Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seniors wishing the glovebox had a physical button to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)
Think best to go with Japanese or German EV to get lots of buttons, anyway Elon Musk doesn't want to make slow cars he said. So Nissan Leaf or Mercedes EQC gives you both slow acceleration and buttons.

I also notice that it's "buggy" computer on wheels. Meaning when I put Tesla in reverse or drive, I often have to do that MORE than once to do it, and it seems unpredictable - so I look at the screen to see the tiny D or R to make sure I don't crash in a wall because the car did not respond to my use of the D/R handle.

With a stick shift, this is never an issue - once you put it in reverse, the car will for sure go in reverse! Unlike Tesla.

I love the acceleration, the main reason for Tesla - so I'll live with the "quirks". Not loving that, Asian brands are good at slow acceleration cars.

I have ridden with many drivers in cars with lots of buttons and they are always looking down at the dash or reaching down and fiddling with the buttons trying to find the "correct" combo.

Why, as a driver, would you want to lean across the car while driving to open the glovebox and rummage around looking for something? You WILL be averting your eyes from the road, guaranteed.

A/C, it's on climate control and does an admirable job of keeping the cabin at the desired temp. Want to change the temp, fan settings or seat heaters, RTFM. Push the RH scroll button and tell the car what you want it to do.

Want to wash the windscreen. Again RTFM, it's right there with a push of the LH stalk.

As a retired 77 YO RF/microwave psychist who has designed lots of stuff for military and civilian applications, neither I nor does my non-tech wife have any issues with the M3. OK I do. I'd like 400+ miles of range.

As for going into gear, it's an operator error. One must firmly press the stalk in the direction you want it to go. Because it offers little resistance, one typically flicks the stalk in the desired direction without letting the logic switch close. You never ground the gears going into reverse? Sure you did.

But I hear you both. If the Tesla "quirks" don't work for you, there are many choices around the corner. Of course inexpensive supercharging won't be around the corner or even down the street. But, what the hey, you've got your buttons to look at and fiddle with while you're driving. I think the Leaf has lots.

How about the look of the new GUI? Talk to the car, it'll listen & perform.

Reactions: drtimhill
Thanks.

Yes, I assume the magnet is on the stalk. Which must be moved into the close proximity of the sensor. Get it almost close, no go. I had experienced the same issue with my M3 and after I started moving the stalk completely, the issue went away. Hall effect switches are very useful.

I use hall effect switches on my vintage British vehicles. And in some of my Amateur Radio equipment.

Reactions: drtimhill
And to anyone who claims that they adjust HVAC controls or others without glancing at them, I seriously call BS. It may only be a short glance, but I seriously doubt you don't take your eyes off the road at all when reaching for controls on the dashboard.
There are cars where the HVAC controls are three pointer dials -- one for temperature, one for fan speed, and one for which vents are open.

You can tell by feel what each one is set at, and turn them to the desired setting without looking at them.

However, this type of setup seems to be getting less common these days. Many HVAC control setups (whether buttons or touch screens) in more recent cars require looking to determine what the current settings are.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: CyberGus and house9
There are cars where the HVAC controls are three pointer dials -- one for temperature, one for fan speed, and one for which vents are open.

You can tell by feel what each one is set at, and turn them to the desired setting without looking at them.

However, this type of setup seems to be getting less common these days. Many HVAC control setups (whether buttons or touch screens) in more recent cars require looking to determine what the current settings are.
s-l1600.jpg

Forget dials - I miss my old school sliders!!
9802616E-E988-46D1-826E-607AC975AFFD.jpeg

Though not thrilled with latest update (worst ever in my opinion), I know now I can say “turn on defrost, or wipers” and be able to see where I’m going, without sorting out where the controls have moved to. What’s with the weird new icons?!

Tesla could help by adding a glove-box button to the lower right corner of the screen. As it is now, if a passenger wants to open the glove box, say to get out a parking permit as we're pulling in, they have to know to tap the Car icon on the driver's side, then find the Glove Box button on a screen that is now filled with buttons. This also then becomes a distraction for the driver, who needs to keep eyes out the window or may have been using the backup cameras to back into a parking spot.

Voice control is an OK thing, when it works, and for those who want to use it (my partner hates voice interfaces for a number of valid reasons). Voice is inconvenient to use while in the midst of a conversation or when there are other people in the car talking. What, am I supposed to say, "Quiet everyone, I need to use the voice control system so I can open the glove box."... waits ... "Open the glove box" ... then pray it works.

I'd much prefer a simple, always-there Glove Box button on the edge/corner of the screen closest to the actual glove box. Sure, make it a setting or configurable/draggable for those who don't want it.