Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seniors wishing the glovebox had a physical button to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HVAC controls or others without glancing at them, I seriously call BS. It may only be a short glance, but I seriously doubt you don't take your eyes off the road at all when reaching for controls on the dashboard.

You don’t have to be a blue-hair or boomer to agree with the OP. (40 here)

As proven by study after study, real physical controls for vehicular use are superior to touch/soft controls, and will likely remain so. That is, until non-invasive EEG based stuff becomes reality. Plus, the voice controls still fail on the regular, and I’m in a major metro with solid cell coverage. I imagine that is worse in areas with weaker cell service.

FYI - I changed EQ settings & Subwoofer level in my Acura TL (odd giant knob control, up high on dash, in peripheral view), 1-10+ times per drive, without taking eyes off the road, nearly every time I drove it.
(wildy dif. music style on random, lol... miss that stereo too) While that level of familiarity with the physical interfaces/menu/setting trees took time to develop, it is sorely missed. Changing EQ in the 3 is super unsafe/annoying while driving. Way too hard really. Avoid it unless my ears/OCD are super pissed about how current track sounds.

Same with wipers. On the odd times it rains in this new climate change version of AZ, I miss changing wiper functions from feel alone too, as Tesla’s autowiper nonsense is pure reinventing the wheel garbage. They shoulda bought/integrated a 3rd party rain sensor system with real stalk controls, then used the saved capital to invest in predelivery QC & customer service training/staff.

Again, same with A/C control in my 3. When voice works its cool, but I change fan speed regularly. It would be SO much better if that could be done from muscle-memory alone.

I didnt read whatever original thread this post was in before the mods created this new thread for the OP. I understand some of the OPs concerns but as was likely said a million times (based on the couple responses I see in this thread at least) many of them are likely circumvented by using voice command which is even better than "quickly reaching over and blah blah blah".

I would say to the OP of this thread, take a few minutes and try voice commands. They work better in this car than other cars I have had that had voice commands,. OP may not know all the things you can command that way, but, for example, you can:

Open the glovebox
Change the AC temperature
Turn on and off the wipers, and change modes of said wipers
Perform navigation ("navigate home", or "navigate to (address)" or "Where is the closest Home depot" all work)

There are more. I do agree that the tablet interface can be confusing for some, but the voice commands are WORLDS better than when I took delivery of my car in december of 2018.

It would be just as easy to teach a senior to push a button on the steering wheel and say "Navigate to the closest iHop" than it would be to teach them to use the navigation system in just about ANY other vehicle (most older people have no interest in using navigation in an ICE car because its too hard to understand what to do).

The glove box specifically is a specific case. I store my Charging adapter in there so I need to open the glove compartment whenever I want to charge at a regular non tesla charging location (of which my workplace is one). I sometimes forget to open it when I pull into the parking spot with the outlet at work, and its faster for me to use voice commands to open the glove compartment than use the tablet to get to the "open glove compartment" command.

The root complaint, though "the car is intimidating to seniors" I can see that.. although my mom (who is 73) spends all day poking around at her iPad, so seeing a "giant ipad" as my control unit intrigues her. She doesnt drive anymore though, so I cant get her feedback on how confusing it would be to operate on a daily basis.

I am impressed with the technical acumen detailed here. It saddens me, though, because it is just one more piece of evidence to me that Tesla autos are not for the senior set (of which I am a reluctant member).

I own a Model 3 and drive it only infrequently ... especially now during the Covid-19 crimp on places to go. Now I'm sure all you young'uns out there will puzzle over how I could possibly lose some sharpness in my senior years; after all, you (and I, too, when I was a young'un) are bright, quick on your feet, sharp memory, and all the rest of the admirable characteristics of not-old humans, AND YOU'LL NEVER GIVE IN TO THE RAVAGES OF AGE, EITHER. Am I not right?

The Tesla autos have sometimes been called, with pride, "a computer on wheels." However, when I describe my M3 that way to others, it's with an inward groan. Why? It is so difficult to do anything, even simple things like open the glove box. In all the ICE cars I've ever driven, it's been easy. A/C? Sure, just reach over WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD and make the adjustments by touch. No way to do that in my computer on wheels.

(btw, I fully expect there will be many crash descriptions of seniors taking their eyes off the road too long and crashing into some innocent car, guard rail at the edge of a cliff, or oncoming fully loaded semi.)

Or, say you want to flip on the windshield wipers to wash off a bug flattened right in your line of vision. If you’re like me, you’ll have to pull over to the side of the road and browse through the logical decision tree on the touch screen (that saves a lot of weight, I’m sure) before you can home in, minutes later, on the part of the algorithm that gives you several choices for windshield wiper activation.

This retired aerospace engineer, who helped design the control system of the GPS satellite decades ago, longs for the simplicity of an old ICE car! Same for my wife, who refuses to drive the M3 because it is “Too complicated.”

Elon! Here’s a demographic that you might not reach until you design a simple ecar: The really senior cohort that really doesn’t need 0 – 60 in 3 seconds. (I tried to think of a name for a senior-appropriate Tesla that could be added to the S3XY lineup, but I nodded off. Maybe after my nap.)

I'm getting there myself in age too, but on this I'll admit tesla got it nearly right... In my previous cars a lever or a button would break, and I'd be screwed.. while this maybe a single point of failure, LCD screens are so much more reliable than mechanical buttons and lever. I prefer less buttons and hopefully remove the steering wheel and pedal soon...hopefully before I retire.

I'm getting there myself in age too, but on this I'll admit tesla got it nearly right... In my previous cars a lever or a button would break, and I'd be screwed.. while this maybe a single point of failure, LCD screens are so much more reliable than mechanical buttons and lever. I prefer less buttons and hopefully remove the steering wheel and pedal soon...hopefully before I retire.

Yes, but if the screen fails it knocks out many functions. While in a conventional car it a button breaks, usually just one feature goes out.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Yes, but if the screen fails it knocks out many functions. While in a conventional car it a button breaks, usually just one feature goes out.
Yes that's true, but I've owned more LCD screens than I remember and I can honestly say, I've NEVER had an LCD go out on me, but that's not to say tesla used quality parts here....urgh the bad paint job, panel misalignment, etc..etc... Regardless, I do hope the honeymoon period passes with the wife soon so I can rid of this pos and get that Hyundai kona ev ultimate with life time battery warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: smatthew
"Just use the voice control" and "leave everything in Auto" such a crude, facile response, it beggars belief.

Voice control is great when it effectively replaces complex manual input. "Navigate to the post office in carson city" is much faster than typing it in.

Voice control is cumbersome and superfluous if you need to press a button, speak to the device, wait for the acceptance, to execute common, direct tasks. Like turning up the temp 1 degree or fan down 1 speed.

That's why your cell phones still have volume buttons. Because tactility, physical familiarity, responsiveness, are all important.

Why not just replace the gear shift with voice control. The steering with digital slider bar. Windshield wipers only on auto (computers know best!).....

Really, if you people wanted to motor around through some dictation and having all other decisions made for you.....hire a chauffer.

"Just use the voice control" and "leave everything in Auto" such a crude, facile response, it beggars belief.

Voice control is great when it effectively replaces complex manual input. "Navigate to the post office in carson city" is much faster than typing it in.

Voice control is cumbersome and superfluous if you need to press a button, speak to the device, wait for the acceptance, to execute common, direct tasks. Like turning up the temp 1 degree or fan down 1 speed.

That's why your cell phones still have volume buttons. Because tactility, physical familiarity, responsiveness, are all important.

Why not just replace the gear shift with voice control. The steering with digital slider bar. Windshield wipers only on auto (computers know best!).....

Really, if you people wanted to motor around through some dictation and having all other decisions made for you.....hire a chauffer.
I press the right scroll wheel, and say "Open glove box," and presto, it opens. Beats the hell out of reaching across the car, looking for the button, and pressing it.

Physical controls are so much better than voice recognition; that's why Apple is getting rid of Siri, Amazon is dumping Alexa, and Google is getting rid of whatever they call theirs. But Microsoft is retaining Cortana because, well they're Microsoft.

Physical controls are so much better than voice recognition; that's why Apple is getting rid of Siri, Amazon is dumping Alexa, and Google is getting rid of whatever they call theirs. But Microsoft is retaining Cortana because, well they're Microsoft.
Did you willfully ignore the very post you replied to, or you choose to construct uncontested arguments for fun?

Nobody said voice control is universally bad. Just like every other tool, it is better for some applications, and worse for other applications.

When I want to watch a certain program, it is much faster to command "Alexa, play episode 4 of The Sopranos on living room TV"

When I want to scan through the channels, it is faster and more natural to click through the remote than ask "Alexa, change channel to 24" "Alexa, change channel to 25" "Alexa, change channel to 26" ad infinitum.

Is that so difficult to understand?

Did you willfully ignore the very post you replied to, or you choose to construct uncontested arguments for fun?

Nobody said voice control is universally bad. Just like every other tool, it is better for some applications, and worse for other applications.

When I want to watch a certain program, it is much faster to command "Alexa, play episode 4 of The Sopranos on living room TV"

When I want to scan through the channels, it is faster and more natural to click through the remote than ask "Alexa, change channel to 24" "Alexa, change channel to 25" "Alexa, change channel to 26" ad infinitum.

About three quarters of the very post I replied to bad mouthed voice commands; I responded to that, not to the one quarter that didn't. Curious that your examples were for television and not for a car.

About three quarters of the very post I replied to bad mouthed voice commands; I responded to that, not to the one quarter that didn't. Curious that your examples were for television and not for a car.

That's an analogy. It's made after I gave various examples in the actual car:

Tesla VC and touch control for navigation is extremely effective. (Overall best system i've used, better than BMW iDrive).

Tesla VC and touch control for globebox I don't care. Don't use it often. It's not a critical function.

Tesla VC and touch control for things like Wiper speed is backwards. It's silly to need to press a physical button in one place, and then press another virtual button in a completely separate place, to change wiper speed. Or to need to ask by voice for the computer to do that. It's not life or death, but it is kludgy.

Not everything capacitive touch and voice control is better. This is the point.

That's an analogy. It's made after I gave various examples in the actual car:

Tesla VC and touch control for navigation is extremely effective. (Overall best system i've used, better than BMW iDrive).

Tesla VC and touch control for globebox I don't care. Don't use it often. It's not a critical function.

Tesla VC and touch control for things like Wiper speed is backwards. It's silly to need to press a physical button in one place, and then press another virtual button in a completely separate place, to change wiper speed. Or to need to ask by voice for the computer to do that. It's not life or death, but it is kludgy.

Not everything capacitive touch and voice control is better. This is the point.
What is wrong about adjusting wiper speed by voice command? You're wrong about having to press a physical button in one place and a virtual button in another. You press the wiper icon at the bottom left of the touch screen, and press the speed at the same location.

People who try to posit that voice command is the universal answer are ignorant or perhaps are being a tad disengenuous. Let's do a quick exercise here to prove a point. In your model 3 you have three main options to scroll through songs. Yes all three work and do the same job, but one is more effective than others. Which one do you use?

A: the handy physical scroll wheel you can use with muscle memory alone?

B: the touch screen which requires you to look away from the road?

C: by pressing a button, muting your music and cutting off conversation with your passengers, saying "next/prev song", then waiting several seconds?

I don't know, maybe I'm just weird, but for me option A is obviously more effective and a far better UX. If you think adjusting your wipers is different, you are wrong. And unlike music, poor wiper controls can be a very real safety issue.

Again I state: Tesla did not put everything in the touchscreen because it is "better" it was done to simplify manufacturing and save money. Eliminating some rarely used physical controls like mirror adjustments or headlights makes sense. How often does one use either, particularly with the advent of automatic headlights. Something you need to use often, especially when moving is more dangerous and less efficient, but it does lower the cost a bit.

Reactions: SVMike and holmgang

I really think it's easier for the driver to open the glovebox in a Tesla than another vehicle that has the lever in front of the passenger seat. How can others think it's safer to reach over to lift the lever while driving vs. saying "open glove box" or two taps on the screen??? Doesn't make any sense.

I really think it's easier for the driver to open the glovebox in a Tesla than another vehicle that has the lever in front of the passenger seat. How can others think it's safer to reach over to lift the lever while driving vs. saying "open glove box" or two taps on the screen??? Doesn't make any sense.

It's not just about the glove box. It's never been just about the glovebox.

It's about the simple fact voice command and touch control are NOT universal solutions -- misguided technophilia that some people subscribe to.

They are better for some things. They are worse for some things.

For the glovebox, in your hypothetical, it doesn't even matter, because it's equally unsafe for a driver to be accessing the glovebox regardless of the means of opening