Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensor Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started having problems a month or so ago.
Same one car garage.
Same clutter etc as before when I didn’t have a problem.
As I’m backing out the car will stop and go into park!
Sometimes 3 or 4 times.
It stops sudden too.
When I told service they told me it’s $175 to diagnose!
I also told them my 2014 model S will not go in or out of the garage anymore on Summon.
The lights go on, the tires move a little then it shuts down. Over and over.
Service says that’s a different problem. Another $175 to diagnose that.
Any comments about this?

@Horrible Mine sometimes backs out and other times not. I gave up as the sensors are working - you can see they are working as it shows on the IC when an object is near. Not worth the hassle having Tesla to look at it. I just get in the car and drive it out.

I'm not sure I understand what @Horrible is expecting from this thread.
You are experience issues with two different vehicles under what are somewhat different situations as I understand it.
While I understand both occur backing out of your garage, one as you acknowledge is potentially related to the sensor in the driver seat that detects occupant while the other is related to behavior of summon on a vehicle with noone in it.
I'm not sure what is puzzling or surprising about Tesla telling you what the diagnostic fee is in advance for each separate vehicle and likely separate problems.

I'm obviously missing something as the response from Tesla service seems perfectly in line with their current service practices to disclose diagnostic fee that will be charged in the case the visit results in no actual component failure being detected and repaired.

Do you turn around and look backward when leaving your garage? If so, you probably lift your butt off the seat sensor. Given the low speed you would be driving, the car will stop instantly.