Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensor locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gigaron

San Bruno
Supporting Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Has anyone put together a map of all of the radar and ultrasonic sensor locations on the various models? I’m particularly infested in the MY since forward proximity seems to have died with no error messages. I need an idea of where to start looking.

Proximity sensors are only ultrasonics. They don’t work at all? Have you rebooted?

I held both wheel switches down until the screen rebooted. Is there a deeper reboot that I can do without affecting my settings?

Are the ultrasonics the little circles in the bumper area? I see 4 on the front of my MY. Are there hidden ones?

The problem seems to have started when I put my front license plate on. I removed it and the problem did not go away.

Last edited:
Some people have had issues with proximity sensors (the little round things in your bumpers) after applying a paint protection film or a wrap. I have a PPF and am not having issues but ymmv. You might need your ppf installer to cut small holes for the sensors and remove the film on them.

Some people have had issues with proximity sensors (the little round things in your bumpers) after applying a paint protection film or a wrap. I have a PPF and am not having issues but ymmv. You might need your ppf installer to cut small holes for the sensors and remove the film on them.
I have PPF too but the problem started a month after I had that put on.

If you go to the Car Menu and click on Service > Notifications does anything show up about missing sensors?

what firmware are you on- every once in a while there’s a bug where ultrasonics won’t work in given scenarios because Tesla goofed something up.

And what testing have you done to verify the ultrasonics aren’t working?

If you go to the Car Menu and click on Service > Notifications does anything show up about missing sensors?

what firmware are you on- every once in a while there’s a bug where ultrasonics won’t work in given scenarios because Tesla goofed something up.

And what testing have you done to verify the ultrasonics aren’t working?

2020.40.3. No messages. No red lines, distances or chimes from the front. Rear seems to work ok.

Seriously I can't confirm. My thought process is that you have potentially hindered the sensor by blocking its sensing surface with some material. Before looking at any other cause, I would start by removing that. If you go see Tesla service, I bet they will start there too...

I held both wheel switches down until the screen rebooted. Is there a deeper reboot that I can do without affecting my settings?

Are the ultrasonics the little circles in the bumper area? I see 4 on the front of my MY. Are there hidden ones?

The problem seems to have started when I put my front license plate on. I removed it and the problem did not go away.