Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seniors wishing the glovebox had a physical button to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To deny warranty coverage, they must show that your modification caused the failure. Simply having a mod does not nullify the entire warranty.

Didn't say that it is.

But it's not uncommon for a dealer to say a mod caused it to get out of warranty work. But if the customer confronts them they back down. I've been down that road with a number of dealers.

I've also seen the 3rd party Tesla puddle lights burned out the window motor so Tesla won't cover it. Honestly I could see that going either way depending on specifics. But in general I think the customer would win.

I only brought it up as a potential issue that could come up. Not that you would necessary be denied coverage.

But while lots of things get plugged into car Can Busses all the time, it's also an easy argument for a dealer since they don't know what else you might have modified in the system. People had into the Audi and Mercedes systems all the time to add, modify features; but also tough things they shouldn't.

Last edited:
Tesla need to do a MUCH better job of pushing the voice recognition abilities of their cars. I do almost nothing with the touchscreen while driving, I do everything through the voice rec functions. "open glovebox" works perfectly well!

Voice control is a killer feature, I love my Amazon Echo. But sometimes I just don't want to interrupt the current song. Or the woman talking in the passenger seat. :oops:

Wow what an epic thread, I don't think I've liked or laughed at so many posts in a single thread
Educational, I learnt about S3XY buttons and presbyopia
Poignant, so many moving stories about the struggles and overcoming adversity dealing with the HAVC system
The arguing, didn't start till 6 pages in

Great to see range anxiety is now a thing of the past
and glovebox management is were it's at

Every day I thank god the Tesla interior and UI wasn't designed by a focus group

Given that neither Siri nor the vast majority of telephone voice response systems can seem to understand at least half of what I'm saying, am I going to be hosed in trying to control my soon-to-be MY? I can't even get yes/no responses to register correctly on most voice recognition systems. Having to rely on voice for anything critical is a little unnerving. Perhaps a voice coach is required.

Given that neither Siri nor the vast majority of telephone voice response systems can seem to understand at least half of what I'm saying, am I going to be hosed in trying to control my soon-to-be MY? I can't even get yes/no responses to register correctly on most voice recognition systems. Having to rely on voice for anything critical is a little unnerving. Perhaps a voice coach is required.

You need to get a "Speak-n-Spell" like "E.T." used, so you can type out your voice commands and have them spoken aloud for you.

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli
This is going to sound terrible, but this problem is only for the current 50+ age group who didn't grow up with technology, and as that generation dies out and is replaced by the next gens that grew up with iPad in their hands (like my kids, for example), this problem will go away for the most part. I'm 42.

I don't mean this as a slam to seniors. It's just that it's a problem that doesn't need to be fixed as the non-tech gens die off. That being said, there will always be cases where things are hard to understand because of poor UI/UX design and just the loss of cognitive ability as we age.

Just my honest opinion.

This is going to sound terrible, but this problem is only for the current 50+ age group who didn't grow up with technology, and as that generation dies out and is replaced by the next gens that grew up with iPad in their hands (like my kids, for example), this problem will go away for the most part. I'm 42.

I don't mean this as a slam to seniors. It's just that it's a problem that doesn't need to be fixed as the non-tech gens die off. That being said, there will always be cases where things are hard to understand because of poor UI/UX design and just the loss of cognitive ability as we age.

Just my honest opinion.

You’re right. It does sound terrible.

Bad UX design is not an “old people” problem.

Just my honest opinion.
it doesn't go away
In the not to distant future, when touch screens are replaced with neuralink thought control
Touch screen users of today will want the good old days back
We will be the grandpas/grandmas of tomorrow told to get with the program

it doesn't go away
In the not to distant future, when touch screens are replaced with neuralink thought control
Touch screen users of today will want the good old days back
We will be the grandpas/grandmas of tomorrow told to get with the program

All those futuristic space movies, even from today, using all those touch screens and voice prompts having been lying to us about the future. Ugh.

Or maybe thought based controls makes for a very quiet and dull movie.

😉

Try "Ah-Yup!" and "HAIL NO!" Shouldn't be any worse than yes/no.

Looked…NO manual switch in late 2021 MSP. ALSO owners manual does Not show it and only says Voice or button in Controls on screen.
73724B6C-EB1D-4041-AD5D-BC8072593F42.jpeg