Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry/Alarm - Triggered by Precondition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife's M3LR is parked outside at her work Monday to Friday. We have it set to depart the location at 430pm so the car is warmed up and ready for her.
Twice in the last 2 weeks at around 411pm I get an alert on my phone that Sentry has been triggered and the Alarm is going off. I text my wife, she has gone to the car, there is a Sentry alert but absolutely no activity anywhere near the car and the car alarm was not going off.

The only thing I can think of is on a cold day (we're in Northern Ontario) that the car is blowing max defrost and perhaps her parking pass on her rearview mirror moves a little bit? It would happen most days though if it was that. Strange it only has happened twice. Also strange that car isnt actually alarming - its not blaring music or anything just says the alarm was triggered in the app.

Thoughts?

I've had a similar thing happen twice in the last week on our MYLR, but it did trigger the external alarm and the internal music. Message on the app is "Sentry mode has triggered the alarm state". Both times it happened around 1 minute after preconditioning had started. I've logged via Service.

I've experienced this 3 times, all after starting the climate controls from my phone.

Then today the alarm went off while it was up on a lift at a garage... no climate controls involved but the "mechanic" was hammering away trying to remove the break caliper. Crossing fingers he didn't do too much damage.

I dont precondition anywhere that I use sentry, but I wonder if its not the high voltage contactors engaging (that loud click/thump) when the battery is engaged either when charging or before use.

I've gotten lots of sentry alerts in my time, but only once has it actually set off the alarm, so its not surprising to me there would be an event logged without escalating to the alarm going off.

I dont precondition anywhere that I use sentry, but I wonder if its not the high voltage contactors engaging (that loud click/thump) when the battery is engaged either when charging or before use.

I've gotten lots of sentry alerts in my time, but only once has it actually set off the alarm, so its not surprising to me there would be an event logged without escalating to the alarm going off.
Sentry should keep the contactors closed, so that’s not a likely cause.

So my wife's M3LR is parked outside at her work Monday to Friday. We have it set to depart the location at 430pm so the car is warmed up and ready for her.
Twice in the last 2 weeks at around 411pm I get an alert on my phone that Sentry has been triggered and the Alarm is going off. I text my wife, she has gone to the car, there is a Sentry alert but absolutely no activity anywhere near the car and the car alarm was not going off.

The only thing I can think of is on a cold day (we're in Northern Ontario) that the car is blowing max defrost and perhaps her parking pass on her rearview mirror moves a little bit? It would happen most days though if it was that. Strange it only has happened twice. Also strange that car isnt actually alarming - its not blaring music or anything just says the alarm was triggered in the app.

Thoughts?

Had it also this morning. Started preconditioning the car and after one minute the alarm was triggered with the loud music.
Exactly what you need at 6am.

So only fix is to disable sentry mode before conditioning?
I really don't understand why they can't fix this.

I really don't understand how they caused this in recent updates.
This has been happening to me. I like to cool down my car as I get ready to go to my car and venting the window or cooling down my car will trigger the alarm. Very annoying.
Screenshot_20230807_154813_Chrome.jpg