Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensitivity of “auto” wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the proper sub for this but

Ive noticed that the “auto” setting for the wipers during rain or light drizzle to either: not turn on at all when there is obviously buildup of moisture on the windshield or - just go bat outa heck and go full speed for no reason.

Anyone else with this issue? And would tint on the windshield affect this? I can’t imagine it would because it’s on the inside.

Ive noticed that the “auto” setting for the wipers during rain or light drizzle to either: not turn on at all when there is obviously buildup of moisture on the windshield or - just go bat outa heck and go full speed for no reason.

Anyone else with this issue? And would tint on the windshield affect this? I can’t imagine it would because it’s on the inside.
You're definitely not alone. There are many days with light snow/winter road spray when I need to press the wiper button every 15 seconds or so. Otherwise, it's either no wiping action at all (dangerous) or way too much (irritating). I'm sure there are a bunch of us out there hoping that Tesla will either improve the sensitivity of the auto wiper, or at least add more speed settings so that we just can set it and forget it.
Sorry I can't help you with your tint question.

You're definitely not alone. There are many days with light snow/winter road spray when I need to press the wiper button every 15 seconds or so. Otherwise, it's either no wiping action at all (dangerous) or way too much (irritating). I'm sure there are a bunch of us out there hoping that Tesla will either improve the sensitivity of the auto wiper, or at least add more speed settings so that we just can set it and forget it.
Sorry I can't help you with your tint question.
You read my mind and articulated it into words! I know there may be other threads on this but I’m generally on mobile and I get inundated with nonsense. Let’s hope for a set and forget ! At least we got a sonic game this update for the kids 😂😂. Thank you for the kind reply. Actually might be heading to Montreal soon!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Put me on the list as well. I read other threads before buying my M3 and thought how bad could they be? All cars don't have the best auto wipers. Today was my first 5am in the dark rainy 40mile commute. Not fun at all. I think Tesla out did themselves with this one. They are my #1 worst Auto wipers that I've ever used. Honestly it wouldn't as noticeable if you had more control on the stalk so you could at least control it manually better. The voice commands did function well though so I was able to speed and slow the wipers based on speed, rain and traffic.

If they could just make it more sensitive I'd rather have too fast of wipers than none at all. Also have the lights turn on anytime your wipers are running.
It's the law in my state regardless of it being day or night.

Reactions: L_Mont
You read my mind and articulated it into words! I know there may be other threads on this but I’m generally on mobile and I get inundated with nonsense. Let’s hope for a set and forget ! At least we got a sonic game this update for the kids 😂😂. Thank you for the kind reply. Actually might be heading to Montreal soon!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️
If you end up heading to Montreal in the next few weeks, keep your eyes open for potholes! Pothole season is here

Tinting will never affect windshield wipers because they're on the inside like you said. As for anyone else having those experiences, it's everyone. I don't think this is one of those algorithms that magically work great for some people and not for others. light drizzle is pretty much the same everywhere, regardless if you're in Canada, Europe or the US.

An interesting update that could help everyone may be somehow activating the steering wheel scroll wheel to be used for increasing or decreasing the speed. maybe press the stalk then the right or left wheel changes the speed so you're not fumbling around with the touch screen. Or maybe even a double press of the wheel when your wipers are active. or a single press of the right wheel while the wipers are active allows a cycle up or down. something you can do with muscle memory would be great.

Just giving this thread a bump as I too think the 'auto' sensitivity of the wipers needs to be customizable - and could be easily. During a very light shower, my car thinks its driving through hurricane Katrina and the wipers are going as fast as possible. Instead, I'm fumbling through the various wiper modes in an attempt to find one that matches the conditions. I feel pretty confident that my last 3-4 vehicles had the ability to tweak the auto setting to a preference. I hope Tesla does this too in an upcoming update.

Not sure about the Y, but my Model S auto wiper function is still listed as in "Beta". Been in beta for the 3 years I've owned the car. You'd think Tesla could get something as simple as auto wipers functioning properly since every other car manufacturer has had for years.

• Funny
Reactions: tander and OliverM3
Not sure about the Y, but my Model S auto wiper function is still listed as in "Beta". Been in beta for the 3 years I've owned the car. You'd think Tesla could get something as simple as auto wipers functioning properly since every other car manufacturer has had for years.
Seriously?!? How hard can it be? Put a slider bar under the wiper setting to adjust wiper sensitivity that you can either drag with your finger to set desired sensitivity, or the steering wheel controls. This is literally one JIRA sprint worth of work. And that's with a lazy dev or two on the team. lol!

Seriously?!? How hard can it be? Put a slider bar under the wiper setting to adjust wiper sensitivity that you can either drag with your finger to set desired sensitivity, or the steering wheel controls. This is literally one JIRA sprint worth of work. And that's with a lazy dev or two on the team. lol!
I would love something a little more complex like when the stalk button is held the volume or car distance knob controls the speed.
I mean they did it for volume when you're on nav your volume is the music but when she speaks turn by turn the volume knob controls her volume.

Yup, but in all honestly, I've never found that auto sensing wipers work very well, ever (on any car I've ever driven). I think it's a bug of the technology, not specific to Tesla. I wish we had manual, variable speed wipers instead.

I found the Rain-sensing wipers in my BMW's worked very well. Never an issue.
I wasn't even aware that Tesla had 'auto wipers', which I GUESS means rain sensing wipers. My Tesla, with intermittant wipers, but not rain-sensing, reminds me a lot of my mid-80's Honda wipers. Whatever speed I pick is the speed they stay at, whether it's raining or not. Mine have never adjusted in any way to how much rain is falling, nor turned themselves off if the rain stopped.

Last edited:
I wasn't even aware that Tesla had 'auto wipers', which I GUESS means rain sensing wipers
When they're working properly, they are both rain sensing and adjust the speed to the rain level/speed. But mine currently seem to be having a problem with either the bugs flying in front of my windshield, or the dead bugs on my windshield - they start up on their own, and occasionally keep going even though it's not raining.

Reactions: ptf1

Recall, fix the wipers