GreenT

GreenT Member

I meant coal!

Guess I have to spell it out. Coal is dirty, so unless we add solar, wind or hydro, we leave it alone.

And, BTW, the word is there in your reply.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I've seen a Volt with a PA plate with a "Powered by coal" sticker. Some people are supportive of coal.

If you want to clean up electricity, sell lots of electric cars, so you'll have massive economies of scale in battery manufacturing, lower the cost of batteries, help make batteries ubiquitous on the grid, and then you'll be able to integrate a lot more renewable power more easily.

Right now, I don't care if it's powered by coal or powered by sun, I want it with a battery and powered by electricity.

5. SR22pilot

SR22pilot Member

In Georgia, coal accounts for 41% of the electricity generated. That number is going down. The message is highly inaccurate.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Here in Ontario, Canada a lot of people refer to electricity as "Hydro" even though nuclear is a far bigger contributor to the grid than hydro is. Old habits and all that...

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

YOu have a sizable state. They might be from a coal area. And since charging occurs at night, that might be more coal-powered than during the day.