Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry alarm in dog mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave my dog in the car while I do sales calls of 15-45 min duration. Today I got an alert that my alarm was triggered, I ran out to my car to find the alarm blaring and my poor dog frantic. What would make the alarm go off in dog mode and how can I keep this from happening again? I’ve had my Model 3 only 1 month, still learning..

Dog Mode doesn’t disable the standard alarm or Sentry Mode. It does disable the optional Tilt/Intrusion alarm, but you can override that. Activity inside the car shouldn’t trigger either Sentry Mode or the standard alarm, which is why they don’t get automatically disabled. You can always disable them manually when using Dog Mode. There’s currently no setting to do this automatically.

Dog Mode doesn’t disable the standard alarm or Sentry Mode. It does disable the optional Tilt/Intrusion alarm, but you can override that. Activity inside the car shouldn’t trigger either Sentry Mode or the standard alarm, which is why they don’t get automatically disabled. You can always disable them manually when using Dog Mode. There’s currently no setting to do this automatically.

Dog mode *does* indeed disable sentry mode. The modal even says this explicitly.

Reactions: 101dals
Where in the manual does it say that?
It's on the *modal* that appears when enabling dog mode. It's also on the Tesla support site:

"Note: Dog Mode and Sentry Mode cannot be active at the same time."

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks for the info. I‘m surprised the manual doesn’t say anything about Dog Mode and Sentry Mode not working together, because it does say that Camp Mode and Sentry Mode can’t be used together. I’m looking at the newest Model 3 manual that was just published. I don’t use Dog Mode, so I was going by what it says in the manual.

The other day I put my car in Dog mode to go get a quick bite. It’s was only 45 degrees outside but as a new owner I wanted to test it. The car was parked in sun. After about 5 minutes in the restaurant I got a warning from the app that dog mode had shut down and to return to the car immediately. I went to the car and indeed in was about 78 inside. No danger to the pups but certainly disconcerting. I started dog mode again and went back to the restaurant only to have it happen again. Returned to the car and it was 78 degrees as before. So, I wanted to finish my meals so I just cranked the AC down too max low, 66 degrees and went back to the resturant and finished my meal while watching the temp fall to about 70 degrees and remain there but I was not in dog mode. Just cranking the AC with the app. Any ideas here? Am I doing something wrong? Is the care defective in this respect? Or, is this a typical experience. If the latter is the case this function is worthless

The other day I put my car in Dog mode to go get a quick bite. It’s was only 45 degrees outside but as a new owner I wanted to test it. The car was parked in sun. After about 5 minutes in the restaurant I got a warning from the app that dog mode had shut down and to return to the car immediately. I went to the car and indeed in was about 78 inside. No danger to the pups but certainly disconcerting. I started dog mode again and went back to the restaurant only to have it happen again. Returned to the car and it was 78 degrees as before. So, I wanted to finish my meals so I just cranked the AC down too max low, 66 degrees and went back to the resturant and finished my meal while watching the temp fall to about 70 degrees and remain there but I was not in dog mode. Just cranking the AC with the app. Any ideas here? Am I doing something wrong? Is the care defective in this respect? Or, is this a typical experience. If the latter is the case this function is worthless
Was the battery down to around 20%? That would disable some of those features.