Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensors on Model X Picking up non-existent objects?

Product_Guy

Sep 6, 2016
USA
I was pulling out of a parallel parking spot today and my Model X started chiming like crazy, warning me that I was about to hit something. I got out of the car and didn't see anything that I was close to hitting. I got back in the car and started again and the same thing happened. I got out again and looked under the car and still did not see anything. I went ahead and pulled out and everything was fine, but the Model X kept chiming.

After I got on the road, it rapidly chimed again and showed ~8 cars on the dashboard screen all stacked on top of each other.

This was the front, right sensor. Any ideas why this happened? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
I was pulling out of a parallel parking spot today and my Model X started chiming like crazy, warning me that I was about to hit something. I got out of the car and didn't see anything that I was close to hitting. I got back in the car and started again and the same thing happened. I got out again and looked under the car and still did not see anything. I went ahead and pulled out and everything was fine, but the Model X kept chiming.

After I got on the road, it rapidly chimed again and showed ~8 cars on the dashboard screen all stacked on top of each other.

This was the front, right sensor. Any ideas why this happened? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Man, that needed a pic to post! I think that also needs a call to the SC to have them look at the logs. May/probably is a bad sensor or something was reflecting weirdly?

Product_Guy

Sep 6, 2016
USA
Man, that needed a pic to post! I think that also needs a call to the SC to have them look at the logs. May/probably is a bad sensor or something was reflecting weirdly?

I tried to get a picture of all the cars that popped up on the screen, but they went away fairly quickly. If it happens again I’ll try to get a picture.

I just talked to the service center (already had an appointment for Monday) and she just laughed and said it should be fine. She said it’s more than likely just a faulty sensor.

boaterva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
I tried to get a picture of all the cars that popped up on the screen, but they went away fairly quickly. If it happens again I’ll try to get a picture.

I just talked to the service center (already had an appointment for Monday) and she just laughed and said it should be fine. She said it’s more than likely just a faulty sensor.
I assume they mean it's okay to drive until you bring it in, but that sure sounds weird. :D Don't try to drive through any other piles of eight cars!

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
@Product_Guy, you weren't following a truck hauling cars by any chance?
Car_brokers_auto_transport_reviews_and_testimonies.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: boaterva

T3xrr

Jun 24, 2017
San diego

Ever heard of haunted cars?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC